Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modified Ignition Coils

Modified Ignition Coils

Ok there has been some discussion on here of late about alternative coils and how to make them work on our beloved caponords. Over 2 years ago I modified some Renualt V6 pencil coils to fit as others had done however I believe I did the HT lead end differently to how some have and seeing as mine have been fine for some time now even in the sunny weather we get in Yorkshire (!) I guess it was a successful way to go and thought it was time to share this.

Right before I start if you want to go monkeying around with your bikes ignition system feel free to follow my way however if you get it wrong or don't win the lottery this week don't blame me!!!

I decided to make up a spare coil as I'm off on a big euro trip, two up, as far as Italy this year and working on the principle that if I have a spare with me I won't need it thought it a good idea to do this. I used a Haas coil part number 413 74 5171 and bought this online for just over £18 delivered, I take no credit for working out these work on our bikes but the low tension connection is identical so no bike wiring mods are needed.

New coil alongside a standard Sagem coil.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	521.8 KB 
ID:	299028

First thing is to remove the HT rubber boot and contact spring from the new coil.

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	471 
Size:	517.9 KB 
ID:	299029

As you can see the HT connection at the bottom of the new coil is much shorter that the OE one and this is where my way to mod a coil differs I believe, what I do is make a sleeve to fit on the new coil to make the dimensions the same as the OE unit and to do this I use......

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	532.6 KB 
ID:	299030
    One of these, a simple cartridge nozzle, first thing to do is drill out the threaded opening until its a nice snug fit over the base of the new coil. To do this I use a cone drill and just drill out the first couple of threads.

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	535.3 KB 
ID:	299031
    When this is a nice snug fit I cut off the nozzle at the required length so when fitted to the new coil it is the same length as the OE one.

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	521.0 KB 
ID:	299032
    I then superglue the sleeve onto the base of the new coil, then I cut off the redundant mounting bracket off the new coil and dress the cut up with a file to smooth the body up.

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	496.3 KB 
ID:	299033
    I also cut off the LT connection webbing as it stops the rubber mounting boot going on fully.

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	494.7 KB 
ID:	299034
    Wrap some insulation tape around the top of the sleeve and swap the rubber boot over from the old coil and your done!

Name:	9.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	506.1 KB 
ID:	299035

Now I go one step further and wrap my spare coil in plastic bags like this

Name:	10.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	519.9 KB 
ID:	299036
    And then cable tie it to my Givi pannier rack support behind my number plate

Name:	11.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	481.7 KB 
ID:	299037
    You can just see it in this photo, its out the way and protected from the elements by the bags, I have carried one of my old coils as a spare there for years with no issues.

Total time to do all this is less than half an hour and total saving against a new OE coil is massive! I have moved the front coils to the back on my bike and made a bracket up to carry them at the back of the fuel tank. All I have to do now to change any coil is remove riders seat and I believe I could change a coil out at the side of the road in less than 45mins using the one stashed on my pannier support.

Pugwash
    Remember, you cannot outrun a motorola!

2003 Caponord
    2007 FJR1300AS
    2010 KLX250

The coil's ht connection seems very similar to the new aprilia coils

https://www.pols.gr/poll-pl-si-stes-...a.html?search=

apriliaforum expert Stanleybobly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bros400pgm View Post
    The coil's ht connection seems very similar to the new aprilia coils

https://www.pols.gr/poll-pl-si-stes-...a.html?search=
    that webshop sells a car coil with a cutted off mounting bracket

sold: "01 Caponord |Flame Red|, Modlist done: Honda CBR600 RR Mosfet (FH008) Rectifier Mod, Brown Connector Mod
    now: "04 Caponord |Rally Raid| FH016 Mosfet R/R | GPR Titanium Exhaust|
    01 Futura [infinity blue]
    Caponord Stanleybobly style loomed MOSFET Rectifiers & Fuelline Kit FS

Thanks for posting the detailed process. I don't think we can have enough detailed threads on how to fit different coils.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanleybobly View Post
    that webshop sells a car coil with a cutted off mounting bracket
    That coil is oem aprilia... Probably aprilia watched the forum

So It seems the part number is AP81248646.

There is also a AP8124864-W1 which comes with a new lead which may be something the German distributor wedel came up with.
    Last edited by deefred; 02-02-2016 at 03:44 AM.
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch. EBC 320mm brake discs
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I hope this is the correct thread(since it says "modified"),now to the message.
    Since my capo burned the rear cylinder coils and had them changed with used jcis,I also bought 2 after market renault megane ones.the problem with them is that they use a different connector,so I've been wondering whether there are male-female connectors of the coils the capo uses.
    So what type of connector do the capo coils use?
    And what type of connector does the megane?
    Otherwise they are perfect much and way cheaper!

