Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handlebar options - Pro taper Carmichael bend

apriliaforum expert

Handlebar options - Pro taper Carmichael bend

I found the standard bars were a little bit too upright for me (6'2, 99 kg) and I couldn't get enough weight over the front to corner with complete confidence, so a bar change was in order.

The Pro Taper site has a great list of all their bars, widths, bends, etc. a bit of forum research led me to the Carmichael bend, in gold to match the standard look I'm currently after.

I got them at a good price and set about fitting them. They went on pretty easily and I even got the instrument block fitment holes in the right place after some careful measuring of the standard bar! The knurling on the left hand side of the bar is a PITA and I filed off most of it so I could slide the clutch perch and fast idle rotator on properly. I had to take a fair bit of it off and it doesn't look too flash, but the grip covers it so all good!

The right side is easy as.

I tightened them down and with them in my preferred position they miss the fairing by about a millimetre on either side - sweet! The ride position pulls me forward by about two inches and I feel a lot closer to the front of the bike. They look great, though the standard bars werent too shabby either.

Pretty chuffed!

Some pics would be nice
    All good stuff come in pair - tits and V2

Agreed! Pictures please

apriliaforum expert
    As requested. It's hard to get a shot that shows the whole bar at the right angle. They're perfect for me though, and somehow by being pulled forward I feel a lot more 'in' the bike.

Love them! They look great bro!!

apriliaforum expert
    Thanks! I could take another cm off if I had to but I like the current width. The only other tip I've got is open up the clutch and brake perches as much as possible when sliding them on, as the rough finish of the bar gets covered in silver alloy when you slide them on.

Nice.
    Hey that clutch fluid looks pretty knarley.
    2003 Tuono: Leo Vince slip-on, Factory Pro Chip, custom mapped Power Commander III, HiFlo AFE air filter, '00 snorkle, Forged Alum-Marchesini Wheels, Ohlins Shock, GP Suspension internal Showas, EVO Fuel Pres Modifyer, 525-16/43 final drive (after I wore out the 520), TCM low rear sets, Scorpion Lithium Battery, Pirelli Angel GT's.

apriliaforum expert
    It always goes black apparently...

apriliaforum newb
    I REALLY like the position and look of those bars. Whats the rise and pull back on those?

Quote Originally Posted by Mautuono View Post
    I REALLY like the position and look of those bars. Whats the rise and pull back on those?
    Here you go.

http://www.protaper.com/products/handlebars/evo

The other bar that seems popular for the tuono is the Rizoma MA005, its also not as wide as the protaper.

http://www.rizoma.com/universal/hand...008-010-011/en
    ROAD RACING IRELAND...DO IT BETWEEN THE HEDGES

apriliaforum prov-nov Roadracer_Al's Avatar
    Yep, that's my favorite bar -- I have it on my dual-sport & dirt bikes. There's a brand new one sitting in my garage waiting to go on. Good to know it fits w/o major surgery.

apriliaforum expert WileECoyote's Avatar
    Nice looking machine.
    ACME Race Team: Lead Mechanic/Chief Rider
    No wins, cant seem to get around them anvils, piano's fly at me from nowhere, tunnels that aren't actually open and falls from great heights seem to slow me down.
    Current: 2003 Ape Tuono "Francesca" 2012 Ape Tuono "Valentina"
    2006 FZ1 "Mr. Masimoto" 2009 FZ1 "Ms. Ono" 1990 FZR1000 "PITA"
    Previous: Too many to amember.........

apriliaforum expert
    Renthal KTM 686 bend here.Name:  IMG_0734.JPG
Views: 602
Size:  103.3 KB

I bought a set of Pro Taper Carmichael bars, mounted them, removed the stock locator pins, took the Pro Taper logos off with acetone, tapped the ends and installed G2 nylon bar end mounts, and....the levers hit my fairing at full lock with no way to avoid the contact. It looks like the levers would even hit the fairing support if the fairing were pulled off.

My bike has aftermarket carbon bodywork installed by a previous owner, so I wonder if the fairing dimensions are a little different making the contact worse? It also has China knock-off levers that might be chunkier than stock. Anyways, wanted to post this here so anyone digging around for bar info thinks carefully about going with a lower sweep bar!

apriliaforum prov-nov
    this is what i have with the original bars, mine bike is a RSV mille and converted to Tuono with original parts.
    but if i putt the levers in the ride ergonomics position it hits the top fairing, only wen i turn the bars forward then there is no issue, but then the end off the bars are aming for the sky, and that is not for me a comfort ride.
    i wanted to go for the Rizoma bars but i dont make sure if they are going to fit.
    Street:
    Aprilia Touno 2003
    Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC 2011

Track:
    Ten Kate honda CBR1000RR Fireblade 2011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast