Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Wiring Mod for charging issues.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Performed the mod yesterday. Ran one 12AWG from the two red/blks in the connector to the red/blk at the 30A fuse block by the battery, and one 12AWG from the two blue in the connector directly to the battery negative.

VOLTAGE BEFORE THE MOD:
    13.72 @ idle (1200 rpm)
    13.06 @ 4000 rpm

VOLTAGE AFTER THE MOD:
    14.53 @ idle (1200 rpm)
    13.94 @ 4000 rpm.

BTW, my brown connector from stator to regulator had melted earlier, so I took the metal connections out of the brown plastic, plugged them together, and insulated with double shrink tubing.

Badger,

What did the mod do for the heat on your yellow wires?

apriliaforum Junkie
    Originally posted by cavender
    Badger,

What did the mod do for the heat on your yellow wires?
    Don't know yet. I haven't had much time to play with it since Monday when I did the mod. I'm hoping that it helps considerably, but then again, how would you tell except for touching them? Not particularily scientific...

Originally posted by Badger
    . . . how would you tell except for touching them? Not particularily scientific...
    Certainly not accurate, but that's what I had to do. I let her idle up to temp (172F) and a bit beyond in my garage and felt the wires before and after the mod. After was noticably cooler. I was able to get temp readings on the brown connector with an infared thermometer and it showed a dramatic drop (40F). The yellow wires are just too small to get a good reading on with my meter.

I ended up removing my white connector and used weatherproof crimps to add in wires the same as you did and my voltage is way up. Had not had any trouble yet, but assumed it was bound to happen.

HELP.....

Well I did the wiring mod on my 03. The issues noted here had not arose yet, but I thought the mod was simple enough and desided to do it. Now the problem I have.... The lights are flickering, the tach at idle is showing 4000, and if I try to increase RPM's it wants to die out, and last the clock has gone to 00:00... WHAT THE F*#K IS GOING ON..........PLEASE HELP.... I can't claim warranty.....????
    Last edited by ride200mi; 10-05-2004 at 11:12 PM.

apriliaforum expert
    Sounds like a bad connection to the battery to me. Recheck all your connections and you should be fine.

Ditto on going over your wiring. The mod is simple to do and if done correctly cannot harm your bike. You must have an open, high-resistance short, etc.

Which version of the mod did you do, as there are several out there?

Found it...

Well I had a total mind melt-down last night with family and the bike... So what was it you ask? I had touched both leeds at one point at the white connector, causing the 30A fuse to blow. Replacing the fuse, now everything is working great..... Just have to reset the clock.
    Thanks to you all on this forum...

And what lesson have we learned here ride200mi?

apriliaforum Junkie
    Originally posted by cavender
    And what lesson have we learned here ride200mi?
    A little off-topic, but I love to tell this story.

My Dad had just finished flushing the radiator of our '73 Buick LeSabre and asked me to pour the appropriate amount of antifreeze back into the radiator. Well, I grabbed the METAL funnel out of the garage, stuck in the radiator fill hole, and began pouring. Well, the radiator cap/fill hole was located on the right side of the radiator, right next to the battery who's positive terminal was located on it's left side; i.e. radiator fill hole right next to the positive battery lead. So, as I'm pouring the antifreeze, the funnel begins to slip, and the next thing I know there are all kinds of sparks coming from the funnel! After I regained my composure and cleaned out my shorts, I found the funnel with a pencil-sized hole burned into the side of it.

Lessons learned:
    1) Radiators are grounded
    2) Car batteries can deliver a whole lot of current
    3) Don't use a metal funnel under a car hood

What Lesson...

To avoid electrical shock do not touch your tongue on an 9 voit battery.??
    In my case... Despite that I was an aircraft mech for 20+ years..??
    I knew I should have looked at the fuse after I saw the sparks, however my 8 year old son desided he needed a little more attention then. I had forgotten about the liittle mishap and thought I was finished. That is until I tried to start the bike and everything went wrong. Sleeping on it, that morning I desided to look at the fuse and behold.... Burnt...
    Again to everyone.... Thank you...
    Last edited by ride200mi; 10-06-2004 at 11:03 PM.

oh dear - weather is getting cooler, so now th estarter is getting sluggish, so looks like I'll be doing the mod this weekend.
    As the bike is coming up for 3 yrs old, it may just be the battery is getting past it's best, but if the mod gets me through the winter it will be cheaper than buying a new battery. Funny thing is, starting from cold just takes one extra 'chug', starting from warm, I've had to switch the lights off to get it started a couple of times. Every other vehicle I've owned has been the opposite way round just before the battery went

Originally posted by RobC
    oh dear - weather is getting cooler, so now th estarter is getting sluggish, so looks like I'll be doing the mod this weekend.
    Why the pro-crastination......just do it. Haven't had to, famous last words, touch wood, use the optimiser at all and considering I only do short daily journeys the mod has worked.
    Brian

[ZZR1400 190bhp, Baglux tank cover, 14.4v charging,ABS,TomTom GPS, double bubble, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips, permanant grin, fluffy dice ]

apriliaforum Member
    Why does the voltage drop at the higher RPM?
    Live for Today, the present is really all you have.

apriliaforum expert

Voltage difference

I just put a new battery in my 2000 Mille R, and was thinking on doing this mod, because I never saw over about 13.3 volts by using the readout on the dash.
    So after I replace the battery, I get the ole meter out and put it across the battery terms @ about 2500 ~3000 rpm and get 14.3 !
    So I'm like whadafuk?
    switch the dash to volts and with the bike on high idle, the dash is happily glowing at 13.2, and the meter across the battery is saying about 14.2 14.3...

Where does the dash readout get it's measurement from?
    And why the difference?

The reading on the meter will rise and fall according to engne RPM, but I never saw below 13 volts at the battery.
    Be polite to everyone you meet...but have a plan to kill them, just in case.

2000 Mille R
    2002 Futura
    Priller Bookends!

Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast