Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EvoTech radiator guard

apriliaforum prov-nov

EvoTech radiator guard

Is there anyone out there using the EvoTech rad guard on a new 2016 factory Tuono? I fitted one to my bike and have noticed the water temperature at speeds below 40mph have increased massively. The ambient temperature was only 19C when I took the bike out last. No problems at high speed the engine was as cool as ever however as soon as my speed dropped in traffic around 30mph the water temp went up to 100C and whilst waiting a lights up to 106c. It seems to take longer to lose the heat also.
    I found a formula to work out the open area of the grill and it amazed me to find it is less than 50%. I have to assume the lack of ram air at 30mph means only 50% of the available cooling air is getting to the radiator. Just wondering if other brands of rad guard are as bad. I have an R&G mesh rad guard on my Fireblade and never noticed any problem in 3 years.

Any feedback would be useful - thanks

apriliaforum prov-nov thunder101's Avatar
    I used theses worked well easy install and look sweet!

http://m.ebay.com/itm/RSV4-Tuono-V4-Racing-Radiator-Guards-Aprilia-2008-2014-Kuhlergitter-schwarz-/301671546824?nav=SEARCH

At idle it will be the same radiator gaurds or not. No airflow is no airflow until the fans turn on
    2004 tuono, 2016 tuono factory

apriliaforum Junkie Great Scott's Avatar
    One of the guys at AF1 mentioned he doesn't use guards as any guard restricts airflow. Being in Texas, we need all the help we can get to keep the bike cooler.

My bike was hitting 220F at stoplights in 98F heat; that's normal for this bike I've been told.
    2016 Aprilia 1100 Tuono Factory

"It is as impossible to withhold education from the receptive mind, as it is impossible to force it upon the unreasoning."

apriliaforum prov-nov
    That's a bit worrying I was hitting 106C and the temperature in the UK at the time was only 19C. I think I better check the fans are working before going any further. Thank for the info. How are you liking the bike??

Quote Originally Posted by thunder101 View Post
    I used theses worked well easy install and look sweet!

http://m.ebay.com/itm/RSV4-Tuono-V4-Racing-Radiator-Guards-Aprilia-2008-2014-Kuhlergitter-schwarz-/301671546824?nav=SEARCH

At idle it will be the same radiator gaurds or not. No airflow is no airflow until the fans turn on
    they are the ones I make, I have run these on my track bike since I got it, the v4 motor rubs hot, at idle you will get the temp over 100 degrees but it soon cools once moving again, can't remember the exact temp but the fans come on at around 102 degrees I think.

I absolutely love it, I sure thought i would miss the 1st gen, not the case this bike is far more refined, its a beautiful machine.
    Also these bikes run hot 105c-115c according to owners guide. I have noticed with our climate rarely above 100 F here, it runs around 180f (the old v-twin t ran around 168-170f) but does climb a lot quicker than the old 1st gen T did!

apriliaforum Junkie Great Scott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMacgregor View Post
    That's a bit worrying I was hitting 106C and the temperature in the UK at the time was only 19C. I think I better check the fans are working before going any further. Thank for the info. How are you liking the bike??
    The bike is awesome. Haven't had much time on it though. Owned her a week, but random rain showers and me being ill for 4 days has kept me from riding.
    2016 Aprilia 1100 Tuono Factory

"It is as impossible to withhold education from the receptive mind, as it is impossible to force it upon the unreasoning."

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by Toohomo View Post
    they are the ones I make, I have run these on my track bike since I got it, the v4 motor rubs hot, at idle you will get the temp over 100 degrees but it soon cools once moving again, can't remember the exact temp but the fans come on at around 102 degrees I think.
    Your guards look a damn site easier to fit than the one I'm using. Just as a matter of interest do you know what the open area of the mesh is that you use? The Evotech open area from the measurements I took is less than 50%. I'm sure that is not going to help at low speeds on the road. I've just checked my fans they come on about 101C then push the temp down to 96C and switch off.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by thunder101 View Post
    I absolutely love it, I sure thought i would miss the 1st gen, not the case this bike is far more refined, its a beautiful machine.
    Also these bikes run hot 105c-115c according to owners guide. I have noticed with our climate rarely above 100 F here, it runs around 180f (the old v-twin t ran around 168-170f) but does climb a lot quicker than the old 1st gen T did!
    It's the first Tuono I've owned so cannot compare the bike to the 1st gen - its so much more comfortable than pushing down on my wrists on the Blade. They both feel as fast as each other except the Blade will lose your licence quicker. It's such a good looking bike though I have to keep going and fiddling with it. Just need to sort out the suspension a little it still feels a little harsh for my weight.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by Great Scott View Post
    The bike is awesome. Haven't had much time on it though. Owned her a week, but random rain showers and me being ill for 4 days has kept me from riding.
    I've had my bike for just over a month and completed the run in period over the weekend. I can't get use to the idea of using the revs again after a few weeks of short shifting. Hope you can get out on it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by RedMacgregor View Post
    Your guards look a damn site easier to fit than the one I'm using. Just as a matter of interest do you know what the open area of the mesh is that you use? The Evotech open area from the measurements I took is less than 50%. I'm sure that is not going to help at low speeds on the road. I've just checked my fans they come on about 101C then push the temp down to 96C and switch off.

They are super easy, the water rad clips in place in ten seconds does not need lockwiring, oil rad takes 5 minutes.

holes/apature are 6mm by 3mm I chose this style as protects the rad better but can say I have worked out the surface area no, it's pressed aluminium the holes are flayed open so it kind of directs air into the rad.

sell a shit load of BMW S1000rr ones!

They are super easy, the water rad clips in place in ten seconds does not need lockwiring, oil rad takes 5 minutes.

holes/apature are 6mm by 3mm I chose this style as protects the rad better but can say I have worked out the surface area no, it's pressed aluminium the holes are flayed open so it kind of directs air into the rad.

sell a shit load of BMW S1000rr ones!

Nice job Toohomo simple effective easy cheap and look awesome

Sweet ! I will buy those guards toohomo, they look great.

Quote Originally Posted by Primo View Post
    Sweet ! I will buy those guards toohomo, they look great.
    No worries bud

glad you all like them, lost track of all the places around the world I have sent them, really taken off to be fair and its paying for my racing, may even be able to do a whole season next year off the back of these.

apriliaforum Member GARYTHEGOAT's Avatar
    No worries bud

glad you all like them, lost track of all the places around the world I have sent them, really taken off to be fair and its paying for my racing, may even be able to do a whole season next year off the back of these.
    i bought the set you're sending to Brisbane , Australia. Represent bro!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast