Thread: Malossi Lambda Emulator TC o2

apriliaforum Member Mike Holland's Avatar

Malossi Lambda Emulator TC o2

I have been using one of these black boxes for quite a few years, and like the results. It connects between the Lambda probe and the ECU, and alters the probe signal to persuade the ECU to set the mixture a little richer.

Recently I have seen pictures of a different version, which has an extra connection, presumably to the diagnostic input plug. Is this for different model scooters, or is it a later, more refined version of my one? And if so, what difference does it make?

Mike

apriliaforum expert
    can you put up a picture or the model number you are refering to?

Ok, I did a little more research. My one is M5514749, with just a connection to the Lambda probe. The one with the extra connection is M5514746, for the 125 and 300. I would love to know why they are different, and what the 300 one does that mine does not do. But not all the pictures on the web show the version with the extra plug. Check out the PM Tuning picture.
    http://www.pmtuning.co.uk/m5514746

Mike

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    The 250cc for sure uses a heated element 4 wire Bosch lambda sensor, the 300 uses a non heated element 2 wire Bosh sensor, that may be the biggest difference?
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Micah, I have now replaced my GTS250 with a 2015 GTS300,and have swapped over several of the mods I had done to the 250. I was wondering whether it is feasible to adapt the Malossi Lambda Probe from the 250 to work on the 300.

Obviously I would have to remove the wires for the heating element and replace the connectors with two-pin connectors. I have a pair of those in stock. The 300 workshop manual tells me that the leads are sky blue/black for the positive and white-green for the negative, but I can't find the corresponding info for the 250.

The 250 probe is a high temperature one, so is it going to be too difference from the 300 one for the same emulator to work?

Cheers, Mike

Edit: I guess I need to find the manufacturers and model numbers for the probes, and compare the specs. Bosch?
    Last edited by Mike Holland; 04-13-2016 at 08:42 PM.

OK, no advice here. So I guess I will try fitting it, and if it does nothing I will try again with the two wires reversed. If still nothing, then I will throw the box away.

Sorry, I just saw this and really do not have a great answer. You basically just want to add a variable resistor on the return-signal wire to ecu...lower lambda voltage on signal leg, ecu "corrects" resulting in richer mixture, not much, but enough to help.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Thanks, Micah. The Malossi unit is a bit more complicated than that. I get different resistance readings when I swap the meter leads over, so there is something "active" in there, like diodes and transistors.

The lambda probe is an "all or nothing" box - it signals yes or no oxygen there. So I don't understand how attenuating the signal with a variable resistor would work. But it obviously does, as I have read many success stories with Fat Ducks on GTSs. Guess I will have to try it.

Mike

So I eventually bought a Malossi Lambda Emulator for the 300. It has a lead going to the injector, which the 250 version did not have. Don't know what it does there, altering the injection pulsed width or something.

The normal lambda emulator only works up to about 6000 rpm, as the ECU ignores it at higher revs. So perhaps this injector connector lets it do something above 6000 rpm!

Anyway, my very modified engine was still running a bit hot, so I removed the emulator and installed a Malossi Force Master 2. Still fiddling with it to get the best settings. My scooter is a powerful beast at the moment, doing wheelies whenever I take off full throttle. But this behaviour is only since I fitted a GT200 belt to prevent crankcase rubbing. Try it. You might be surprised, as I was!

Mike

Glad it is working for your bike. When you say it has a lead going to the injector I assume you mean a piggyback style lead where it plugs into injector and into harness? Maybe they are doing something to address the non closed loop portion of the mapping with this newer box?

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Yes, it plugs into the injector and the harness, so it is just modifying what the ECU does. I expect it extends the injector pulse duration for richer fuelling at higher revs.

Wish Malossi would publish a little more information. They just put black boxes onto the market and expect them to sell. At least with the V4 kit they did publish some dyno graphs.

Mike

Indeed Malossi is VERY weak on documentation, not sure if it just a cultural thing or if they really think they have totally novel products?

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin