Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kill switch

apriliaforum prov-nov

Kill switch

The Aprilia manual is very explicit that one is only to use the kill/engine stop switch in case of *emergency*. Anyone know if there is some reason in particular for this?

Just curious....

apriliaforum Junkie
    Also doesn't help that many times people in the habit of using the kill switch forget to turn the key off and drain the battery because the headlight stays on.

apriliaforum expert bikerdennis's Avatar
    It is always a good practice, on any motorcycle, to use the key, not the kill switch, unless it's an emergency. You don't want to wear the switch out with everyday use, then not have it when you really need it.
    '02 Futura, Ash Grey(Original Owner)
    Custom Corbin Seat
    PCIII USB
    Famsa Tank Bag
    BagsForBikes Pannier Liners
    K&N Air Filter
    Rick's Hot Shot Rectifier
    Shorai Battery
    Metal Fuel Quick Disconnect
    Powerlet Socket
    Brown Connector Eliminated
    Trottlemeister Bar Ends
    more to follow...

Quote Originally Posted by bikerdennis View Post
    You don't want to wear the switch out with everyday use, then not have it when you really need it.
    hmm, so turn signal switches and brake light switches are built to 10M x better stds?

This whole conversation has come up well in the past with lots of speculation, but no real answers as to why Manuel recommends limited use of the kill switch. Does the ECU get confused? Are people too dumb to remember to turn off the key? On and on.

My Yamaha's starter button is integral with the kill switch. Go figure.

Kill switch

I was always confused by this. Muscle memory says habitual use of the kill switch will mean in an emergency you will hit the kill switch if needed. I use the key always as recommended and would have to pay attention if I needed the kill switch. On those odd occasions when I accidentally hit the kill switch it always freaks me out when I hit the starter and nothing happens! I guess since our bikes have a tilt switch it's unnecessary to worry that the engine will continue to run after a fall!
    Twinz - John
    Montpelier, VT

Gone but not forgotten:
    '04 RST 1000 Futura
    '94 R1100RS
    '84 R100CS
    '76 R75/6 w/S fairing
    '80 Guzzi V50 II
    '73 Guzzi V7 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Twinz View Post
    On those odd occasions when I accidentally hit the kill switch it always freaks me out when I hit the starter and nothing happens!
    It makes for an odd starter "button" as it's part of the same slide switch that also is the kill switch (up/back to kill, spring loaded down/forward to crank, middle for run), but that sorta surprise can't happen on my FZ7. Even after a year, on occasion, I still push an imaginary button with my thumb. It's like getting into a car with an auto tranny and doing a left foot air push looking for the clutch pedal.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    ^^^Didn't work out to well for Stoner^^^

There's a lot of confusion and mystery concerning the kill switch. Perhaps I can clear this up a bit for you.

First, it's a mechanical switch with a mechanical contact. Over time, the constant contact can corrode a wee bit. Switches are intended to be operated from time to time. This action of moving the contacts helps keep the point of contact clean. Occasionally operating the kill switch, and all of your handlebar switches, is a good idea.

If the kill switch is in the OFF position when you turn on the ignition key, you will see a flashing EFI light alerting you to this condition. The starter is also disabled in this position, so you won't be endlessly cranking your starter.

I like to kill the engine via the sidestand switch. It's a little unorthodox, but I never park the bike in neutral, as this would allow the bike to roll while on the sidestand, especially on the roadside or a position where it is not parked on a level or slightly uphill grade. Have a look at the clock display in this condition. You will see that the time display is replaced with the word "OFF" in place of the time.

It's a good idea to familiarize yourself with the feel and position of your kill switch. In the unfortunate event of a spill, killing the engine is important, and you only have a brief moment to do that, should you remember to do so. The "topple" sensor is there to kill the engine, and will do so as the bike banks beyond 60 degrees, but imagine the case where you are "spit off" from the bike in a crash. Physics can work against you, and the bike without hands on the handlebars can indeed right itself, traveling for some distance. There's a beautiful video of a racer who loses his bike, and chases it down, hopping back on to continue the race.

Bob

apriliaforum prov-nov
    So...this is just a case of the manual giving us "advice" not warning us that there is some unique feature of the bike that will be harmed by repeated use of the kill switch.

Sam

Yeah, I think it's a case of tradition and "boilerplate" legal owners manual information. They don't want riders having bad habits, using the wrong switch to operate the motorcycle.

It's nice that the Futura has warnings to show you the switch status. Over years of working with fire apparatus and helicopters, I'm in the habit of always cycle and test the safety devices on whatever I am working with...or riding.

Bob

apriliaforum newb
    Is there a hidden kill switch, near kickstand on the 2003 aprilia caponord 1000? My battery and spark plugs are new. Gasoline has been drained and fresh batch put in. Head light, dash board and signals work, but bike will not crank over... Could it be a kill switch?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbodee View Post
    Is there a hidden kill switch, near kickstand on the 2003 aprilia caponord 1000? My battery and spark plugs are new. Gasoline has been drained and fresh batch put in. Head light, dash board and signals work, but bike will not crank over... Could it be a kill switch?
    Yer saying the bike won't start or the starter motor will not spin up?

pretty much every motorcycle these days has a side stand safety switch that will not allow the starter motor to run if the bike is in gear, and the sidetsand is down/deployed.

there's another switch on the clutch lever that will not allow the starter to spin if the bike is in gear and the clutch lever is not pulled.

Hell, my car won't even allow you to start it in neutral w/o depressing the clutch 1st.

My bike died when one of the two cables to the clutch lever snapped at the point where it was cable tied to the headstock.
    04 Silver,FPR Mod,Derestrict Airbox,Mille Boot,Reg/Rec Mod.,05 Map,Heated Grips,Smoked Screen,Beftura Forks,Scottoiler,Stone Chips,Scratches...

The Art of Bodge-It Never Fails.

It's because the kill switch is a rinky little thing not designed for thousands of cycles like the more robust ignition switch is.
    Furthermore, on Futura, it strays from all their safety lockout functions being ground-controlled through the diode pack as it is a direct breaker of the ignition power supply to the start button. A pretty vital function there, providing power to your starter button, in impeccable condition it drops 200 mV to starter relay that I have never been able to reduce. It should be run on ground-control side with the rest of the safety switches, but with it's tight location atop start button, it's a fair compromise to connect straight to power there rather than run down and tie into the diode circuits. (Another story there, that diode module dropping over a volt on the starter relay ground side)

Short story: It's not durable enough for everyday use, where failure = no-crank, or worse: unintended engine kill on a twisty, downhill gravel road.
    No Matter Where You Are, There You Go!

It seems like it might disrupt the electronics. I always use the key.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast