Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Wiring Mod for charging issues.

Originally posted by bikpaintr
    Brian - I ran 2 wires, one from each individual feed wire & the same for the grounds. If you are using standard size wire this would give you the best results.
    I've now run 2 wires from each feed and that has improved the readings and get 14.19 at idle and with my new Metz6 rear I'm flying.
    Brian

[ZZR1400 190bhp, Baglux tank cover, 14.4v charging,ABS,TomTom GPS, double bubble, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips, permanant grin, fluffy dice ]

EFI flashing

Has anyone had a problem with their EFI flashing since they've done the mod? Mine came on first thing today then when off after 4 miles, this evening ok til I'd travelled 3 miles then it came on. Bike seems to run ok, connected diagnostic connector and got error 33.

Any thoughts from anyone....?
    Brian

[ZZR1400 190bhp, Baglux tank cover, 14.4v charging,ABS,TomTom GPS, double bubble, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips, permanant grin, fluffy dice ]

apriliaforum expert bullit in head's Avatar
    33 error code .. eermm isnt that coil 1 , better check it out might be lose or knackered....

bullit

I put my bike into AF1 for various things, including "wiring mod per the forum".

Ed decided not to touch the wiring harness at all, since it looks to be pretty dried up and fragile from the heat.

So, I'm off this weekend for a leisurely ride up to a track day (my first), with my anxiety level rising, for a variety of reasons..

I guess I'd better order a new harness, eh?
    paul
    '01 Flame Red RST
    '07 Tuono
    Economics Crash Course - check it out. Please.

apriliaforum Junkie

This is important...Buckooo

That heated and dried up wiring 'will' cause you problems, provided you are not referring to plain old dirty and an old looking wiring harness. No Futuras that old yet!

Its those old looking wires which need to go!!!!!And the brown block connector to if possible.

You don't necessarily need to replace all the harness, take hold of the wires (the insulated covering and 'feel' for hardening of the inner wire. To get the right feel try to compare suppleness with a fresh spare peice of similar sized wire.

Eventually you will be able to work out how far to pare back to safe non heat/work hardened wire. Replacement although not too easy is reasonably straight forward and should improve your charging system/earth return circuits to better than new (to Aprilia standards for wires). Use male and female crimp bullet connectors and add the additional 'extra wires' as per the mod thread and you should be able to ride without anxiety.

Fly me over and I'll do the work for you for free
    Last edited by The Mechanic; 08-05-2004 at 09:18 AM.
    May the Gods of hot metal go with you and your Futura be bright!

apriliaforum expert
    Fly me over and I'll do the work for you for free
    OI!!! there's a queue
    Might I refer you to pauls thread such are the woes the man has endured through his love of the bike. Patience tested beyond all reasonable bounds.
    Might I also add, that it is well recorded that paul is probably not a natural spannerer (as BB tries to be uncharacteristically subtle) whilst still recalling the hours of pleasure I have had from his sharing of spannering experiences and woes.
    Specifically,
    Rawr Rawr rawr rawr ......... a belter
    The top box fitting saga
    But the piece de resistawnce has to be the spraying of the double bubble

So to the latest, of a long line, my 2 cents worth ..........
    For one, you are undoubtedly in fine hands with AF1 , we both know that, they wouldn't let you head off to the event at risk. Seconly, now they know the extent, I'd follow their advice, probably getting Aprilia involved if possible, this sounds awful but the positive is that we now know the cause and the cure, so it is non recurring.

Off to your track day and enjoy Sir, it WILL be fine, no doubt about it. Hardened insulation and tainted copper will still do the job.

Rab

Originally posted by bossbob
    Might I also add, that it is well recorded that paul is probably not a natural spannerer
    A fair and accurate assessment. I think I started getting hives just reading The Mechanic's advice.

But the piece de resistawnce has to be the spraying of the double bubble
    OK, now you're just being cruel. I'm stopping delivery of the Kentucky bourbon I was shipping to you.

For one, you are undoubtedly in fine hands with AF1 , we both know that, they wouldn't let you head off to the event at risk.
    Agreed. When I picked up the bike yesterday, Ed said just that it might be another 20K miles before I'd need to just replace the bike.

