Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Staintune vs stock muffler

Staintune vs stock muffler

So I bought a Futura and it has the Staintune pipes, a little loud for my tastes as I'll be riding long distances/hours at a time. I see there are a few stock mufflers on Ebay. Will the bike lose a significant amount of power going backto a stock muffler?
    May be putting the Staintunes up for sale, any idea what to ask for them?

Jay "RZ"

I assume there are no restrictors on the ends of the pipes. The Staintune site shows they sell the restrictors but you probably would contact them directly or do a WTB in the classifieds. They are much quieter with the restrictors, but not as quiet as the stock muffler and stock breadbox.

I don't think the power difference would be noticeable on the street unless a tune was done with the specific setup you have. Since the pipes are discontinued, a price is difficult to determine. I bought mine used nine years ago and they have not lost value.
    Don

Do you have the stock can underneath? With that and Staintunes, the sound is pretty mello. If you have an H-Pipe, then it gets loud.

$300 to $400 is about the going rate for a set of cans like these. They are in demand.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    Semper Fi!
    A group #45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out http://www.trading-paint.com

When last available they up over $1000 a pair. Now that they are NLA I wouldn't even think about selling mine for under $500. My advice is to buy a pair of the DB killers Staintune sells for about $60 a pair. I think you will be quite happy with the sound at that point.
    John B.
    02 Ash Black w/Staintunes, PC3 w/custom map, Evo Filter, Mille Air Boot, derestricted air box, Heli-Bars, Wilbers shock, new rectifier, Scottoiler, heated grips, T'meister, c/f frt. fender & hugger.

You should try the DB killers before you sell the cans. There are two types available - Large Volume Road Restrictor and Standard Road Restrictor. I emailed them to see if they can send me specs on both. It looks like the large volume is 34mm OD vs 27mm for the standard.

Staintune fitting instructions advise using the restrictors. I find my bike runs better with them in - without, it's a little rough and lumpy, as well as irritatingly loud fter 10 minutes' riding.
    It flies sideways through time
    It's an electric line
    To your zodiac sign

I've got a Silver Machine

2002 Futura, Silver

1996 Moto Guzzi California 1100i

Yeah I'd kinda like this bike to be quiet so buying a stock muffler to re-install on my Futura.
    Anyone want these Staintunes, shoot me a PM with an offer, as mentioned I don't have the DB inserts.

Jay

Check pm
    "How can you have pudding if you don't eat your meat"

Bike was fitted Staintunes with muffler (No H pipe) when i got it in 06, did fit the standard system back on and it really made little difference to volume or running the Tunes are a bit more of a rumble so reinstalled in 07 and been on ever since.

apriliaforum newb
    If you were in the UK I'd do a swap + cash your way tomorrow, but think the shipping both ways will make it a bit financially pointless :-( Hope you get sorted out though.

Quote Originally Posted by jayrz View Post
    Yeah I'd kinda like this bike to be quiet so buying a stock muffler to re-install on my Futura.
    Anyone want these Staintunes, shoot me a PM with an offer, as mentioned I don't have the DB inserts.

Jay

apriliaforum newb
    Andy, If you ever get rid, first shout on the tunes please

Quote Originally Posted by AndyB27 View Post
    Bike was fitted Staintunes with muffler (No H pipe) when i got it in 06, did fit the standard system back on and it really made little difference to volume or running the Tunes are a bit more of a rumble so reinstalled in 07 and been on ever since.

Sorry AdeWall the Tunes are staying on

apriliaforum Member
    I cant imagine this bike sounding any quieter then with staintunes and no DB killers. It shouldve come from the factory this way lol.

I didnt know db killers were even an option with the staintunes, my bike had staintunes on it without the db killers in when I got it. Good to know if I need it to be quieter I can.

For anyone who is seeing this thread, I did indeed swap my pipes for a stock muffler. It is a lot quieter now but I sort of like it that way. Performance wise I'm not all that concerned as i own two RSVs to play with when I'm in "that" mood anyway.
    Previous owner, or the last person to change the rear tire, effectively ruined my rear wheel and had to buy one on ebay.
    Bike seems to be running well and installing a new Pilot Road4 on the new (used) rear wheel today and I may actually get to ride my $1700 Futura today... Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by TrilkB View Post
    I cant imagine this bike sounding any quieter then with staintunes and no DB killers. It shouldve come from the factory this way lol.
    I keep on looking at the DB killers contemplating the same thing. For me it will happen sooner or later. Way too loud for the gentleman's express.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast