Thread: my dash wont turn on when its cold?! horn stops working when hot!

apriliaforum prov-nov chefdanny69's Avatar

my dash wont turn on when its cold?! horn stops working when hot!

it seems that my dash does not come on if its 50 degrees F or lower! so when its cold outside my dash doesnt come on and if my bike is warmed up it comes back on!?, seems with my bike there is a bunch of gremlins! also when my bike is really hot! my horn stops working! whats the best thing i can do about this!?

apriliaforum expert thesprocket26's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chefdanny69 View Post
    it seems that my dash does not come on if its 50 degrees F or lower! so when its cold outside my dash doesnt come on and if my bike is warmed up it comes back on!?, seems with my bike there is a bunch of gremlins! also when my bike is really hot! my horn stops working! whats the best thing i can do about this!?
    Check the back of the cluster, I think there are two plug/connectors. Maybe one isn't fully latched into the back of the cluster. Then its on to voltage checks in the harness.

There are many wiring issues, I think just about everyone has had something at one time or another. Have you checked the harness loom on the right side of the bike, kind of nestled between the cylinder "V"? Carefully slice the loom cover and see if water drains and if you have corroded wires in there.

as for the horn, just scream obscenities inside you helmet. Its a great stress relief.
    If your idea of sport-touring is multi-position seats, cruise control and electrically-adjustable windshields, youíre probably not Italian and you donít deserve a Futura. - Kevin Duke

2001 RST1000 Futura

The low temp related dash outage has been directly related, multiple times,
    to the dash circuit board feedthru -or- capacitor failure.
    Well documented in the Sticky Thread titled 'Futura and Capo Dash Repair'.
    '02 Futura, Blue
    90k miles and all is well.

Quote Originally Posted by rblue02 View Post
    The low temp related dash outage has been directly related, multiple times,
    to the dash circuit board feedthru -or- capacitor failure.
    Well documented in the Sticky Thread titled 'Futura and Capo Dash Repair'.
    well thats unfortunate! i could barley fix my rear wheel! which i did thanks to the forum! i refuse to sell my bike so i will have to fix this!

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I have the same problem, does anyone have a how to for removing the dash? I want to fix the resistor as well as change the clock faces to white.
    Also the bike came with a Givi top box but it isn't fitted, I need to remove the rear hand grip piece to fit it, not sure how to pull this off either:-o

Quote Originally Posted by Haggisbash View Post
    I have the same problem, does anyone have a how to for removing the dash? I want to fix the resistor as well as change the clock faces to white.
    Also the bike came with a Givi top box but it isn't fitted, I need to remove the rear hand grip piece to fit it, not sure how to pull this off either:-o
    look at the dash repair for the futura and the coponard, its in the beginning of the forum for futura, looks like it can be done easily, i plan on doing it next summer or spring or i will just pull out my heat gun and warm up the instrument panel when its cold out side! i will deal with it now!

Temperature-dependent transient issues can be a real pickle, but if they are repeatable, you can pinpoint the issue. I've seen planty of issues with "lead-free" solder, that shite is brittle and cracks readily under a few years of normal use.

As for the horn? That wee buzzer hidden between your radiators is a gift from Piaggio, a genuine Vespa scooter horn. Get rid of the thing and install either a mechanical set like the Hellas, or an air horn like the Stebel Nautilus. You won't regret it.

Bob

apriliaforum expert thesprocket26's Avatar
    AIR HORN!!!!!
    If your idea of sport-touring is multi-position seats, cruise control and electrically-adjustable windshields, youíre probably not Italian and you donít deserve a Futura. - Kevin Duke

2001 RST1000 Futura