Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stream silver futura tank discolor?

apriliaforum Member

Stream silver futura tank discolor?

Does anyone elses stream silver futura do this? It starts to get a copper/orange tone in shade and when its overcast. I wouldnt say it looks bad, but it starts to not match the other fairings and it definitely is noticeable. I dont think it has been repainted, and I believe in the sun its not noticeable but I don't pay attention anymore so im not 100% on that. If it was repainted they did a very nice job of wet sanding and color matching, its smooth as can be and also has the aprilia champions badge on it as well still.

apriliaforum Member
    Here are pictures. Im wondering if buffing compound would do anything?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 078.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	149.3 KB 
ID:	262384Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 077.jpg 
Size:	127.5 KB 
ID:	262385Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 076.jpg 
Size:	152.7 KB 
ID:	262386

This is the direct result of fuel seeping through the plastic tank and discoloring from behind.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    Semper Fi!
    WERA # 145
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out http://www.trading-paint.com

apriliaforum Member
    Well, thats awesome! Whats the fix? And why did this happen?

Last edited by TrilkB; 09-09-2014 at 10:07 PM.

If fuel was seeping through the plastic I would think that you'd have blisters & paint lifting, not just discoloration.
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

It only takes fuel vapor, trapped over time. I have to agree with Ron. Nylon is a great material, but it is porous to some extent.

Add ethanol as a polar solvent, and you have a pathway for water, and some fuel with it. This interaction can eventually affect the paint.

From the outside, adhesives in "tank protector" decals can react with the clear coating as well.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by spesnaz View Post
    It only takes fuel vapor, trapped over time. I have to agree with Ron. Nylon is a great material, but it is porous to some extent.

Add ethanol as a polar solvent, and you have a pathway for water, and some fuel with it. This interaction can eventually affect the paint.

From the outside, adhesives in "tank protector" decals can react with the clear coating as well.

Bob
    Speaking of tank protectors, I have the clear 3M stuff sold by Tankslapper on my tank. I see a little of the same color in places under that stuff on my tank. I always assumed it was the plastic film yellowing. Guess i'll have to peel it off - there is no adhesive, it's just stuck on with a static charge.

Quote Originally Posted by TrilkB View Post
    Well, thats awesome! Whats the fix? And why did this happen?

The "fix" is to let the tank sit dry for a month or two and then do a coating on the inside to avoid fuel contact with the plastic. Then repaint the exterior.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    Semper Fi!
    WERA # 145
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out http://www.trading-paint.com

apriliaforum Member
    Knowledge from experience the smartest kind !!

I peeled some of my Tankslapper, 3M film off of my tank to see if it was the film or the paint. My Stream Silver is still. It's the plastic that's yellowed.

I'd be curious to know if that tank is stained underneath as well.

My tank exterior go saturated with gas accidently while off the bike and turned that same color, but slowly faded back to original silver.

apriliaforum Member
    as far as I know it doesnt have any film over it. I also took some rubbing compound to it and it didnt do anything

BMWbob - On the way to my neices birthday I filled up with gas and I went to lift th nozzel up while still filling to get it higher in the tank befor the auto shut off clicked. Well I pulled it up 1/4 inch to far, got a face and lap full of gas. so it has happened that gas is on the outside, but I wiped it off really fast. Well as fast as I could since it also went straight into my eye as well. 2nd time ive had gas in my eye, hurts just the same each time lol. Thats a hell of a torture.

Quote Originally Posted by TrilkB View Post
    as far as I know it doesnt have any film over it. I also took some rubbing compound to it and it didnt do anything

BMWbob - On the way to my neices birthday I filled up with gas and I went to lift th nozzel up while still filling to get it higher in the tank befor the auto shut off clicked. Well I pulled it up 1/4 inch to far, got a face and lap full of gas. so it has happened that gas is on the outside, but I wiped it off really fast. Well as fast as I could since it also went straight into my eye as well. 2nd time ive had gas in my eye, hurts just the same each time lol. Thats a hell of a torture.
    My discoloration was on the outside and sounds like yours is from the inside!

Quote Originally Posted by spesnaz View Post

Bob
    So if that was the case everyone that was using E10 fuel would be seeing this same issue. I've run E10 since 2004 & no discoloration yet.
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

apriliaforum Member
    Mine is a 2001 with 5800 miles on it...it sits alot which is probably why it happened. Oh well, it still starts and I dont stare at the tank while riding.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast