Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Moto Guzzi V9 ?

Very true.
    Gil
    'Its only rock n roll but I like it....'

apriliaforum Junkie
    In regards and comparison to the tyre sizes on the Roamer -

I had for a year a shaft drive, single front disk 750cc V twin that made 55hp and wore a 19" front and a 16" rear (sound at all similar?)
    It was the XV Yamaha 750 Virago, and it handled FAR better than it had any right to, so I urge people to try and make up their own minds before criticising something 'different.'

Might just book a test ride myself and see if I am not pleasantly surprised.

Thanks.

I just saw a couple V9s at the local dealer (Moto Int.)...bobber and roamer. Both very good looking bikes IMO. I really like the tank shape, and color schemes. Pictures don't do them justice.
    WMRRA #98
    2013 KTM 990 SMT (street)
    2011 Aprilia RSV4 (race) For Sale: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...ace-Track-Bike

Quote Originally Posted by GuzziOrDeath View Post
    That V9 with the big fat tyres looks ridiculous. Am I allowed to say that?
    That seems to be popular lately. Along with Scrambler versions.
    #1 Forum Magic Missile Caster

"I rode a Griso at when I used to work for Aprilia City in Melbourne. Probably the nicest bike ever" - Cosaro

1972 Laverda SF 750
    2007 Moto Guzzi Griso 1100
    2003 Moto Guzzi California Titanium 1100 - for sale

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wilson View Post

And has anyone actually ridden a V9 yet?
    I just test-rode a Roamer last week at a show here in Europe and the experience was largely positive.

My perspective: I'm on a Caponord 1200 now and my previous rides were 650 Kawasaki standards (KZ, Versys).

- Pros: lots of torque quickly off of idle, and surprisingly good handling (I was worried about the effects of the cylinders out to the sides)

- Cons: not sure if it's the shaft, the torque or what, but hard to control acceleration at low speeds (easier with practice I'm sure), really easy to scrape the pegs, I think because they are low, which was good for my leg comfort but bad for turns, and yet default shift lever position almost unusable for my 6'2" frame (probably adjustable)

Overall I was pleasantly surprised by a clean basic bike that reminded me of my 70's KZ in all good ways, but with fuel injection, ABS, ride-by-wire and all that goodness available today. The weight of the bike is also quite decent, not up to Ducati/KTM or Z650/MT-07 standards, but better than many.

apriliaforum Junkie
    How did you find the shin room against the cylinder heads?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wilson View Post
    How did you find the shin room against the cylinder heads?
    Much to my surprise there was no issue there.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Ok, its just that with my ride style I like to move as far forward as possible and with the forward controls placing the lower leg as far to the front as it can go, it kinda limited what I could do after that.

Glad you liked it though.

(Did you get that crazy flashing light on the instrument? Took me a while to figure out that it represents a very low running in RPM limiter and its easily hit.
    Probably spoilt by my rev loving Bellagio and its want to 'get up and boogie.")

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Finally got around to running the V9 demo bike on the dyno, with latest mapping update. The dyno more or less confirms that while more powerful than the shorter stroke, 4mm smaller piston V7 III version of the motor, the V9 is made to pull off the bottom and the gear ratios are much more appropriate for sedate rpm's at cruise speeds. The dyno chart posted is of the V9 (more power) and V7 III (higher redline, though neither motor was pulled to rev limit, as once power starts to drop off no point in high rpm). Both of the motors V9/V7III with the new non heron design heads have more potential for aftermarket parts than the Heron head motors ever did. Hopefully will soon have a dyno graph to add with pipes on a V7 III for confirmation of theory, have at least one customer looking to extract whatever the bike can make in terms of reasonable gains, he is ever going to 4mm overbore pistons over the winter.

While the V9 does not present spectacular dyno numbers, it does indeed work very well and run very smoothly across a broad rpm range and the taller gearing is a plus for me, as the bike is not really designed to be an around town racer.

Please discuss if so inclined. Both bikes are equal in mileage, broken in and dead stock.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234