Thread: Scooter race report June, 2004

Scooter race report June, 2004

Fate

Got the bike put completely back together after the Vegas excursion and the bodywork repainted. Looks a little bland without graphics, but that should be taken care of soon.

The SMRI series round came down to my home track at Arroyo-Seco. This was an ideal situation for me still messing with the aftermath of the broken collarbone.

So, on June 5-6 I show up and see that there is an extremely light turnout. It has been a very tough season so far compared to 03. Bruce Krummel, the SMRI twin champ took a serious spill in the Unlimited race of the previous SMRI round and broadsided a tire wall and broke 6 ribs, punctured a lung and spleen, broke the collarbone, etc. So, he was out. Out of the 5 Aprilia Milles that run this circuit I was the only one to show. A Duc996 withdrew from the race. Lee Chapman on his TL-R did not show. It was going to be a blowout. It was 102 degrees in the shade and 140 surface temp.

Had some clutch issues, but took 1st and gained the lead in points. I could have used an easy race, and that is exactly what I got. But after the collarbone and an electrical problem causing me to lose first last time, I needed it. The next 2 months will be Albuquerque and Colorado for that series.

So, the following weekend the ASMA event kicks off at Arroyo-Seco (June12-13) and as I show up, I see a new RV and large race trailer on pit row with fancy overhang and outside air conditioner. What is this? An RC-51 with full Ohlins GP forks and a Ducati 999s with BST carbon wheels, full termi exhaust and god knows what kind of engine work.. Aftermarket stuff everywhere. Somebody came to take my lunch money.

I unload and go say hi. I shake hands and start talking to the guys. They immediately look at me and ask- where you out at Vegas a few weeks ago and broke your collarbone? Yes, that was me. They look at each other. Small world- I get to reclaim a little of the pride lost out there. I remembered the RC being on the grid with me on the Vegas race where I lost it. I was ahead then in the Ex GTO class. One of them is wearing a hat with the aprilia logo sewed on upside down… Damn Ducati guys.

I had some clutch issues in practice. I think I botched it putting it back together this week, the lever would travel too far and engage within the last ½ inch of lever travel. Bled the line several times to no avail. I don’t know if the final bolt and allen key on the shaft make a difference in the clutch engagement point, but I was having some issues. I will be bugging AF1 once again. I think Ed/Micah roll their eyes every time I call.

I drop the 750 race. Would have been front row. I take Clarkies/Les/JetCity’s advice and concentrate on the twins. Damn good thing- gigantic pileup into T1 red flags the race. One racer goes home with a broken collarbone. Another with a hole in his case cover. Another with a sliced eyeball from hitting the gravel and the visor opening up and getting smacked with more gravel in the eye.

I grid up for the Twins race and form a plan- cool engine/warm tires- clutch should be OK for the first few laps- build a lead.

The flag drops and I pull the holeshot. Try to put the hammer down, but I admit that recent crashing puts a little doubt in your system. A little more difficult to relax. I pull a lead and turn to see the 999s behind me, but steadily losing ground. The RC-51 and another Ducati are immediately behind him. My clutch is slipping, but manageable. I just cant ham fist it launching onto the higher gear straight. And I cannot downshift into one of the turns because the clutch would not catch until mid corner and want to tuck the bike.

#2,3,4,5 in the race get caught up battling with each other, and I look back again and again to see them switching positions and steadily losing ground. The RC overtakes the 999s and a 749s slips past also. The announcer later stated that it was a very fun race to watch for #2-6. I am sure it sounded good, too, with the twins roaring by. I maintain a comfortable lead and cross in first. The RC takes 2nd, Ducati 749s in third with the 999s in fourth. My closest points competitor took a 5th, so the lunch money bandits just helped me increase my points lead by quite a bit (I think about 20). I was very happy.

My collarbone felt pretty good this weekend. Lefts are the only spot I notice it. Almost healed. Next race is in another 3 weeks.
    I was really glad to run with the guys from Vegas. It was like kind of being able to right a wrong and help me mentally progress instead of wondering how the twins turnout might have been.
    #37 Expert CCS-SW/CCS-ASMA/SMRI
    2003 CCS-ASMA Southwest Thunder Twins #2
    2004 SMRI Supertwins Champion
    2004 CCS-ASMA Southwest Thunder Twins Champion
    2005 CCS-ASMA Southwest Thunder Twins Champion

AF1 Racing - Seacoast Sport Cycle
    Sidi - Vemar Helmets- Michelin - Motul - Lockhart Phillips/Team Privateer - Helmet Harbor - Arrow Exhaust

See if this link works. Pic of the bike during the race. Decals are coming, guys.

www.pbase.com/image/30121696
    #37 Expert CCS-SW/CCS-ASMA/SMRI
    2003 CCS-ASMA Southwest Thunder Twins #2
    2004 SMRI Supertwins Champion
    2004 CCS-ASMA Southwest Thunder Twins Champion
    2005 CCS-ASMA Southwest Thunder Twins Champion

AF1 Racing - Seacoast Sport Cycle
    Sidi - Vemar Helmets- Michelin - Motul - Lockhart Phillips/Team Privateer - Helmet Harbor - Arrow Exhaust

great job beating all the "have money, will race" guys. bike looks sharp!
    2004 CCS-FL Expert SuperTwins Champion
    2004 CCS-South Expert SuperTwins Champion

apriliaforum expert Jet City Racer's Avatar
    <One of them is wearing a hat with the aprilia logo sewed on upside down… Damn Ducati guys.>

They deserved to lose.

Great job Scooter!!!
    "Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

JET CITY RACING
    Faster than the speed of darkness!

www.facebook.com/jetcityracer

AFRP #1

Thanks to all my 2012 Sponsors for keeping the dream alive!

www.maximausa.com
    www.scorpionusa.com
    www.drippinwet.com
    www.rhinomoto.com
    www.spidergrips.com
    www.calcoastmotorsports.com

nice job...the bike looks great
    LRRS EX#149

Sabo (Feb 1, 1999 to July 13, 2007)
    A Loyal Friend & Companion

I had to save that pic in my race collection! , Bike looks stealthy w/o graphics. Congrats on the win. Really impressive considering the clutch issues.

01 RSV, Micron TI w/TI chip
    06 Triumph Sprint ST
    01 YZ 250

Congrats