Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: Tuono 1100 LED Headlight Mod

Thanks- two years is a long time ago! This automotive LED lighting market seems to grow almost hourly, though I'm not sure how much is genuine technical advancement versus copycatting and cloning.

PIAA just introduced the G3 LED, claiming it more closely resembles a halogen's filament and has more output. But of course they'd say that...pass the salt shaker! They may not fit either in this application, at least without some shadetree engineering. Possibly of interest? Who knows.

https://www.piaa.com/g3ledbulbs

I don't own one of these TV4 1100s yet, but maybe soon. What's that saying about sitting in the barber's chair?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Iam View Post
    So sorry man. Newb to the forum and thought if someone responded to a post, I'd get an email. Now I know.

I did buy the Fluxbeam and not the Fluxbeam X. Opt 7 said that the X may cause issues and as it turned out, the regular ones were perfect. I did go ahead and drill holes and just finished that. I did 2 50 mile rides with the OEM covers sealed and didn't see any ill-effects but I drilled the holes anyway. Here's some pix to hopefully help you out.

Attachment 348379
    Did you do any comparison pics, before and after?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo J View Post
    Thanks- two years is a long time ago! This automotive LED lighting market seems to grow almost hourly, though I'm not sure how much is genuine technical advancement versus copycatting and cloning.

PIAA just introduced the G3 LED, claiming it more closely resembles a halogen's filament and has more output. But of course they'd say that...pass the salt shaker! They may not fit either in this application, at least without some shadetree engineering. Possibly of interest? Who knows.

I don't own one of these TV4 1100s yet, but maybe soon. What's that saying about sitting in the barber's chair?
    I think as is these are too large to fit with the OEM cover, believe similar length to the SuperBrightLEDs kit which someone posted they couldn't fit.
    For Sale : 2016 RSV4 OEM Rear Fender.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Alex View Post
    Did you do any comparison pics, before and after?
    I didn't take any before as it was just stock. I can take some after, however. What would you like to see? Pattern on the wall at 15 ft? Shot of the headlights looking directly at them? From the side? Note** - I haven't aimed my headlights yet but I'm a fairly big boy at 6'4" and 250 lbs (I'm carrying a little holiday weight) and, typically, my wife is my backpack and have yet to be flashed by an oncoming car so I feel fairly good about it's aim. My wife was coming down the same street I was the other day in the opposite direction and said they are bright as heck. (I may or may not have had the front wheel slightly off the ground at the time). I'll have AF1 look at it at the first service coming up.
    2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 RR - The dream bike
    2016 Honda CBR500R - The wife's bike
    2015 Honda Stateline VT1300 - The family truckster

Pattern would be great, or whatever you feel would illustrate the benefits best. Ideally I like the one LED - one Halogen bulb and see how well they focus light as well as how far they throw it. Someone had done a comparison before with a similar idea on video and used a towel to cover one headlight at a time to see how they pair up, afterwards taking some still shots with a good camera. But whatever you feel like doing, pretty shitty here in the northeast right now so I'm just looking at stuff to get for the Spring.
    For Sale : 2016 RSV4 OEM Rear Fender.

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo J View Post

I ordered a set to try these out, I will take some pictures when I get them installed if everything fits.

Beam shots

Besides taking pictures of the beams cast upon a wall, how about finding a spot on a dark road that has some reflectorized features at various distances like signage and Botts Dots? Those can give a better indication of beam reach, especially helpful when you also have stock beam reach pictures for comparison. One good tip for taking these pictures is to use identical exposures for them: find a manually-set shutter speed and aperture combination for the stock beam picture and then repeat it for the upgrade lights. If the latter looks brighter, great, you are putting out more light! If it's dimmer, boo! But don't use the auto exposure metering of your camera because it will try to make an optimum exposure regardless of lighting level, and won't do a good job of capturing the difference in actual lighting levels. I'd recommend manually setting the same white balance for these pictures too, don't let the camera decide.
    Last edited by Ricardo J; 01-12-2018 at 01:51 PM.

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627