Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oxford heated grips easily accessible power source?

apriliaforum expert dadsafrantic's Avatar
    that's a puzzle i'm going to look at.
    Dadsafrantic

2015 Red Caponord #64
    2008 Mana Grey #81, hyperpro springs and shock, gpr furuore, rigid lights, bark busters, kaoko throttle lock, puig touring screen

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Just found my connector on my 09 model. I wondered if it would supply my sat nav as well as the heated grip. It's a 3 way connector, but only has the two blue and black wires.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180324_145032_resized_2[332].jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	492.0 KB 
ID:	353859

Connector on the picture looks like one for diagnostic.

Yes, that's the diagnostic connector, leave it alone.

What's wrong with just connecting them to the battery?
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Oh, I stand corrected, but it's in the place behind the plastic coolant expansion tank as described in previous pictures and text. This has to be moved out of the way, and even then the plug is tightly fastened to the loom with only just enough slack to move it an inch. It just seems a pig of a place to put a diagnostic connector.
    The sat nav and grips were connected via an inline fuse direct to the battery when I bought the bike Pete, but I was wanting to tidy things up and have them wired to switch off through the ignition switch.
    Al.
    Last edited by bikeralw; 03-26-2018 at 03:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TimLSR View Post
    Brown, blue, black, that is the one according to the wiring diagram and colour codes. Black is power, blue is ground, and brown when shorted to ground *might* light up a grip indicator on the console. On our Mana, I seem to recall that the brown was not present. For grip heaters this is the best connection point as it comes right off a fused, switched relay.
    Hope that helps,
    Tim

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
    If the wires are black and blue, this should be the heated grip connector. I don't know the diagnostic port wire coding, but I check it out on the diagram later tonight. As for adding the GPS in addition to the grip heaters, that should not pose a problem. A GPS will pull an amp at most which should overload the circuit.
    Tim

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Cheers Tim. It's a bit confusing I must admit. but the wires are without doubt, one blue and one black. I've ordered a male connector to plug into it to connect the sat nav and heated grips, but Pete and biondiba's comments have thrown a spanner in the works a bit. I've looked at the wiring diagram on the previous page and both the diagnostic sockets have a yellow and black wire. Try as I might I can't find either of those sockets behind the coolant reservoir.
    Al.

OK, I could be mistaken but it sure looks like the diagnostic port to me. Usually accessed through the battery orifice in the storage compartment. Does the ABS have a similar but separate connector for PADS? I can't remember.

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

Hi Al,
    As Pete mentioned, the diagnostic port should NOT be behind the radiator, but around the battery and easier to access.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Yep, found the diagnostic port behind the battery. So I'm more or less convinced that the connector with the blue and black wires behind the expansion tank is the one designed to feed the heated grips. However, I'll heed the words of caution and double check with a voltmeter, and trace the positive wire back to the relevant fuse before I connect anything to it. I'll update when it's all up and running.
    Al.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Right, finally got round to connecting the heated grips and GPS to this connector, I've made up the other half of the waterproof connector so as not to have to cut the plug off the bike wiring. Before I connect anything to it I've just hooked up my voltmeter which confirms no power with the ignition switched on, but power when the engine is running. Can those who have used this accessory socket confirm that this is correct?
    Al.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Just to update on this. The heated grips and sat nav both work fine from this connection. The supply isn't live unless the engine is actually running. I've now been able to junk the grip's massive master switch and six feet of wiring that was cluttering up the helmet compartment, as well as getting rid of the extra connections to the battery that were such a pain in the confined space.
    Cheers to those that discovered the hidden accessory socket.
    Al.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12