Page 4 of 116 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you done to your Caponord today?

apriliaforum Member
    I use Metro View on an iPhone 4. Speed is fairly small but the overspeed alarm stands out on the screen well enough for me.

Woke up for work today.

It was raining the whole night.

Warm up the bike and poooof, white smoke came out from the exhaust(only for a few minutes). Not sure if there's water inside the exhaust cause I parked my bike in a covered carpark.

Anyway, I read somewhere in the forum abt this white smoke issue but can't really remember what it is all about.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by idiakez View Post
    Woke up for work today.

It was raining the whole night.

Warm up the bike and poooof, white smoke came out from the exhaust(only for a few minutes). Not sure if there's water inside the exhaust cause I parked my bike in a covered carpark.

Anyway, I read somewhere in the forum abt this white smoke issue but can't really remember what it is all about.
    Mine does that all the time and it's just water/condensation. If it doesnt go away after a few mins then you need to get it checked out.

Quote Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post
    Mine does that all the time and it's just water/condensation. If it doesnt go away after a few mins then you need to get it checked out.
    Roger that! Thanks mate!

Australia has moved to a position of importing most of it fuel in the not so clean bowels of ships.
    This imported fuel is a dye laden heavey waxey crude compared to the sweet light crude that has supplied Australia's energy needs from the Bass Strait Oil fields in the past .
    If your bike has a lay off you will find that the dye in the fuel will form a residue in supply lines and low spots.
    I believe from your purchase date fuel has only a 3 week shelf life
    A friend recently commented that it smelt like some sought of onion concoction ?
    Due to this developing problem I have installed a inline conical filter to prevent time consuming costly strips
    The good old days may be over
    Bike shown is a 650 Pegaso , but really looking forward to throwing the leg across the new Caponord
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	509.2 KB 
ID:	269671

apriliaforum Member
    Surely that cannot be correct - a 3 week shelf life?! If so that's a huge refining error!

Yeah the degradation starts at about that time according to the lab techs that I work with .
    i work in oil and gas in Victoria Bass strait fields.
    These days if the bike sits for too long I dump the fuel and relegate it to mower use only.
    Also due the dye/residue problem I close the tank isolation valve and run the Carbs dry to prevent the residue drop out.

apriliaforum Member
    There are going to be a host of claims coming up if that's the case. My Caponord was last run a month ago and probably won't see a road in anger again until March, or when they stop salting the roads.

Given its March till you hit the road again I definitely would close the valve run it dry and dump the fuel and go for a fresh refill of juice in March
    If you carnt do that I would drop about 500ml of mentholated spirits into the tank after a lengthy lay off
    As to making a claim against the oil giants its as useful and as hard as herding cats
    Do you know if the Caponords have a inline filter?

apriliaforum Member
    No idea on the filter, but I've never had any problems leaving the fuel in my bike over winter in England. I'll turn it over occasionally, but that's pretty much it.

Carb bikes are more prone than EI bikes to the residue drop out of the added dye
    I suspect the Uk has a better and cleaner refining situation than Australia now has
    Most of our light sweet crude is shipped offshore ��
    Spoke with Aprila dealer service Tech today ahead of a test ride and they also give fuel a 3-4 week life before it starts to degrade.
    Test ride: plenty of good rides around but The Capo is right up there in the top shelf , bit of the wet stuff around left it in road mode , envious
    Good luck

apriliaforum Member
    I shouted mine a new set of Bridgestone T30 tyres. Will report on how they feel/grip/wear as I go.

These replaced a set of Dunlop Roadsmarts, which I only got about 4000km out of. Stuck like $hit to a blanket, great in the twisties, but not suited to the Capo's weight and highway miles I don't think.

That could explain my bikes behavior starting after 6 weeks off

The EFI sign been coming out together with the Warning light for the past 3 days. Have to make time to go for a check up.

Today I installed Bi-xenon projectors and 2 small LED lights to improve lighting... Works well!

Page 4 of 116 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast