Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: EvoTech radiator guard

apriliaforum Junkie
    Last night in 48 degree weather, here in Portland, OR, the bike would get up to 214, before the fans kick on and move the temp down to 204, where they would shut off. This was exactly the same behavior as in 100+ degree heat in stand still traffic. These things just run hot.

Toohomo, how can a guy like myself from the other side of the pond and a whole continent over, get a set of you guards?

They are on eBay buddy http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/301778756746 I ship worldwide but they are hidden/can't buy em till tomorrow or Saturday as I'm on holiday

apriliaforum newb
    Those certainly look cool, but expanded metal still has a fairly high blockage factor. Then, there is an additional flow restriction caused by "louvered redirection" of airflow passing through the now angled "vanes". If you calculate the amount of open area in a one square inch section, it would likely be around 60% pass through...which is MUCH better than the stamped Evo's, but still a moderate restriction. Even the extremely open, flow through nature of 4x4 mesh, welded .032" wire, still drops off air flow by 24%. As you know, the original "flow through" of the Evo's was only 47% (very poor flow).

These hot running Factory's need all the airflow they can get when running only moderately hard below 50mph. If cruising at or above 50mph on flat roads, they will run substantially cooler if the OAT isn't much past 75F. Once stopped, all bets are off even without any guards.

What these Factory's really need is the exact same size radiator with one core row added (I think the OEM rads currently have a two row core). One additional row would really help cooling, increase coolant capacity (a big plus), and should still be able to fit inside the original aluminum side tanks without substantially increasing air flow restrictions. One can only wish.

Anyone up to making a thicker core radiator for these beasts???

Quote Originally Posted by DGA View Post
    Last night in 48 degree weather, here in Portland, OR, the bike would get up to 214, before the fans kick on and move the temp down to 204, where they would shut off. This was exactly the same behavior as in 100+ degree heat in stand still traffic. These things just run hot.

Toohomo, how can a guy like myself from the other side of the pond and a whole continent over, get a set of you guards?
    DGA - I recently purchased these from his ebay store and was impressed with the quality, value and prompt delivery.

- Tim

2015 Piaggio Fly 150 - "It's small and white?"
    2016 Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory - holy crap
    2015 Aprilia Caponord Travel Pack - very red
    2003 Moto Guzzi California Titanium - DungeonMaster's old steed

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by rustie View Post
    Those certainly look cool, but expanded metal still has a fairly high blockage factor. Then, there is an additional flow restriction caused by "louvered redirection" of airflow passing through the now angled "vanes". If you calculate the amount of open area in a one square inch section, it would likely be around 60% pass through...which is MUCH better than the stamped Evo's, but still a moderate restriction. Even the extremely open, flow through nature of 4x4 mesh, welded .032" wire, still drops off air flow by 24%. As you know, the original "flow through" of the Evo's was only 47% (very poor flow).

These hot running Factory's need all the airflow they can get when running only moderately hard below 50mph. If cruising at or above 50mph on flat roads, they will run substantially cooler if the OAT isn't much past 75F. Once stopped, all bets are off even without any guards.

What these Factory's really need is the exact same size radiator with one core row added (I think the OEM rads currently have a two row core). One additional row would really help cooling, increase coolant capacity (a big plus), and should still be able to fit inside the original aluminum side tanks without substantially increasing air flow restrictions. One can only wish.

Anyone up to making a thicker core radiator for these beasts???
    I am just wondering what difference any of this air restriction makes if your cooling fans cut in and keep the temp down anyway ? At faster speeds the bike should have enough airflow ?

Quote Originally Posted by laker213 View Post
    DGA - I recently purchased these from his ebay store and was impressed with the quality, value and prompt delivery.
    glad you liked them Tim

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by laker213 View Post
    Thanks!

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMacgregor View Post
    Is there anyone out there using the EvoTech rad guard on a new 2016 factory Tuono? I fitted one to my bike and have noticed the water temperature at speeds below 40mph have increased massively. The ambient temperature was only 19C when I took the bike out last. No problems at high speed the engine was as cool as ever however as soon as my speed dropped in traffic around 30mph the water temp went up to 100C and whilst waiting a lights up to 106c. It seems to take longer to lose the heat also.
    I found a formula to work out the open area of the grill and it amazed me to find it is less than 50%. I have to assume the lack of ram air at 30mph means only 50% of the available cooling air is getting to the radiator. Just wondering if other brands of rad guard are as bad. I have an R&G mesh rad guard on my Fireblade and never noticed any problem in 3 years.

Any feedback would be useful - thanks
    Sorry, I didn't read all the replies but you say the temperature is rising to 106 with the rad guard when sitting at lights ? The rad guard would make absolutely no difference when sitting at lights because there is no air passing through the radiator at a stand still anyway ?? If the radiator guard is making a difference at low speeds, why would it matter ? Because the fans kick in and keep the temp down anyway ??

apriliaforum expert
    Well i got around to purchasing & fitting the Evotech radiator & oil cooler guards. I have to say it was very easy job everything, fitted perfectly and I didn't have any issue, but i did not have the interference with anything on top of the radiator on my 2015 V4R 1000 that others are talking about. Also, i compared temps with an RSV4 which has no Rad guard (same model) & mine ran constantly cooler than the RSV4 + after taking note of temperatures in traffic before fitting it, it has only pushed the temp up a couple of degrees. So all in all, very happy with a great product.
    Last edited by stoner1; 12-11-2015 at 08:25 PM.

Where all 3 bikes running the same exhaust?

Quote Originally Posted by rustie View Post
    For an already hot running bike, the (well made) EvoTech guards caused our 2016 Factory's run even hotter....at least here in LA, Calif. There are three of us that bought same 2016 Tuono Factory's. Last weekend, we rode through the Malibu mountainside (Stunt Road, etc), and two of our bikes (with EvoTech guards) ran much hotter than the one without the EvoTech....by at least 10 degrees or more. The two with the Evo guards were constantly running at 200F+ (and occasionally 210F+) up and down the winding roads. When we finally made it down to PCH (the much cooler beach area), and maintained 50 ~ 60mph, all three ran at an impressively cool 170 to 175F (thermostat is set at 167F). Slower riding, or stopping for ANY red lights, the two bikes with Evo guards ran up past 200F every time...even at the much cooler beach areas. The one Factory without the Evo guard always ran 10F+ cooler, regardless of conditions.

RedMacgregor and I have posted previously about how restrictive the Evo guards are (only 47% open area). So, for the last 3 days, I've worked out a solution for our two Evo guard equipped Factory's.

We maintained the Evo guard's original perimeter (and therefore the excellent Evo mounting design), and completely cut out the trapezoidal interior of both the rad and oil guards, by carefully using a Dremel "UltraSaw" (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dremel-7-...0-02/206360408). I did not leave an "X" in the middle as I had previous suggested (was totally unnecessary).

We then made a hard cardboard form of the replacement rad area, curved it to match the original Evo guard (oil cooler area is flat), and then cut out some S/S welded screen (mentioned in previous post), that has a 4x4 mesh, .032" wire diameter (instead of .028"), resulting in a .218" square opening, and an "open area" of 76%. Seemed to be a good compromise between stiffness to hold the radius, and open area.

We then trimmed and fitted the newly curved, trapezoidal shaped S/S screen to match the cutout area (we left a small "ledge" on the Evo guard for the screen to nest into), safety S/S wire tied the screen in several spots along the sides, then used small dabs of 3M Hysol epoxy (JB weld would also work) in a few remaining areas to act as additional reinforcements, and then painted the completed guards in Rustoleum satin black. Looks very cool....and now should run nearly the same temps as an unguarded bike. Pics to follow later.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123