Στάλθηκε από το SM-G950F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Name:	aem-pencil-coil-ignition-coils.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	481.2 KB 
ID:	340751Click image for larger version. 

ID:	340751

I wonder if this ford coil would work.
    Loki J. Prankster
    In my life, it's not the choices I make, it's the chances I take that influence my life the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksaplostra View Post
    I hope this is the correct thread(since it says "modified"),now to the message.
    Since my capo burned the rear cylinder coils and had them changed with used jcis,I also bought 2 after market renault megane ones.the problem with them is that they use a different connector,so I've been wondering whether there are male-female connectors of the coils the capo uses.
    So what type of connector do the capo coils use?
    And what type of connector does the megane?
    Otherwise they are perfect much and way cheaper!

The coils I used had been found to have the same LT wiring connection and the coils primary resistance was within the specs for an Aprilia coil the only difference being the additional mounting points for its use on a car engine.

Since I did my write up there has been a lot of development done by others into mounting coils directly onto the spark plug, I would suggest looking up the thread about teaching a caponord Japanese for more info on this.

Good luck 🍀

Pugwash
    Remember, you cannot outrun a motorola!

2003 Caponord
    2007 FJR1300AS
    2010 KLX250

apriliaforum expert ravenranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prankster View Post

ID:	340751Click image for larger version. 

ID:	340751

I wonder if this ford coil would work.

I wondered about those, too. Especially for those of us on this side of the pond. I looked at those when I was doing my Japanese coil mod and debated trying them. If they did work, they're definitely a cheap replacement and easily sourced.
    2006 Caponord • 1989 NX250
    IBA#22798 is now #580 • AMA#601202

I don't think they will work, this is from AEM.........The model 30-2850 & 30-2851 CDI Pencil Coils are specially designed for use with high energy CDI systems on doubleoverhead cam engines. DO NOT USE THESE COILS WITHOUT A CDI SYSTEM. Attempting to use these in a dwellcontrolled system (inductive) WILL destroy your ignition amplifier.

I wonder if this is the reason some get EFI flashing on decel....... Make sure to apply a liberal amount of dielectric grease to the connector terminals and thetip and body of the spark plugs. Failure to do this may cause arcs to the cylinder head and cause a misfire.
    2002 Capo Wilbers rear shock, Wilbers front progressive springs, Metal fuel connectors, polaris sh775 series regulator direct wired, silicone vacuum lines, catfish map, CNC clutch slave, autoelectrics coils (2)sides, Triumph Denso 3990's centers, k&n air filter, all LED lighting, SS brake and clutch lines, Givi tall screen, Triumph tiger 955i mirrors, dual horns. Pure copper 4 gauge battery cables. Rox risers.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by bkmo View Post
    I don't think they will work, this is from AEM.........The model 30-2850 & 30-2851 CDI Pencil Coils are specially designed for use with high energy CDI systems on doubleoverhead cam engines. DO NOT USE THESE COILS WITHOUT A CDI SYSTEM. Attempting to use these in a dwellcontrolled system (inductive) WILL destroy your ignition amplifier.

I wonder if this is the reason some get EFI flashing on decel....... Make sure to apply a liberal amount of dielectric grease to the connector terminals and thetip and body of the spark plugs. Failure to do this may cause arcs to the cylinder head and cause a misfire.
    But clio v6 coils are ok right?

You should be able to plug your original coil connector directly into this coil. All the V6 3.0L coils (renault, citroen etc.) should work.
    2002 Capo Wilbers rear shock, Wilbers front progressive springs, Metal fuel connectors, polaris sh775 series regulator direct wired, silicone vacuum lines, catfish map, CNC clutch slave, autoelectrics coils (2)sides, Triumph Denso 3990's centers, k&n air filter, all LED lighting, SS brake and clutch lines, Givi tall screen, Triumph tiger 955i mirrors, dual horns. Pure copper 4 gauge battery cables. Rox risers.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Phew I thought I wasted 50€

apriliaforum prov-nov FuturaWales's Avatar
    I bought 4x Peugeot v6 coils, which i thought were the same as the Citroen ones, but the spark end connector looks like this.

Clearly this cannot connect to the HT lead in the same was as there is no pin.

Do the ones you have referenced to have the pin, and the only difference is that they are shorter on the end? Can someone send a picture to confirm?

That was I can maybe just buy the correct ones instead of trying to modify these ones.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    2002 Flame red RST1000 Futura
    StainTunes Exhaust
    Wilbers Rear Shock (high/low rebound and preload adjustable)
    Brown plug removed - 13.9v currently
    05 map (staintunes with baffles)
    DIN/Hella 12v power outlet
    X-grip phone holder with built in charger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast