Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 08 Tuono randomly stalls/dies

08 Tuono randomly stalls/dies

Hey all-

2008 Tuono on map2, Akras, 17000 miles.

While riding, after 30 minutes or so especially after holding a constant throttle for a while, the bike simply quits. Punching the kill switch off/on or turning the key off and on immediately fixes it, for a while. 10 or so minutes later - bam, dead, like it's out of gas. I've gotten really good at thumbing the kill switch off and on while riding. Just to be clear, switching off and on clears it up like nothing ever happened, then after a while it dies again. Occasionally it will stumble and lose power, and the more load on the engine the worse it gets, but usually it simply quits at a small, constant throttle setting. The dash/gauges stay live the whole time, so it's not a main power fault.

Tank vent lines clear, no error codes, no warning lights, tiny hoses were cracked and replaced last year.

I haven't checked the fuel pump lines, but I'm not sure how they would cause this problem.

When it's running right it's super strong and smooth from bottom to top. I'm thinking it's fuel delivery related but I don't know where to start. I'm going to pull the pump out and replace the hoses, what else should I look for while I'm under the tank?

Thanks
    Last edited by beernutt; 06-09-2016 at 03:19 PM.

Trying to remember - aren't the kill switch and the stand sensor on the same circuit?

If the kill switch really clears it up, I would look for a culprit related to that circuit first of all before going down the rabbit hole of replacing mechanicals.

Turning the key off and on fixes it, too. Not just the kill switch.

apriliaforum expert
    Check your kill switch for broken solder joints, also check for wiring issues. Same goes for ignition. You might have the dreaded ignition wire issue that is on its way to competently breaking.

They are the same symptoms I had with an electrical connector failure. Very frustrating problem and I had to wait until it became permanant to diagnose it. By that time I was getting the ecu disconnect symbol on the dash. The problem connector was where the wires from the ignition switch plugs into loom. It didn't thow any dash errors but it probably wouldn't hurt to check.

The stand switch is not on this circuit as I wondered about above, just checked the diagram, but it could be either the kill switch itself (I remember somebody here had to replace a bad one a couple of years ago), or as stated above the actual ignition switch - there were quite a few folks needing to replace that over the years....

I'll check those out, but wouldn't the ignition switch faulting also shut down the gauges/dash? All the electrics stay powered when the bike dies.

apriliaforum expert norcolmille's Avatar
    at idle - the small MAP sensor vacuum line replacement was a fix for many Gen 2's - it is a cheap fix to lift the tank and check them on the left ( drivers side US ) side it is hard to find the cracks on the small vacuum lines so just replace them

as always search is your friend
    present
    Now a Gen2 "Factory" Tuono
    Last "Nera" RSVR sold to a good home pictured

5 past Apes and other rides too numerous to mention

Checked and fixed the MAP sensor lines, mentioned that in the original post.

I would only be guessing but I assumed that in my case the ecu detects the split second loss of power from the ignition and shuts the spark/injection down to protect the engine, leaving the dash lit up. Thus it's easy enough to reset and hit the starter to continue on.
    If it is a broken wire/bad connector, it will only get worse and a lot longer between restarts. This is also a very dangerous situation and I would not ride the bike until it's sorted. I have a great tech who diagnosed my issue in about 2hrs.
    As the guys have mentioned above, easy things you can check like battery terminals tight and clean, earths to the engine tight and clean, sidestand switch, tip over switch, neutral light and clutch safety switch are worth checking first.

I've checked the more obvious stuff, battery connectors, fuses for bad contacts/corrosion, sidestand switch etc. It doesn't seem electrical, it really seems to be a fuel delivery problem.

The weird thing is that sometimes it doesn't just die, it just runs badly, as in severe power loss, stumbling at larger throttle openings. It will go on like that indefinitely until I switch it off and on. It doesn't backfire or smell rich while this is happening, as it did when the MAP lines were damaged. It sounds, smells and feels severely lean as if the fuel pump was failing or the filter was clogged. Turn the key off and on, and it runs great again for a while.

Fuel pressure regulator? Fuel pump going bad? Why does turning it off and on make those better immediately?

There have been some failed ignition switches.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU

apriliaforum expert norcolmille's Avatar
    beer I think you described the issue - fuel pump, collapsed internal tank fuel lines, I would look there ....it can be electrical but ....

and of course let us know what you find that fixes it ....
    present
    Now a Gen2 "Factory" Tuono
    Last "Nera" RSVR sold to a good home pictured

5 past Apes and other rides too numerous to mention

Guzzi Trailer Representative ceeco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by norcolmille View Post
    beer I think you described the issue - fuel pump, collapsed internal tank fuel lines, I would look there ....it can be electrical but ....

and of course let us know what you find that fixes it ....
    Ya, was thinking maybe the cycling of ignition is priming the fuel pump and it gets enough fuel to keep running?

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by beernutt View Post
    I've checked the more obvious stuff, battery connectors, fuses for bad contacts/corrosion, sidestand switch etc. It doesn't seem electrical, it really seems to be a fuel delivery problem.

The weird thing is that sometimes it doesn't just die, it just runs badly, as in severe power loss, stumbling at larger throttle openings. It will go on like that indefinitely until I switch it off and on. It doesn't backfire or smell rich while this is happening, as it did when the MAP lines were damaged. It sounds, smells and feels severely lean as if the fuel pump was failing or the filter was clogged. Turn the key off and on, and it runs great again for a while.

Fuel pressure regulator? Fuel pump going bad? Why does turning it off and on make those better immediately?
    My 2007 Tuono Factory has the same problem. I have checked hoses, wiring, connectors...3 times. It is time to pull tank and fuel pump, check those hoses and replace the pump if I find nothing else wrong....any final thoughts before I go in?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast