Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EvoTech radiator guard

Cool, love the silver with red A

apriliaforum newb
    Is there anyone out there using the EvoTech rad guard on a new 2016 factory Tuono? I fitted one to my bike and have noticed the water temperature at speeds below 40mph have increased massively.
    Yes, I have...and ended up removing it for the very reasons you describe...easily overheating at anything below 40~45mph. While I really like Evo's styling cues (like their "Tail Tidy"...awesome!), and while this item looks just as cool, it certainly isn't (for the engine that is).

RedMacgregor is spot on. When you measure the side to side distance of four holes on the EvoTech screen, you get 1.090". Then, remove the "web width" of one side to be accurate for hole spacing (web width = .065"), you have almost exactly 1". Since the hole diameter is .195", and there are 16 of them in almost an exact square inch of area (4 holes x 4 holes). Then, "pie R sq'd" of .195" = .029865 x 16 holes = .4778 sq inches.

That's less than half the 1.0 sq" that the 16 holes occupy. So, you certainly have at least equal to, or actually more than 50% blockage (52% to be exact). No fricken wonder the engine runs hot at low speeds (mine certainly did). So it seems that punched hole screens might look cool, but they certainly do run HOT!!!

Don't know how much better expanded aluminum screens fair, but I doubt they'd be more than 60~65% open...to say nothing of their "angled blade effect" (the twisted nature of their opened edges).

Likely the best would be simple woven screen with a large diameter hole (at least .250~.312", and made of relatively thin wire (maybe .020" or so). I would think that should afford at least an 80~90% open area while still affording decent debris protection.

apriliaforum newb
    Soooo....outside of making your own screen protector, anybody know of a ready made unit using only wire screen for the late model Aprilia Tuono 1100 V4's (or RSV4's if they're the same)???

apriliaforum newb
    Found some S/S welded wire screen cloth (won't unravel) at "http://www.mcmaster.com":

Item #9322T66 ....

Mesh = 44
    Open Area = .222"
    Open %age = 78%
    Wire Dia = .028"

12" x 24" = $18.09
    24" x 24" = $34.27 (prob best size)

Would be near perfect. Especially since it's welded and will stay intact regardless of how it's cut up.

apriliaforum newb
    Hmmmm....on further thought, I'm gonna take my EvoTech guard, cut out the majority of the middle area, leaving it's strong perimeter intact, along with a reinforcing "X" in the middle, and then glue/screw/attach this very screen above into the middle of both my Evo rad guard and Evo oil guard. This will be the ultimate. Pics to follow!!!
    Last edited by rustie; 11-01-2015 at 04:24 PM.

apriliaforum expert
    I had the EvoTech's on my Streetfighter and really liked them. They were tough and the finish held up great. Buuuuuuut, after riding the Tuono for a couple weeks I didn't order them because of how hot it already ran. Actually the heat and the seat are the only 2 things I really do not like about the Tuono.

apriliaforum expert
    My tuono seems to be running around 80 deg where my 2004 Triumph Speed Triple constantly ran around 90 deg and got up to 104 or so when i was in traffic, i just figure that is what the fan is for ? It will run a lot hotter with a whole in it, lol. I considered buying a Streetfighter but couldn't get a test ride. How do you think it compared to the tuono ?
    Last edited by stoner1; 11-02-2015 at 12:53 AM.

apriliaforum expert surfmonster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rustie View Post
    Soooo....outside of making your own screen protector, anybody know of a ready made unit using only wire screen for the late model Aprilia Tuono 1100 V4's (or RSV4's if they're the same)???
    PM Dan (Toohomo) - he makes them and sells them. He usually has a bunch listed on eBay.

Cheers Surfmonster, I do as per some of the previous posts and have sold 100's with out issue, evotech, R&G and mine dont really make any difference to the running temps its a hot running bike mine is regulaly over 100 degrees when waiting to hit the track but stops at 103. Its not a bike that likes pootling along at 40mph.

i have looked at other meshes and still think the mesh i use is the best compromise between protecting the radiator and air flow whilst also being cheap and super easy to fit.

i would not bother cutting up your rad guard i dont think it would make any difference.

im on holiday till Friday so not taking any orders till then and my ebay shop is on holiday too

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by stoner1 View Post
    How do you think it compared to the tuono ?
    Well tge SF ran much cooler. I could sit at a light or in traffic and it took a long time for the temp to rise and the fans to come on.... Honestly it is a hard to pick a favorite. The SF suits my style of riding better and the Ohlins were really nice. I like the technology on the Tuono better, the maintenance is a bit more spread out, and the engine is something that can not be explained.

Overall I like the SF just a tiny bit more and will buy another someday, but I won't be getting rid of the T to do it. If that makes sense.

apriliaforum expert
    I would have liked a test ride on the streetfighter but I've got to say, the tuono is fantastic fun and the service costs are much less than the Duc.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by stoner1 View Post
    I would have liked a test ride on the streetfighter but I've got to say, the tuono is fantastic fun and the service costs are much less than the Duc.
    If you get a chance definitely ride one. They are very different but also a lot alike in overall riding experience. I believe the first service on my SF was slightly cheaper than the T.

apriliaforum expert
    My 1st service on the Tuono is $250 at 1000km's, then the 10,000 is $350ish and the major at 20,000 is $799. My dealer has fixed prices. In comparison the SF from memory had to be serviced every 6000 km's and some of the services were $1500, i couldn't really justify that on my wage. If you bought it & rode it a lot you would spend that much on servicing in a few years that you could have bought another bike with the money, lol.

apriliaforum newb
    For an already hot running bike, the (well made) EvoTech guards caused our 2016 Factory's run even hotter....at least here in LA, Calif. There are three of us that bought same 2016 Tuono Factory's. Last weekend, we rode through the Malibu mountainside (Stunt Road, etc), and two of our bikes (with EvoTech guards) ran much hotter than the one without the EvoTech....by at least 10 degrees or more. The two with the Evo guards were constantly running at 200F+ (and occasionally 210F+) up and down the winding roads. When we finally made it down to PCH (the much cooler beach area), and maintained 50 ~ 60mph, all three ran at an impressively cool 170 to 175F (thermostat is set at 167F). Slower riding, or stopping for ANY red lights, the two bikes with Evo guards ran up past 200F every time...even at the much cooler beach areas. The one Factory without the Evo guard always ran 10F+ cooler, regardless of conditions.

RedMacgregor and I have posted previously about how restrictive the Evo guards are (only 47% open area). So, for the last 3 days, I've worked out a solution for our two Evo guard equipped Factory's.

We maintained the Evo guard's original perimeter (and therefore the excellent Evo mounting design), and completely cut out the trapezoidal interior of both the rad and oil guards, by carefully using a Dremel "UltraSaw" (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dremel-7-...0-02/206360408). I did not leave an "X" in the middle as I had previous suggested (was totally unnecessary).

We then made a hard cardboard form of the replacement rad area, curved it to match the original Evo guard (oil cooler area is flat), and then cut out some S/S welded screen (mentioned in previous post), that has a 4x4 mesh, .032" wire diameter (instead of .028"), resulting in a .218" square opening, and an "open area" of 76%. Seemed to be a good compromise between stiffness to hold the radius, and open area.

We then trimmed and fitted the newly curved, trapezoidal shaped S/S screen to match the cutout area (we left a small "ledge" on the Evo guard for the screen to nest into), safety S/S wire tied the screen in several spots along the sides, then used small dabs of 3M Hysol epoxy (JB weld would also work) in a few remaining areas to act as additional reinforcements, and then painted the completed guards in Rustoleum satin black. Looks very cool....and now should run nearly the same temps as an unguarded bike. Pics to follow later.....

apriliaforum newb
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aprilia Tuono Factory Evo Guards sml.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	275.3 KB 
ID:	293257
    Last edited by rustie; 11-10-2015 at 08:38 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast