Thread: Pannier retention straps

apriliaforum prov-nov

Pannier retention straps

I need the straps that hold the pannier sides when open. If note the stock set up, then any alternative repair would be appreciated.

If you look for something called "knife strap," that's a good material to make retention straps from. It's actually rubber strap divers use to secure a knife to their arm or leg while diving. It's about the same thickness as the original pannier retention straps. Cut it to size and poke a few holes in the right spots and you should be set. Inexpensive repair. Won't say "Aprilia" on the rubber, but who's looking?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Thanks

You're welcome, but I just realized you're talking about the line that holds the door up when you have the pannier open. Thought you were indicating the little tabs hooked to the license plate that keep the panniers secure to the bike. On second thought, however, knife strap should work for your application too. But I would probably go with thin cable like the kind you see on garage door openers before I went with knife strap. You can get that at the hardware store or probably even Walmart. I just saw cable like that at Harbor Freight recently too...also a cheap, yet very strong material that would be perfect for the job.

The plastic original retaining straps will eventually separate at the ends. These wee beasties are important, lest the lid simply flop to the ground! Like many specialty parts, it appears Luigi made one big batch of them, and went on vacation.

No worries! I found a solution to the pannier lid flop. Using the same original strap mounting hardware, you can fashion a set of Nylon retaining straps. All you really need is a few lengths of this durable "rope", with loops or crimps at each end.

The material I used was from Webasto, from the repair kit for the VW Eos convertible top. Nice thing with this cabling is that there are aluminum ferrules that are crimped to make a nice loop at the ends, but by using a few lengths of readily available Nylon cord, you can simply loop them through small electrical crimp-type barrels, or tie a decent loop knot at the end. On one end of the straps, this is exactly what I did, as the Webasto straps do have an eyelet on one end.

The firefighter in me has never lost that fascination with rope and knots. You can double over the end of the cord, and fashion a basic bight on the end. I never photographed these wee ropes, at least I think I haven't...will take a few photos this afternoon.

This type of cord should be easily sourced at a crafts store or hobby shop, much cheaper than the convertible top kit would be. The Webasto top is a work of art, spent many hours repairing them after the vehicle has been tweaked in a collision, or if age has simply deteriorated the spider's web of wee cables in there.

Home today doing some repairs. Here's a quick look at the cables.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0730.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	455.1 KB 
ID:	327120

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0731.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	476.7 KB 
ID:	327121

Did these one afternoon as a "quick and dirty" repair. Note a wee piece of rubber tubing should be split and glued to the metal bracket to protect the line.

Bob
    Last edited by spesnaz; 02-20-2017 at 03:16 PM.

Heavy weedeater cord might do.
    JD

'01 Futura

I think i'm going to try some of these this season...
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#connecting-lanyards/=16ft9dh

maybe the eye to loop so they can be completely opened if necessary... to cheap not to try.