Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Racing a Tuono 1100 Factory

apriliaforum prov-nov

Racing a Tuono 1100 Factory

Hi there, I'm about to get a 2016 Tuono 1100 Factory and considering racing it in the AFM in California. Does anyone have any experience racing Tuonos? Would appreciate learning from some folks with insights on the bike/setup/need-to-knows. I'm also new to Aprilias/Tuonos in general. Thanks!

apriliaforum Junkie alleycatdad's Avatar
    Real Northern CA. Not the freaking bay...
    Toohomo to the white courtesy phone....

yes any specific questions? and as an 1100 what class do you plan on running? first things I'd do is a radial master cylinder, but I stayed with the stock calipers, to me they work great and I'm known on the track to be wickedly good on the brakes, also 1100 frame/ swing arm set up/angles and measurements slightly different than 1000's so your going to need to feel out our advise set up wise. 2nd recommendation a real steering dampener, and how many lines showing on your forks? 3rd race map and can with cat delete a.s.a.p. not available yet, and 15 tooth front sprocket, A must for racing, I like a 520 chain set up, better throttle response/feel) and depending on track any ware from 42-45 rear sprocket, also what weight are you for shock fork advise. Also how much track/race experience do you have? Are you in the fast group on track days? be honest with telling us your riding level and we can help more, you also need tire warmers and a generator or you'll tear up race tires, and what percentage of time will be spent on track, this bikes so hooligan I'm going 90% track with mine now

Quote Originally Posted by alleycatdad View Post
    What I'm swiss cheese? lol

Sorry, man, from the phone (and memory) that was the best I could do.

SA

apriliaforum Junkie
    all i can say is hope you have a 2nd tuono on hand, curious why not just a rsv4 - its riding position lets you get dive into the corners and drive outta them, the handlebars kinda held me back on the track

arthritis, and come out to a trackxperiance or mwgp event and see how much the handle bars are holding me back, you just got to motard your style a little, I can carve right inside most guys in the tight corners, It's not as big a handicap as you'd think

Sorry, man, from the phone (and memory) that was the best I could do.

SA
    only ribbing you toohomo is a great reference to give him

apriliaforum prov-nov
    thank you DrVacation. I currently race a 2013 ZX6R in the AFM; I'm in the fast group at track days. I spend every other weekend at the race track during the season (April-November). I'm not AMA fast, but I'm not ultra slow? Truth be told, I'm keen on having a street bike that does excellently well at the track hence the Tuono and not the RSV4 (I have my ZX6R for a "proper" sport bike and just sold my Ducati Hypermotard SP). The reason I'm in the racing section of the forum is because...well I'm hoping to get solid advice from folks that are legitimately quick on a Tuono for setup advice.

Regarding weight, I'm 155lb with gear (I'm a light Asian guy). Also, what brake pads do you recommend for the MC? How are the stock brake lines?

Sorry being engaged with the RSV4 and Tuono V4 sections

Quote Originally Posted by FXCLM5 View Post
    all i can say is hope you have a 2nd tuono on hand, curious why not just a rsv4 - its riding position lets you get dive into the corners and drive outta them, the handlebars kinda held me back on the track
    Meh, trust me the tuono can hustle round the corners, you have a big advantage on the brakes and you are less knackered with mandlebars, its not the corners I get beaten up on, its the straights, its not moto gp, we ride tuonos on track because the sportsbike guys dont expect to be overtaken by a bike with mandlebars, and its waaaaaaay more fun.

Having said that the 1100 could be a weapon and bring back the disadvantage on the straights a little, choose your tracks wisely.

Drvacation has some good points, definately replace the rear shock, upgrade the forks, sticky tyres, RACE ECU and exhaust when available, stick some crash bungs on. RSV4 racing tail section fits (should fit 2015 too) hopefully the Cruciata race fairing will fit too but expect to get stung for postage http://www.cruciata.com/racing-stree...a-fairings.asp Carbon aramid do some race fairings too and about the same price, also fit the gilles tooling shaft support and grab some rearsets or you will deck them out. The bikesplast is the only RSV4 bellypan I can see that would work for an oil pan with out using the Tuono Cruciata one (and its loads cheaper).

Any specific questions just ask.........

Here you go a little taste of what to expect, I am still learning, my 3rd race weekend on a track I had only done the test day on.

I like the stock pads and calipers, only upgrade was radial m/c, and when I went for my racing license third session was on braking and the instructor said scared him with how late/hard I was breaking (advantage handlebars) and I'm told people see more air under my rear tire than anyone on the track. at our level this bike is very competitive especially short straight tight tracks, ifyou can come on and join us (trackxperiance) in so.cal or las vegas, let me know I can get you in for a good discount, also motowest grand pre racing

also ditto on the shift support, vital protection if it goes down and improves shifting and feel, will also help protect/lengthen tranny life as there a little vulnerable to bent shifting forks, shift at high rpm's with a firm booting, the more throttle the better the quickshifter works, also get your balls against the tank on corner entrys on the tight stuff think motard

More info on the shaft support?

shift shaft sticks out of engine case a little long so shift support will help protect/support if it hits/drags in a crash and the support helps shifting by minimizing flex see our sponsors parts site

I understand, but can't find it for purchsase....

Thanks!

SA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast