Thread: Don't have to remove the oil drain plug on the cases if your changing the filter

Don't have to remove the oil drain plug on the cases if your changing the filter

I'm doing my oil & filter change as I've done over the last 11 years and just now realize that if one is opening up the filter housing, all the oil in the cases will drain from there without having to remove the drain plug that's right next to it. Right? Or am I missing something? In fact the oil filter housing is slightly lower than the drain plug.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oilfilter space.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	437.4 KB 
ID:	266068
    2003 Tuono: Leo Vince slip-on, Factory Pro Chip, custom mapped Power Commander III, HiFlo AFE air filter, '00 snorkle, Forged Alum-Marchesini Wheels, Ohlins Shock, GP Suspension internal Showas, EVO Fuel Pres Modifyer, 525-16/43 final drive (after I wore out the 520), TCM low rear sets, Scorpion Lithium Battery, Pirelli Angel GT's.

The housing is lower but the oil pathway is not. I get quite a bit of oil out of that drain plug. You have the good oil plug bolt, not the hex key so get some crush washers and do it proper, you are already there.
    06' Caponord

Quote Originally Posted by Matt fe2o3 View Post
    The housing is lower but the oil pathway is not. I get quite a bit of oil out of that drain plug. You have the good oil plug bolt, not the hex key so get some crush washers and do it proper, you are already there.

I had removed the drain plug and drained it before I removed the filter cover. The drain plug is a new addition this time around. But, now I know to continue doing using it in the future.

Thanks
    2003 Tuono: Leo Vince slip-on, Factory Pro Chip, custom mapped Power Commander III, HiFlo AFE air filter, '00 snorkle, Forged Alum-Marchesini Wheels, Ohlins Shock, GP Suspension internal Showas, EVO Fuel Pres Modifyer, 525-16/43 final drive (after I wore out the 520), TCM low rear sets, Scorpion Lithium Battery, Pirelli Angel GT's.

apriliaforum prov-nov Kennibear's Avatar
    The factory drain plug has a magnet on it and you definitely want to remove it every oil change just to check it for steel shards and trash as it is an indicator of serious trouble inside the motor. Some fine crud is not huge but large shavings or chunks are a flashing red light! Take it out carefully and check it every time!

KB

True that.