Thread: Wavy Discs experience or are they just for show !!!

Wavy Discs experience or are they just for show !!!

Hi,

Just found these on ebay and its my next major purchase as I don't think my current set 30K will pass the MOT next year in the UK.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2913098312...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks in advance.

I'd be asking the seller how thick the discs are? IMHO, the wave discs are good, having had numerous versions over the years, (currently Galfer), but I'd be sticking to brand name versions (even though they are likely to be made in China anyways), as opposed to cheap Chinese copies. Again just my 2 cents and it's your money after all.

Hoh, Hum, another shitty day in paradise!

If you want wavy, AF1 has the EBC "wavy" type. Just installed a pair, very nice.

Bob

I have the Braking wave rotors. They were installed to account for the different diameter needed for the Mille fork swap by the previous owner. I am very happy with this setup. I have no way of comparing this to the stock setup. However, the brakes have great initial bite with very good feedback.

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by exdukenut View Post
    but I'd be sticking to brand name versions (even though they are likely to be made in China anyways), as opposed to cheap Chinese copies. Again just my 2 cents and it's your money after all.
    Agree with Exdukenut - try to avoid Chinese brake parts unless you have endless supplies of money to replace substandard garbage (especially when it comes to safety equipment) - ask me how I know.

OK I contacted UK supplier and he will replace them if they warp within the firsts 12 months under warranty so I'm going to give them a try. Will let you know next spring what I think and how there lasting.
    Thanks for all the feed back its appreciated. Just waiting up for Santa !!!!

Regarding Chinese rotors, I had a very amusing experience with a Ford Thunderbird. Loved the car, it had a big 4.6 litre V8. It had a problem with warped brake rotors. I replaced them regularly, and tried different brands of rotors. Finally, on a whim, I found a set of rotors "made in China".

I joked with my wife, "the damned things are made from scrap metal from melted Fords". Gotta tell you, the rotors worked brilliantly! It was nice to replace just pads from then on, no warps, and the rotors lasted quite a while.

I can only speak for the EBCs on the Futura, so far they feel pretty decent. I really wanted Brembos, but was informed that there would be a considerable delay in getting them, and the originals were worn below 4.3mm. The castellated edge is powdercoated black, a nice touch, and they are floating rotors like the originals. Will upload some photos as they wear in.

Quick update on the EBC rotors. I have about 1k on them, and have some irregular wear using the sintered Accossato pads. Running to the workshop today for some other projects, I'm pulling the front wheel for a thorough look.

Perhaps the pad combination is less than optimal, it may be these pads. I have a set of Brembos to test too. May be this rotor steel likes a semi-sintered better, will see.

Well, that was easy! Grabbed a pliers and a cup of coffee. Pads are done. Well, that's a first, I've never seen a brake pad grenade in 1,000-1500 miles. Damn things melted like butter. Will have to resurface the rotors this morning and will run the Brembos as a short test. Perhaps the Ferodo Platinums are a better choice for this new rotor. In the packaging, EBC states "18 per cent better than stainless", so are these ductile iron, or some other alloy?

Here are the findings. I resurfaced the rotors lightly using 3M abrasive media. Man, I'm really glad, as the inboard edge on one pad went down to the nub, grinding the surface a bit. Reinstalled with OEM Brembo sintered pads. Did some searching through the EBC catalog, the rotors are EBC 2001X series, and yes, they are designed for sintered pads. Well, just not the Accossatos, I guess. Strangely, they did acceptably well with the original Brembo rotors.

I am going to run with the EBC FA244V Semi-Sintered pads.

Bob
    Last edited by spesnaz; 12-28-2014 at 12:03 PM.

It'd be good to know more about those rotors. I've thought about getting some in the past.
    2008 Tuono... da blue color
    2001 Futura in Silver, Acumen DGVPainted W-screenPazzo Knock-offs.

Jesus, family, me. Psalm 121 - Red Pill Mille Clip - Delkevic Sound Clip
    Slammin' Tunes!

Past 2-wheel Swags: 08 Tuono 1000R [Current], 10 R6 Raven, 09 RSV 1000R, 06 GSXR 1000 SF, 02 Bandit 1200 N, 03 RSV 1000, 05 Katana 600, 01 Futura 1000 [(silver) Current], 98 VLX 600 (customized by me), 00 GSXR 750, 01 Futura 1000 (red), 02 Bandit 1200S, 83 V65 Magna, 91 Nighthawk 750, 9? 700 Honda, 93 GSXR 750, 91 Katana 600, 78 KZ400, 82 CB450 Custom
    HF152, 10-26954
    HF564,

Braking's Sk2 is a very nice rotor. They are only single directional and their design is like the Brembo T carrier, as it keeps less stress on the buttons. They were a lot thicker than my OEM rotors and weighed just a little less.

Other than that you won't notice anything going from one SS to another SS rotor won't make a difference in braking power.
    Only when changing rotor material will you see a difference in stopping force. Just make sure and get some reputable ones so they will be straight.

They're beautiful rotors, even have the design touch of a painted outer edge, in gloss black.

Apparently, the rivet holes feature a squared edge for positive contact under all temperature conditions. I switched back to the OE Brembo pads for now, and they stop very well, routine two-finger lever application is very predictable.

I would have to say these rotors do stop shorter than the Brembos, very nice.

Bob