Seconly, now they know the extent, I'd follow their advice, probably getting Aprilia involved if possible, this sounds awful but the positive is that we now know the cause and the cure, so it is non recurring.
    It's probably worth a try. They can't say, "No" until I ask. My bike's out of warranty as of May, btw, so let's just say I'm happy I've got good mechs close by.

Off to your track day and enjoy Sir, it WILL be fine, no doubt about it. Hardened insulation and tainted copper will still do the job.
    The bike's running nicely. I'm looking forward to it. It's 81*F at 0722 this a.m., I don't think warming the tires on Monday will be a problem.
    paul
    '01 Flame Red RST
    '07 Tuono
    Economics Crash Course - check it out. Please.

apriliaforum expert
    I'm stopping delivery of the Kentucky bourbon I was shipping to you.
    That's the spirit mate, I reckon you need it more than me
    I still remember coming back to read that thread (well late) and had no idea of the punch line that was coming ..... it painted a very funny picture
    You have no idea how much I laughed ........ sorry

yip, I'd tell Aprilia what you have found, ask for their assesment, and to put forward a proposal. Can't do any harm. Meanwhile , do enjoy the track day, lots. I hope we might be blessed with another of your video's, but I certainly expect the tales. Probably told as no other can tell them

Shiney side up mate ........ please

ah, P.S. did i ever tell you that the border on the screen is a sticker? available in the pack for the bike ......... no, I probably thought better of it
    Last edited by bossbob; 08-06-2004 at 09:04 AM.

Cool Brown Connector . .

Thought those suffering from 'post-mod' hot brown connectors might want to check my post over on the "Some thougths on the wiring mod" thread. I don't know if it will work for everyone else, but it looks to have solved my heat problem.

apriliaforum Member

Wiring Mod

Does anyone know if Aprilia have recognised the problem yet or are their heads still stuck up their Ars-s? Will they recall?
    My bet is no chance. Who are we to tell them their wiring is under
    specified?

I reported to my dealer that I had done the mod. They had no problem with it. They checked mine out & said it was professional
    job! Thanks goes to Rab & Hans for taking the time to go into great detail. And everyone else who contributed.

My battery was playing up for weeks prior to carrying out the mod, scince then no problem.

Allan F

Re: Wiring Mod

Originally posted by allan F
    Does anyone know if Aprilia have recognised the problem yet or are their heads still stuck up their Ars-s? Will they recall?
    . . .

Allan F
    The skinny to date is that they will not recall, but I've heard of some dealers over here approving and even doing the mod. My particular dealer's initial response was that it was nonsense, but they knew nothing of it when I asked them.

The mod sure worked for me.

apriliaforum expert Powerful Pierre's Avatar
    My dealer finally got a response from Aprilia UK......as I understand it they are aware that owners are making their own mods but they refuse to accept that there is a problem and say that by making the mod owners are invalidating their warranty........nice to know that they are being understanding and helpful once again......

Personally I haven't done the mod but my wiring around the brown connector, particularily on the reg. side is deteriorating.....together with my dealer this is being monitored, Aprilia have been informed, dates of inspections recorded and photos taken ready for persueing the issue with Aprilia further if necessary..........lets see how it evolves.

Pierre

I guess I have nothing to loose. I will try this mod on my Falco.

Originally posted by Powerful Pierre
    My dealer finally got a response from Aprilia UK......as I understand it they are aware that owners are making their own mods but they refuse to accept that there is a problem and say that by making the mod owners are invalidating their warranty........nice to know that they are being understanding and helpful once again......

Personally I haven't done the mod but my wiring around the brown connector, particularily on the reg. side is deteriorating.....together with my dealer this is being monitored, Aprilia have been informed, dates of inspections recorded and photos taken ready for persueing the issue with Aprilia further if necessary..........lets see how it evolves.

Pierre
    There's no e in persuing.
    Brian

apriliaforum expert Powerful Pierre's Avatar
    Originally posted by ib12
    There's no e in persuing.
    OK smartass!!!

Didn't know I'd signed up for a personal spellchecker service....

Pierre

Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast