Thread: RSV4 Factory Ohlins forks vs Ohlins 30mm NIX internals

apriliaforum Junkie manjunathbs's Avatar

RSV4 Factory Ohlins forks vs Ohlins 30mm NIX internals

I'm searching around for a good technical difference between the RSV4 Factory Ohlins forks vs Ohlins 30mm NIX internals. Can someone help me with this?

Also on the same lines between the Factory Ohlins shocks vs the Ohlins TTX GP Shocks upgrade. Technical details will be much appreciated.

Couldn't find this answer on the forum searching earlier, hence this post.
    No fear, no guilt, no shame, this is all that takes to be a man!!
    - Rudra Tandava

Currently owned bike:
    2013 Aprilia RSV4 R APRC ABS

Previously owned bikes:
    2012 Suzuki GSXR1000
    2012 Yamaha FZ1-N
    2012 KTM Duke 200
    Royal Enfield Bullet Electra (350)

I'm curious of the same, as I'm going to be doing suspension here soon. I've seen mentioned a few times that the 30mm cartridges have better internals than the OEM Factory forks, but no technical reasons why.

Max Lean Angle / Administrator Ed / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    The big change is the 30mm kits separate compression to one leg and the rebound to the other leg. Makes each leg do just one function so there is less C/R crossover. Kind of makes them a twin tube like design

The TTX is twin tube shock, meaning it has a solid moving piston with oil on both sides of it moving the oil through two independent C and R circuits. Again the idea is to keep C and R adjustments independent of each other.

For most people, the stock Ohlins front and back is plenty good. We've raced on it with good results. Really, really fast guys and guys with suspension techs they work with at the track will go for the top-shelf parts.

apriliaforum Junkie manjunathbs's Avatar
    From what I read earlier, getting the Factory Ohlins forks needs lower Triple clamps and other stuff. Going the Ohlins internals is much easier, is what I've heard. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not really sure, if you meant the Ohlins internals to be the top-shelf parts or you meant the Ohlins Race Forks which sells for 13K $$
    No fear, no guilt, no shame, this is all that takes to be a man!!
    - Rudra Tandava

Currently owned bike:
    2013 Aprilia RSV4 R APRC ABS

Previously owned bikes:
    2012 Suzuki GSXR1000
    2012 Yamaha FZ1-N
    2012 KTM Duke 200
    Royal Enfield Bullet Electra (350)

apriliaforum expert Apriliabåårg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by manjunathbs View Post
    From what I read earlier, getting the Factory Ohlins forks needs lower Triple clamps and other stuff. Going the Ohlins internals is much easier, is what I've heard. Do correct me if I'm wrong.
    I have upgraded my R with the Öhlins Factory forks. Only thing you need is the lower triple from a Factory. For me it was surprisingly easy to swap em
    YouTube channel: Motomade78
    Small edit with flyby and more: http://youtu.be/7LY3ym8uQuU

Aprilia RSV4 R '10 a-PRC retrofitted and Ohlins Factory suspension
    Aprilia Racing Akrapovič EVO | Race ECU | '13 race map | a-PRC Retrofitted | Ohlins forks | Ohlins steering damper | Ohlins shock | Flyhammer top yoke | Puig smoked windscreen | ASV C5 black shorty levers | Samco stainless steel hose clamp kit | Integrated clear taillight | Rear sprocket Superlite SR7 42(+2) | Giles shift shaft support | NGK Iridium spark plugs | Titanium bolts |

Honda CBR 1100 XX Super Blackbird (2UP Bike)
    Akrapovič Titanium SP-Series | PCIII USB | Custom MAP | MRA smoked windscreen |

Previous bikes:
    Kawasaki ZX-10R '07
    Kawasaki ZX-9R '98
    Kawasaki ZX-6R '97

apriliaforum newb
    ok so i have recently done my suspension and the advice i got universally from various suspension tuners is that you will get far better results with the OEM ohlins 25mm carts and shock revalved and resprung than you will with the ttx and 30mm carts.

I have had 30mm carts in my s1000rr race bike and 25mm in my r1 and now the rsv4 and i much prefer the 25mm carts. the ttx can also, unless heavily modified, be a nightmare to use. Now i wont even attempt to explain it in technical terms and if you really want to understand why, i would suggest talking to your local suspension tuners. many guys i raced with on various bikes ended up having to do a lot of mods to get it to feel right. when i got mine on the S1000rr it was already modified so it worked for me however a friend of mine with the same bike couldnt get the standard ttx to work..

in the end i spoke to 4 guys in the know and got the same advice, work with the OEM ohlins gear.

the biggest issue with the OEM ohlins is the lack of a rebound separation valve (as i have been told) that actually prohibits you from tuning rebound and compression separately. its like a $50 part that can be easily installed.

so given the results i got so far, i would work with the gear you have.. you will get a potentially better result for a much lower cost.

You'll find the factory Ohlins also differ from the NIX inserts in the materials used for some of the internal bits with the latter being of higher quality. I got the NIX carts from Dan Kyle racing and watched him do the work, he showed me a few of those details. A rider will not be able to tell the difference between factory Ohlins vs the NIX or shock replacements unless you run in the front of the fastest racers at your track. You will be able to tell the difference however between the stock brakes and the brembo racing rotors with Z04 pads IF you have the balls to crunch on them really hard at the end of the straights.
    potere - italian for power
    have M1 permit, will travel