Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Flat Tappet problems on 8V Guzzis permed 2012.

apriliaforum expert
    I finally got min done a few months ago with 2,000 miles on it, as Pete said they won't (and wouldn't) do it pre-emptively, despite mine being stored unregistered for years and registered in the period where this really was a known issue with a factory supported fix, so I used it a little and at the first change of sound (which was likely only the need for clearance check) it went back, got the tops off, no marks were found but they took pics of the bike in the workshop, and some 'pics they took' (ahem) and sent in the claim, all approved and bike done, I have to say I couldn't be happier, and the bike is a gem, plus I have the photo's of mine pre-work to prove later there was never an issue, should help the next owner.

All I need now is the factory black hook on panniers which apparently are NLA .......... WTF?

Pics and discussion in this thread and others have helped my result, so big thanks to Pete for all the effort and clarity regarding this issue.

Good outcome but I'd bet anything that the damage was already evident, it is visible long before the black DLC coating begins to de-laminate. Hold the tappet at the right angle in the light and you can see the change in the reflective nature of the coating. That is the first sign and is enough to show the tappet is doomed.

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum newb
    Hi Pete, Thank you for all your input on this! I'm looking at a couple of '07/'08 Norge, one with ~10k miles, one with ~50k. I fully intend on getting the tappets checked, but will the 2-valvers eventually de-laminate as well, just not as quickly, or are these reasonably safe? Is it even possible to do a roller conversion on the older engines?

Quote Originally Posted by brendanclarke View Post
    Hi Pete, Thank you for all your input on this! I'm looking at a couple of '07/'08 Norge, one with ~10k miles, one with ~50k. I fully intend on getting the tappets checked, but will the 2-valvers eventually de-laminate as well, just not as quickly, or are these reasonably safe? Is it even possible to do a roller conversion on the older engines?

The 2-valve motors' top-end is a different design, and isn't effected by this issue.

We did around about 54,000 miles on our 06 Breva. Loved it!
    I think the new owner took it off road and put a hole in the oil pan... I think he was looking into a NTX style skidplate for it.. MY BABY!!!!
    02 aprilia Futura
    15 aprilia Caponord 1200

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankBlank View Post
    The 2-valve motors' top-end is a different design, and isn't effected by this issue.
    cool, good to know, thanks! for my elucidation, what's different about the design? I thought there were all flat tappets too.

The earlier motors were simply an evolution of the same old 2 valve per cylinder pushrod design that had been wheezing out of Mandello since 1967. Don't get me wrong, it was a great motor but was so far past its use by date it wasn't funny.

Yes, it too uses flat tappets but the whole valvetrain design is different and the tappets are neither DLC coated or vulnerable to the issues that plagued the early 'Nuovo Hi-Cam' 8V design.

There are only a couple of issues with the 2V Norges. Firstly there was a very short run of bad oil pumps that shattered their rotors. To the best of my knowledge these were only in a short run of 2008 bikes and they all seem to have been red! The second thing is that to check the oil you need to remove the LH fairing panel which is a king sized PITA exacerbated by the fact that the panels are all very, very flimsy to reduce weight. Carefully check the fairing panels for damage because they often are.

Another slightly annoying thing is that you have to take off those fragile panels to balance the TB's which shouldn't be an issue but unfortunately the only screw visible with the panels on is the throttle stop screw which should never be touched and needless to say that often proves too tempting for 'Harry Hometune' who will dig out the paint and then dick about with the screw rendering the bike untuneable! Check the screw is still sealed with paint or you open yourself up to a world of pain!

Pete

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by pete roper View Post
    There are only a couple of issues with the 2V Norges. ...

Pete
    Thanks so much Pete! This is fantastic info. I was aware of the oil pump problems - wouldn't you know it, there is a red '08 up in my area. The screw you're talking about is on the left throttle body, painted yellow? I'll be sure to watch for that. Thanks again!

There are two screws on the left TB. Both have paint on them. One is the throttle stop screw, this should never be touched.

The other is the bell crank screw that controls the relationship between the butterflies of the two throttle bodies and this one can and must be adjusted to ensure correct balance but it is imperative that the TPS be re-set after the high speed balance is achieved.

I've covered how easy it is to service and tune a W5AM Guzzi on multiple boards and almost certainly on this one so I'm not going to do it again for people who are so lazy they need to be spoon fed but it is so simple! Apart from a small bore single cylinder side valve from the 1930's there is, I'd warrant, no simpler bike to tune!

Pete

apriliaforum newb
    Is there any way I can tell if a 2013 Griso has roller tappets or the flat tappets. I have the VIN number.

Thanks

If it's a 13 it will be a roller. The changeover point was March/April 2012. Anything plated as a 13 should be fine. Also the numbers supplied by Piaggio are a bit rubbery so the only way to be 100% certain is whip a rocker cover off foe a looksee.

As I said though I've never seen or heard of a flat tappet 2013 anything except 1200 Sports which were run out over years after manufacturing ceased in 2011 but the Sports were never sold in the US.

Pete

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456