Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohlins 30mm cartridges vs TTX 25 cartridges?

Ohlins 30mm cartridges vs TTX 25 cartridges?

So, I recently upgraded the factory Ohlins shock on my 2013 Factory to a TTX GP (got it from a place that sells them for the best deal you'll find ANYWHERE). Anyways, this has me thinking that I may want to upgrade the front forks.

Now, I'll be honest. The better part of me is just doing this because I can. In other words, I have the money, I like spending it on my bike (like most of you do), and even if I can't ride the bike to the limit, I like having really well performing suspension.

So, I'm considering upgrading the front forks to either the Ohlins 30mm cartridges or the TTX 25 cartridges. Now, one of the things I understand about the TTX 25 cartridges is that they take someone really knowledgeable to tune them, and they also take a very good shop with the proper experience (and tools) in order to service them, as oppose to the more traditional 30mm cartridges.

I'm right down the road from EDR Performance that does indeed have the tools and the capability to tune and maintain the TTX 25 cartridges. My issue is that this bike is probably 80% street (spirited back road riding) and 20% track. As far as track riding goes I would think of myself as intermediate. I've been riding for almost 15 years and while I'm no pro racer, I'm also no slouch either.

I know what most people will tell me, that either of these are probably overkill for the road. I understand that, I do, but so is a full system exhaust and most of the other crap we do. Sport bikes in general are overkill for the road, so I'm not really looking to hear that argument.

I'm interesting in hearing from people who have experience running either of these cartridges on bikes that see both road and track. I'd love to hear someone who has ran either of these cartridges along with the stock cartridges as well. I'm interested in how they compare to the stock Ohlins forks.

I've searched the hell out of this on the forum (and the rest of Google) and I'm leaning more towards the 30mm cartridges. Just hoping to hear some other opinions (from people who have ran either of these) as well.

Thanks in advance!
    2013 Aprilia RSV4 Factory SE

Aprilia RSV4 & Tuono V4 Owners Facebook Group
    Digital Sky Design (My Web Design Company)
    My Facebook Profile

Ktech. Especially with EDR right by you.

at the track 20 plus days a year, the consensus seems to be 25mm set up lighter and better, if your race fast you will notice, 30mm good for all mortals and a little more complaint than stock, you should notice an improvement. But take a careful look at recommended maintenances intervals, once a year for 30mm, every 20 hours for 25! or at least twice a season minimum, there performance is supposed to fall off pretty fast, really only a race/track bike super serious fast kinda part.

people will disagree but this comes from the small percentage of people there that I've learned whose opinions to trust through the years, I'm middle to upper third pack in the fast group and they recommend better internals on stock or 30mm at most is all I need unless I get up to local race pace(about 10 seconds a lap to go )

Quote Originally Posted by drvacation View Post
    at the track 20 plus days a year, the consensus seems to be 25mm set up lighter and better, if your race fast you will notice, 30mm good for all mortals and a little more complaint than stock, you should notice an improvement. But take a careful look at recommended maintenances intervals, once a year for 30mm, every 20 hours for 25! or at least twice a season minimum, there performance is supposed to fall off pretty fast, really only a race/track bike super serious fast kinda part.

people will disagree but this comes from the small percentage of people there that I've learned whose opinions to trust through the years, I'm middle to upper third pack in the fast group and they recommend better internals on stock or 30mm at most is all I need unless I get up to local race pace(about 10 seconds a lap to go )
    Good input! I definitely don't want something that needs to be serviced every 20 hours, that would be too much for where I am at. This is another reason I've been leaning towards the 30mm as well.

I just wonder if the 30mm will yield any noticeable improvement for on-road situations (I know it would on the track) for all the times that I'm out doing 'fast' spirited back-road riding.

My Facebook Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Wyckedan View Post
    Ktech. Especially with EDR right by you.

This is an option I hadn't looked into but will have to ask them about when I pick up the bike. I assume this utilizes the stock Ohlins forks with different internals?

My Facebook Profile

30mm is a cavitating piece of rubbish, OEM is far better. OEM with Ktech inserts is even better.

For the road, just spring your standard carts and if you are at the limit of any adjustment with the new springs, change the shimstack to suit.

I was slower on the race track with 30mm over standard 25s with Ktech.

Spending money for the sake of it when you cant fault your OEM product is madness.
    Aprilia RSV4 Factory WSBK APX2 Superbike - See the build here or Follow the Build on INSTAGRAM here

Need Titanium Aprilia Caliper bolts? Buy HERE

Aims to be an honest/upstanding Trader on the forum - See my feedback here

EDR is very competent, they will be able to set up both cartridges well. However.....the 30mm setup is very sensitive to oil level and works better with hard riding. (ie, the more the piston moves, the better they work)

The 25mm setup is very hard to beat! It is the best overall system for street / track. The 5mm smaller piston gives you better control with your settings.

Also talk to EDR about the K Tech piston kits for your forks. They work almost as well as the 25mm setup, the only disadvantage is changing springs is not so easy as the 25mm cartridge.

Okay. I'm going to talk to EDR then and see what they suggest for my forks.

For some reason I have this notion in my head that Ohlins is king, and it sounds like that's dead wrong. I hadn't heard about KTech until now, but from what you guys are saying they may very well be a better option than Ohlins (probably cheaper too!).

If that's the case, I'm sure EDR can steer me in the right direction.

My Facebook Profile

Quote Originally Posted by P51Jockey View Post
    The 25mm setup is very hard to beat! It is the best overall system for street / track. The 5mm smaller piston gives you better control with your settings.
    I assume you're referring to the stock 25 mm Ohlins cartridges (meaning the ones that come in the RSV4 Factory Ohlins forks) and not the TTX 25, right?

My Facebook Profile

Common misconception You're up north, contact Barry @ KFG and their GP Tech 25mm setup. Very good!

Quote Originally Posted by dastrix View Post
    30mm is a cavitating piece of rubbish, OEM is far better. OEM with Ktech inserts is even better.

For the road, just spring your standard carts and if you are at the limit of any adjustment with the new springs, change the shimstack to suit.

I was slower on the race track with 30mm over standard 25s with Ktech.

Spending money for the sake of it when you cant fault your OEM product is madness.
    Well, I'm glad I asked because now you guys all have me thinking I'm going to avoid the Ohlins cartridges altogether!

I wouldn't have even got a TTX GP rear shock to be honest, it was just so cheap that I couldn't pass it up.

My Facebook Profile

Quote Originally Posted by PumpinIron View Post
    I assume you're referring to the stock 25 mm Ohlins cartridges (meaning the ones that come in the RSV4 Factory Ohlins forks) and not the TTX 25, right?
    Other than the construction of the Ohlins factory fork being a little better, they are the same.

Gotcha!

My Facebook Profile

Ktech is a great choice, but your/their right a good revalve /heart transplant is a great result with minimal maintenance, some people also say having stock ohlins modified or about any other high quality shock better choice for rear then ttx

Ok, I could be wrong on my explaination or terms on this so I apologize if I'm off on this but here goes...

When I bought my RSV4 last year I took it to EDR to get it the suspension setup and get it ready for the track Eric mentioned revalving the stock Ohlins internals and was something to do with the mid valving and it was about $300 for the kit. When they took my forks apart to service and set them up my bike already had it done but I was going to do it from their recommendation.

I would check with them about that option if you don't want to spend as much for a full new cartridge kit. Just an option and sorry for the poor explanation.
    2010 RSV4 Factory
    2006 Paul Smart LE
    2014 Beta 520 RS
    2012 Panigale Tricolore - Sold

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast