Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ABS problem

apriliaforum prov-nov

ABS problem

A few months ago me and two friend had some mountain riding time. During the 1st of our 2 day trip we decided to do some off-roading and the paths we took were a bit hard for our beasts(they rode a BMW R1150 and R1200 GS Adventure) so had a few falls. I had two falls both with zero speed an stuck in the mud(clay). I had the ABS turned off during the time we went off-road and we we hit the gravel again i turned it on again. After a few kms the ABS light went on and deactivated the ABS. I had the bike checked and the fault was "ABS INNER VALVE FAULT". Manual says i should replace the unit but it is very expensive as you all know. I cannot understand what happened to the unit because the bike fell very smooth and in the mud so it is impossible to broke something in it. The funny thing is that if i drive for a few kms(20 for example) and turn the bike off and start it again the ABS works again!!!
    I am thinking of replacing the unit with a BMW 650 unit but i want to be certain that it will work so i am asking the guys that fitted one to their MK1 bikes if they had any problems??
    If anyone has an idea how to fix the problem please share your thoughts!

I have fitted an ABS unit of F650GS to my 2003 capo and it works good. Connectors which go into the units are the same for both bikes so it's almost "plug-and-play" but there is a minor pin-to-pin problem that can be solved easily if you know which pin goes where. Try to find a unit from 99-05 F650GS or CS and but not Dakar model if possible. Adapting capo ABS harness to Dakar unit is a bit more puzzling but still can be done.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-BMW-F...item4ae3079028
    "I'm not sure whether I'm an actor who races or a racer who acts." Steve McQueen

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by shi_bumi View Post
    I have fitted an ABS unit of F650GS to my 2003 capo and it works good. Connectors which go into the units are the same for both bikes so it's almost "plug-and-play" but there is a minor pin-to-pin problem that can be solved easily if you know which pin goes where. Try to find a unit from 99-05 F650GS or CS and but not Dakar model if possible. Adapting capo ABS harness to Dakar unit is a bit more puzzling but still can be done.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-BMW-F...item4ae3079028
    Could you be more specific if possible please? I thought that the connectors were plug n play. I will have to cut or modify the harness???

apriliaforum expert
    Have the system pressure flushed. The issue may well go away
    Me n' Mine:-

2006 Caponord ETV 1000 "Twiki"
    2004 Tuono Racing Rep, Full Carbon with SBK 2-2 Akro's
    2002 ZX636 A1P Ninja list of mods is endless
    "Made in Italy....Perfected in my Garage"
    I've never questioned why I ride, it's as basic as breathing.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    You mean completely remove the brake fluids and replace it with new ones?

apriliaforum expert
    Yes but try making or getting hold of a pressure bleeder as teasing fluid through the abs unit is a pita
    Me n' Mine:-

2006 Caponord ETV 1000 "Twiki"
    2004 Tuono Racing Rep, Full Carbon with SBK 2-2 Akro's
    2002 ZX636 A1P Ninja list of mods is endless
    "Made in Italy....Perfected in my Garage"
    I've never questioned why I ride, it's as basic as breathing.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic View Post
    I thought that the connectors were plug n play. I will have to cut or modify the harness???
    No, as I have stated, they are almost plug n play. Below is pin layout of both connectors:

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  81.6 KB

So you should cut the wires which go to pins 12 and 23. Then you would join harness side of pin 23 to connector side of pin 12. (or of course you can pull out the terminal pins of 12 and 23 to do the same job which I couldnt) Now you have rear brake switch data on pin 12 which is good for F650 ABS unit.
    Last edited by shi_bumi; 03-28-2015 at 02:09 AM.
    "I'm not sure whether I'm an actor who races or a racer who acts." Steve McQueen

apriliaforum expert
    Shi_bumi - Is that all it takes to make switchable abs on an mk1? Fits in normal location and with mk2 brake lines? Did you make a bypass switch as well for going in the gravel?

That would make an mk1 a lot more attractive to me as a used bike
    part weight comparisons - click here:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...bA&output=html

2000 Yamaha YZ125
    2002 aprilia Caponord
    2007 aprilia RSVR
    2008 KTM 690 SMC / Enduro R

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Shi_bumi - Is that all it takes to make switchable abs on an mk1? Fits in normal location and with mk2 brake lines? Did you make a bypass switch as well for going in the gravel?

That would make an mk1 a lot more attractive to me as a used bike
    Well, It's not that simple. You will need-least but not limited to: ABS ECU unit, ABS sensors, wheel speed sensor discs, ABS unit case, ABS button and new brake lines. Wheel hubs need to be drilled to fit sensor discs. Rear brake caliper bracket and right fork need to be machined to install sensors. You should find an ABS harness (from a wrecked MK2 capo or brand new but both would be stupid expensive) or build your own. Here is my thread explaining briefly how i dit it.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  143.5 KB
    Last edited by shi_bumi; 03-29-2015 at 11:38 AM.

Not all mk1 wheels hubs will do they need to be late mk1 whitch has the lugs for the abs ring That may or may not be drilled and taped I've got a mk2 without abs that has the lugs not drilled it has the fork leg and rear mount but non drilled

Quote Originally Posted by haga lout View Post
    Not all mk1 wheels hubs will do they need to be late mk1 whitch has the lugs for the abs ring That may or may not be drilled and taped I've got a mk2 without abs that has the lugs not drilled it has the fork leg and rear mount but non drilled
    Yep ur right, I had all those provisions on my bike. If not, I wouldn't dare.

apriliaforum newb

Cool

Hello,At the moment mine mk2 abs is not working annymore and a have no fault indicate light on the dash.
    The fuses are good allso the current . I have no idea what to do and there is no information on the forum.
    my qwestion : is it possible to mount a bmw abs regulator as wrote above or what can i do by myself on the problem?
    Tips also welcome.
    The disc is ok and the problem seems started after mounting new fronttire .
    Thnx kind regards Henzel.

Considering problem started after mounting new tire, I would first check the gap between ABS sensor and phonic wheel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	286465

When you turn ignition on, does ABS light come on and go out after a few seconds ?

Reversed wheel?
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Quote Originally Posted by Precis View Post
    Reversed wheel?

Good one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast