Page 119 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,785 of 1850

Thread: What have you done to your Caponord today?

  1. #1771
    apriliaforum Member azrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    SOUTHERN ARIZONA
    Posts
    155
    SudEst, What oil are you using? Synthetic or Synthetic Blend?
    Last edited by azrider; 01-02-2018 at 01:47 PM.
    AZRIDER
    15 CAPONORD 1200 TRAVEL PACK
    03 CAPONORD ETV 1000 DUST GRAY
    04 CANDY BLACKCHERRY GL1800 ABS

  2. #1772
    apriliaforum expert Satanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    601
    Name:  3317410.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  4.5 KB

  3. #1773
    apriliaforum Junkie SudEst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by azrider View Post
    SudEst, What oil are you using? Synthetic or Synthetic Blend?
    Motul 7100 synthetic.

    I知 not really concerned but a little surprised as about the time it hit 6,000km it seemed to give up its drinking habit of 100ml every 1,000km


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #1774
    apriliaforum Member azrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    SOUTHERN ARIZONA
    Posts
    155
    SudEst, This may be your problem. Aprilia recommends Synthetic Blend. Many vehicles will use oil with Synthetic as it does not allow the rings to wear in to seal properly. Generally after at least 10 t0 15 thousand miles on a new engine use of straight Oil or the Blend you can switch to Synthetic. Switching back to Synthetic Blend for 5 to 10 thousand miles may fix it but some new engine with early starts using Synthetic always use oil.

    Once the first oil was removed at 900miles I have used nothing the Aprilia recommended Synthetic Blend. The first 5000 miles I used a little oil and was a concerned so I talked with an Aprilia Engineer and as he said, it would, it stopped. I have 17,000 miles on it now with no oil usage for the last 10,000 or better.

    In our Air Craft Turbines we use straight Synthetic from the start but there is only lubrication required, no rings to seat into a cylinder as with reciprocal engines and very little contamination.
    AZRIDER
    15 CAPONORD 1200 TRAVEL PACK
    03 CAPONORD ETV 1000 DUST GRAY
    04 CANDY BLACKCHERRY GL1800 ABS

  5. #1775
    apriliaforum expert Satanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    601
    Oil doesn't prevent piston ring wear. A lot of bike shops nowadays exclusively sell containers with "fully synthetic" printed on the labels.


  6. #1776
    apriliaforum Member azrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    SOUTHERN ARIZONA
    Posts
    155
    Thanks for the update pilgrim
    AZRIDER
    15 CAPONORD 1200 TRAVEL PACK
    03 CAPONORD ETV 1000 DUST GRAY
    04 CANDY BLACKCHERRY GL1800 ABS

  7. #1777
    apriliaforum Junkie w2ge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Voorhees, NJ
    Posts
    342
    Uh oh... an oil thread!?🤦*♂️


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Phil
    2016 Caponord RALLY
    2010 BMW R1200RT
    President- New Sweden BMW Riders

  8. #1778
    apriliaforum Junkie SudEst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by azrider View Post
    SudEst, This may be your problem. Aprilia recommends Synthetic Blend. Many vehicles will use oil with Synthetic as it does not allow the rings to wear in to seal properly. Generally after at least 10 t0 15 thousand miles on a new engine use of straight Oil or the Blend you can switch to Synthetic. Switching back to Synthetic Blend for 5 to 10 thousand miles may fix it but some new engine with early starts using Synthetic always use oil.

    Once the first oil was removed at 900miles I have used nothing the Aprilia recommended Synthetic Blend. The first 5000 miles I used a little oil and was a concerned so I talked with an Aprilia Engineer and as he said, it would, it stopped. I have 17,000 miles on it now with no oil usage for the last 10,000 or better.

    In our Air Craft Turbines we use straight Synthetic from the start but there is only lubrication required, no rings to seat into a cylinder as with reciprocal engines and very little contamination.
    Hmm, will keep an eye on it for now and discuss with the mechanic at the next service.

    Cheers


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #1779
    apriliaforum Junkie SudEst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    254
    After some extensive riding time to wash the bike down today. A bit of weeping around the clutch cover so I tightened up those bolts. They do loosen up quite a bit.

    I do love both the name and efficacy of this stuff. Insect splatter stands no chance



    Sadly it looks like I値l only get 8,000km out of the rear Bridgestone S21. It has been punished and I値l probably go back for another in the hope that that the rear to front ratio goes 2:1.

    I wonder who will be getting the new Pilot Road 5s?





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #1780
    apriliaforum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    156
    Bit late, but I exercised the Rally on the 1st of January in order to start the year off properly.


    Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

  11. #1781
    apriliaforum Member Malkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles, California via Lincoln, England.
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo J View Post
    You're related to Foggy?
    Foggy is from Lancashire.
    I'd rather play rugby and loose than play football and win.

  12. #1782
    apriliaforum Junkie w2ge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Voorhees, NJ
    Posts
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by SudEst View Post
    After some extensive riding time to wash the bike down today. A bit of weeping around the clutch cover so I tightened up those bolts. They do loosen up quite a bit.

    I do love both the name and efficacy of this stuff. Insect splatter stands no chance



    Sadly it looks like I値l only get 8,000km out of the rear Bridgestone S21. It has been punished and I値l probably go back for another in the hope that that the rear to front ratio goes 2:1.

    I wonder who will be getting the new Pilot Road 5s?





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Impressive! No chicken strips on those tires... and they look heat cycled, like a track day?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Phil
    2016 Caponord RALLY
    2010 BMW R1200RT
    President- New Sweden BMW Riders

  13. #1783
    apriliaforum Junkie SudEst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by w2ge View Post
    Impressive! No chicken strips on those tires... and they look heat cycled, like a track day?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    A track day, yes, and six days in Tasmania which was like six track days again almost


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #1784
    apriliaforum Member azrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    SOUTHERN ARIZONA
    Posts
    155
    Another lunch ride to Tombstone. 270 mile exercise of the Capo.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180111_133428956_BURST000_COVER.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	437.1 KB 
ID:	349415Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180111_124008098.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	338.0 KB 
ID:	349416Name:  IMG_1208A.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  157.9 KB
    AZRIDER
    15 CAPONORD 1200 TRAVEL PACK
    03 CAPONORD ETV 1000 DUST GRAY
    04 CANDY BLACKCHERRY GL1800 ABS

  15. #1785
    apriliaforum Junkie SudEst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    254

    What have you done to your Caponord today?

    Quote Originally Posted by azrider View Post
    SudEst, This may be your problem. Aprilia recommends Synthetic Blend. Many vehicles will use oil with Synthetic as it does not allow the rings to wear in to seal properly. Generally after at least 10 t0 15 thousand miles on a new engine use of straight Oil or the Blend you can switch to Synthetic. Switching back to Synthetic Blend for 5 to 10 thousand miles may fix it but some new engine with early starts using Synthetic always use oil.

    Once the first oil was removed at 900miles I have used nothing the Aprilia recommended Synthetic Blend. The first 5000 miles I used a little oil and was a concerned so I talked with an Aprilia Engineer and as he said, it would, it stopped. I have 17,000 miles on it now with no oil usage for the last 10,000 or better.

    In our Air Craft Turbines we use straight Synthetic from the start but there is only lubrication required, no rings to seat into a cylinder as with reciprocal engines and very little contamination.
    Ok I知 not a chemical engineer but hear me out on this one...

    Oil consumption stopped on my Caponord at 6,000km.

    Then started again at about 12,000km.

    Same oil since 1st service: Motul 7100 10w 60

    Let痴 ignore the actual mileage for a moment.

    Oil consumption stopped last winter.

    Started again in summer..

    Could the problem be just the wrong grade? (Since Aprilia specify 15w50)




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 119 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What have you done to your RSV4 today?
    By potere in forum 2010-2018 RSV4 - All Variants
    Replies: 8386
    Last Post: Today, 03:53 PM
  2. What have you done to your RSVR today?
    By steelman_2 in forum RSVR and RSVR Factory (2004-2009)
    Replies: 643
    Last Post: 04-16-2018, 03:18 AM
  3. What have you done to your Dorsoduro today.
    By mc18 in forum 2011-2012 Dorsoduro 1200
    Replies: 125
    Last Post: 06-23-2014, 02:44 PM
  4. Off topic posts from What have you done to your RSV4 today? thread
    By SubZero in forum 2010-2018 RSV4 - All Variants
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 06-27-2012, 10:47 PM
  5. quick action throttle fitted what have you done to yours today?
    By RSRITCHIE in forum RS125 Euro-archive
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-29-2007, 04:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •