Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Show me your Satnav mount

apriliaforum expert Powerful Pierre's Avatar

Show me your Satnav mount

I've finally got round to looking at mounting my satnav on the bike and I'm not seeing an easy solution....first off I thought the hex hole in the steering stem would be the way to go but I've yet to find a ram type attachment that is compatable as they all seem to be for a circular hole in that location.
    Looking at ram's application list the bracket they show for the Futura doesn't seem compatable with the bike and I can't see where it would go, unless I'm missing something obvious.....

So the question for those that are using a satnav is how/where have you mounted it?

Hi PP, I did mine the same as this (which I got from this very forum) but I don't use it very much.
    Name:  Satnav mount-1.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  118.6 KB
    Name:  Satnav mount-2.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  100.1 KB

I am using an SW-Motech stem ball clamp combined with a RAM-bracket. The clamp is very tight despite the stem nut being hexagonal.

Name:  cpa_00_424_13000__b_101351768521-15521.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  276.8 KB
    2002 Stream Silver Futura: Falco Showa forks, 320mm rotors , wiring mod, new rectifier, FPR mod, BEF's, custom LED dash with integrated voltmeter, warning lights, HID lights, own design topcase rack, brass fuel couplings
    2005 black/bronze Falco: JCE carbon mufflers, Discacciati cast iron brake discs, wiring mod, Mille shock, warning lights, own design bag rack, HID light, Tomasselli adjustable clipons, mini-LED turn signal lights, Gabro dual map chip
    Past:
    1995 Honda VFR750FS
    1978 Zundapp KS50

This is the RAM Stem mount I use. It is a bit floppy but in 3 years it has stayed put well enough. The extra bonus is that it's inexpensive!
    Name:  RAM-B-3424.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  44.7 KB
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RAM-B-342.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	142.5 KB 
ID:	225674
    http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResul...5/Default.aspx
    Twinz - John
    Montpelier, VT

'04 Fut Ash Black...de-restricted, Evo air filter, Bikpaintr re-rectified, Dingledork bungeed, QDs, RKA tankbag, Powerlet, Heattroller, waterproofed coils w/Stu_O HT wires, R&G sliders, Skidmarx hugger, Fenda-extenda, Bungee Buddies, Scottoiler (removed), Heli-Bars, Heaterz grips, Staintunes, Stebel Nautilus, Fuzeblock, Zumo 660 w/S.W. Motech Stem Mount, Acumen DGV, rebuilt forks w/Ohlins valves & RaceTech springs, Bef's R&G bar ends.
    Gone but not forgotten:
    '94 R1100RS
    '84 R100CS
    '76 R75/6 w/S fairing
    '80 Guzzi V50 II
    '73 Guzzi V7 Sport

apriliaforum newb
    Hi All - I got mine from http://www.telferizer.com/ very neat job.
    2004 Futura
    2007 Caponord
    1996 Tenere

Lots of GPS tankbags available now.

This Hein Gericke example is pretty big, but you get the picture.

Name:	streetline_Tankrucksack_Touring_GPS_4.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	274.2 KB 
ID:	225682
    No Matter Where You Are, There You Go!

Wouldn't recommend using this system as I want to keep at least one eye on the road. Satnav mount is closer to the front so easier to keep that eye on the road. My tankbag has a map compartment too and satnav fits in it but looking at the satnav is like looking at my balls.
    2002 Stream Silver Futura: Falco Showa forks, 320mm rotors , wiring mod, new rectifier, FPR mod, BEF's, custom LED dash with integrated voltmeter, warning lights, HID lights, own design topcase rack, brass fuel couplings
    2005 black/bronze Falco: JCE carbon mufflers, Discacciati cast iron brake discs, wiring mod, Mille shock, warning lights, own design bag rack, HID light, Tomasselli adjustable clipons, mini-LED turn signal lights, Gabro dual map chip
    Past:
    1995 Honda VFR750FS
    1978 Zundapp KS50

I was looking at the Telferizer system myself.
    "A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu
    2001 Futura
    Mods: HEL Front and Rear SS Brake Lines, Rear Hugger, Scott Oiler, Oxford HotGrips with eBay LED Dimmer Control, Garmin GPS and RAM Mount, Moko Frame Protection, Elextrex World MOSFeT RR with Wiring Mod, Tom Parker Metal QDs, Loud Ass Ford Transit Horn, Silicone Vacuum Lines, FPR Mod, De-Restricted Intake, 05 Map, Datatool System3 Immobiliser, Yamaha Starter Relay, BagLux Tank Cover and Alpha Bag With Power, Perelli Angel GTs, 25mm 170 Amp Power and Ground Cables, LED AUX Lights, LED Turn signals Converted to Running Lights, 3-Beam Main Beam Mod.
    To Come: Dash LEDs, HID Low Beam

I prefer a simpler solution.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SW_Motech_Ram_Ball_2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	328.6 KB 
ID:	225702  

Name:	SW_Motech_Ram_Ball_1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	396.3 KB 
ID:	225703  

-joe

"It's all in the reflexes."
    -Jack Burton

Is that just a longer bolt through the bar and riser?

What ever happened with the potential move to Tennessee?
    '01 Futura
    SV650 track bike

Quote Originally Posted by Pars View Post
    Wouldn't recommend using this system as I want to keep at least one eye on the road. Satnav mount is closer to the front so easier to keep that eye on the road. My tankbag has a map compartment too and satnav fits in it but looking at the satnav is like looking at my balls.
    The one I was considering had a flip-up GPS compartment in the front of the tank bag, higher up than the stem mounts. It was pretty sweet, had charging station inside for everything, only exposed wiring was main power supply to a power outlet or auxiliary connector. It was pricey though, and useless when you want GPS but don't want bulky luggage in your chest.

I like the stem mount, don't like the exposed wiring. They're sweet with permanent wiring to a powered base, but even those are usually lower than the tankbag units. You can--and I have--add a longer bar between stem ball and base for higher visibility, but god, that's ugly as a topcase on Futura. Might as well be riding a GS or a Capo.
    No Matter Where You Are, There You Go!

Quote Originally Posted by spaz_666 View Post
    I prefer a simpler solution.
    Hey Spaz,

Are those Genmar risers? How do they work out for you?

Also, is that a standard RAM ball? Like this one: http://www.ram-mount.co.uk/1-ball-mo...c-238_286.html

Mike
    "A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu
    2001 Futura
    Mods: HEL Front and Rear SS Brake Lines, Rear Hugger, Scott Oiler, Oxford HotGrips with eBay LED Dimmer Control, Garmin GPS and RAM Mount, Moko Frame Protection, Elextrex World MOSFeT RR with Wiring Mod, Tom Parker Metal QDs, Loud Ass Ford Transit Horn, Silicone Vacuum Lines, FPR Mod, De-Restricted Intake, 05 Map, Datatool System3 Immobiliser, Yamaha Starter Relay, BagLux Tank Cover and Alpha Bag With Power, Perelli Angel GTs, 25mm 170 Amp Power and Ground Cables, LED AUX Lights, LED Turn signals Converted to Running Lights, 3-Beam Main Beam Mod.
    To Come: Dash LEDs, HID Low Beam

apriliaforum expert Powerful Pierre's Avatar
    Thanks guys, lots of ideas/inspiration there!

PhotoRotor: I was offered the job, but with no relocation assistance and a completely unrealistic timetable on moving and beginning my new position - reality set in and I turned it down. I did visit the job site and explored the Nashville area and OMG is it beautiful.

BadMiker: Yes those are the GenMar risers. They honestly don't do all that much for me in terms of comfort (I find the Futura just fine with or without the risers), but I do prefer the little bit of extra clearance they provide between the controls / grips and the fuel tank. The mount is the older version of the SW-Motech CPA.00.424.112. It is made of solid aluminum and doesn't deform like the rubber balls made by RAM. If you're not using the GenMars, the SW-Motech kit comes with longer socket head cap screws and will bolt right in. Because of the bar risers, I had to source an even longer screw.

Here's my setup, an old Garmin 2720 StreetPilot in a Touratech cradle, held in place via a RAM stem mount. I too found the RAM mount to be a bit wobbly until I re-read the instructions and figured out how to tighten it. Now it is solid as can be.

The Touratech cradle is overkill but it was a gift from the wife and so I'd better use it. Why do I have such an old boat anchor of a GPS? Well, it works, no one wants to steal it, and unlike most new Garmin units except the Zumos (that I'm not about to pay for), it supports routes, so I can plan a route on the computer, upload it to the GPS, and then follow it.

Kurt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	225790  

03 Futura
    88 Honda Hawk GT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast