Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much smoke and nice back fire

apriliaforum Junkie

How much smoke and nice back fire

Well took the bike for its Mot last week pulled out to overtake a car seemed to miss but got to Mot station done Mot but running a bit rough so off back home well it was not good missing back fire but was fine as long as I managed to pull away and get upto about 60+ mph and keep it there not an easy task in town as soon as throttle off missing and big big back fire. Engine sounds ok no clanking banging the mechanic at rear of me is into bikes so came for a look at this point I couldn't start it turns over fine then bang big cloud of smoke turns over again then bang big cloud of smoke hmmmmm its like fuel is building up somewhere igniting and causing the big bang. New connector turned up in the week for the guzzidiag software so off out in the shed for a play today straight in first time read faults came up with 2 p0164 and p0184 had a little play and the buttons seemed to work for activating bits like fuel pump battery is fully charged just taken off tender oil looks ok not white or missing and water looks ok in the expansion tank none gone. I did put the baffles back in the Arrow cans for Mot pulled them when I got home and are covered in a nice film of what looks like soot. Haven't tried to start it since this happened as i thought I would see if there was any codes as nothing came up on the dash so anybody any ideas???? and it had done a whole 77 miles since last Mot
    Last edited by oi69; 11-28-2015 at 10:10 AM.

I suspect your lambda (O2) sensor is bad. Replace that, and perhaps your spark plugs too, and you may be good to go.

apriliaforum Junkie
    ok thanks was going to look at that but no space in garage to move at min and thought I would get a few ideas to try before I started looking save looking then asking

Quote Originally Posted by oi69 View Post
    it had done a whole 77 miles since last Mot
    These bikes tend to run better if run regularly.
    I agree with Rule about the lambda sensor. Could even just need a clean.
    Frodo
    2015 Shiver
    New Zealand

apriliaforum Junkie
    yea 77 miles think its got 2700 something on it now and the R6 had 40 miles on it in 4 years hahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    These bikes tend to run better if run regularly.
    I agree with Rule about the lambda sensor. Could even just need a clean.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Checked the wiring today nothing shorted removed fat-duck still the same. Did I read to check the lambda sensor connect it to a meter black wire and earth it heat up look for 1 volt ? Or anything else anybody can think of from the codes I got out of the bike

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by oi69 View Post
    yea 77 miles think its got 2700 something on it now and the R6 had 40 miles on it in 4 years hahahahaha
    I think you can afford to give it a nice new set of plugs then, so as to eliminate them from the equation - no doubt they will be well carboned-up ! Next I'd bite the bullet and swap out the lamda sensor, because I agree it's the most likely culprit. Or you could do that in reverse order....
    Those codes 0164 and 0184 suggest a weak battery on startup ( was it flat from not enough riding?? ) or maybe resistance from gunk on connectors somewhere between battery and throttle bodies. Did you clear them? if so , did they come back?
    Acme Villiers 125 - gone ; Matchless G80 - gone ; Vespa 125 - gone ( first road-registered machine ) ; Bultaco Metralla 1968 - gone ; Bultaco Metralla 1972 - gone ; Ducati SD900 Darmah - gone; Honda CB77 Superhawk - gone ; Moto Guzzi LeMans Mk1 - gone ; Moto Guzzi V65SP - gone ; Honda XLV750 - gone ; Suzuki GF250S - gone ; Suzuki SV650S - gone
    Aprilia SL750 Shiver

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbloke View Post
    I think you can afford to give it a nice new set of plugs then, so as to eliminate them from the equation - no doubt they will be well carboned-up ! Next I'd bite the bullet and swap out the lamda sensor, because I agree it's the most likely culprit. Or you could do that in reverse order....
    Those codes 0164 and 0184 suggest a weak battery on startup ( was it flat from not enough riding?? ) or maybe resistance from gunk on connectors somewhere between battery and throttle bodies. Did you clear them? if so , did they come back?
    Battery was good problem started when I pulled out to overtake a car then got worse on way home till it won't go now at all but turnes over fine. I'll pull sensor and check that when I can get some space to work. I didn't clear codes and have only tried to start it 1x since the problem

apriliaforum Junkie
    Well still not runnng any thoughts before it goes to the shop ?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I had the lambda sensor go bad and it was exactly like you described. At first just the fuel economy was bad and exhaust was covered in soot with bangs in exhaust. Later it started jumping around when holding steady throttle at ~6k rpm and then I was so pissed I unplugged the lambda probe from it's connector and everything was fixed.. Went like that till new one came in. No probs since.

EDIT: OH! I missed the part where you can't start.. It didn't come to that on mine but worth checking - injectors, ignition coils, and then only electrics if the engine didn't sound bad

Did it sit around for a while with shitty (ethanol enhanced) fuel in it?

That can cause major issues.

Another thing it could be is moisture your stator.

I've had that problem with my dirt bike.

I pulled the stator cover and soaked everything in there with WD-40.

Started right up and ran fine after that.
    You don't need to earn my respect.
    I give it freely.
    Whether or not you keep it is entirely up to you.

Have I followed the dates of posts correctly here, oi69?
    You were having issues end of 2015 (MOT time frame), then you've piped back up saying it's off to the shop end of 2016 (a year later)?
    And, back when it was running, you managed 77 miles on the dear girl? (and 40 whatever miles on some Jap bike over 4 years?)
    Now, I'm jumping to the conclusion that you are in some way incapacitated from riding a 2-wheeled vehicle, and for that I am sorry. I do hope you get better soon.
    But, I think you should sell it, whilst it's at the shop getting fixed. Let someone else enjoy it!
    You can pick up some sort of other hobby that suits your condition better? At least until you recover?
    Because it simply seems like the girl is dying of a broken heart (neglect all around)? (from what I can tell!)
    Let us know how ya get on -

apriliaforum Junkie
    They are just toys do I need a reason to ride ???

No it's just a toy for fun

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee_750 View Post
    Have I followed the dates of posts correctly here, oi69?
    You were having issues end of 2015 (MOT time frame), then you've piped back up saying it's off to the shop end of 2016 (a year later)?
    And, back when it was running, you managed 77 miles on the dear girl? (and 40 whatever miles on some Jap bike over 4 years?)
    Now, I'm jumping to the conclusion that you are in some way incapacitated from riding a 2-wheeled vehicle, and for that I am sorry. I do hope you get better soon.
    But, I think you should sell it, whilst it's at the shop getting fixed. Let someone else enjoy it!
    You can pick up some sort of other hobby that suits your condition better? At least until you recover?
    Because it simply seems like the girl is dying of a broken heart (neglect all around)? (from what I can tell!)
    Let us know how ya get on -

of course not mate - fair enough! It just seemed odd to me, so thought I'd see if it were a typo or something!
    (I, and most my mates, put that kind of mileage on in a day/day-and-a-half.)
    Thank god we're all different... world would be a boring place otherwise!
    but, I would still like to know the outcome of the fix?!
    G/L
    ...and enjoy those toys!

apriliaforum Junkie
    well think i might get it to the shop now see if they can fix it been sat there for over a year :-) and everything looks good to me no codes just wont start without loads of smoke and big bang but if i do get it going fine as long as i dont drop the revs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast