Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scottoiler vacuum pipe on a Shiver?

apriliaforum prov-nov BlackMilk's Avatar

Scottoiler vacuum pipe on a Shiver?

Searched but have had no luck finding it and would rather know for sure where a suitable one is on a Shiver. Anybody know?

I have a Scottoiler that I swapped from my previous three bikes. It is vacuum operated and Scottoiler recommended that the electrically operated version is used and not the vacuum one. Since I already had the vacuum version and the electrical one is quite expensive, I didn't proceed and just use aerosol oil.
    However, it should be easy to tap in a vacuum line, so interested to hear how you get on.
    Frodo
    2015 Shiver
    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMilk View Post
    Searched but have had no luck finding it and would rather know for sure where a suitable one is on a Shiver. Anybody know?
    Do you (or did you) have an Evap Canister on your bike? There's your vacuum source.

UK version so thankfully don't have that system.

Well, the presence of the system gives us a clue as to the location of a vacuum source. When I removed my canister, I cut the vacuum line and stuck a small bolt in the open end:

You're looking at the rear cylinder on the left side of the bike. There isn't much of the vacuum line left. You can see the clamp where it attaches to the intake. Grab a flashlight and take a peek at that location on your bike. Maybe there's something there you can use.

Been using the Tutoro auto chain oiler on my Kawi KLR650 for the over a year. Price is a bit cheaper that the Scottoiler vacuum model, plus the tutoro requires no vacuum as it operates on bike movement. Have had no problems and keeps chain oiled and clean(except dusty dirt road riding-muck sticking to oil). Happy with it. Was thinking of putting one on the Shiv but, its not a daily driver so will put up with the occasional clean/lube on chain. The only negative is all the oiler's muck up the rear wheel a bit. Have never used the Scottoiler so have no direct comparison.

Thanks I hadnt heard of the Tutoro before I will look into it more as it seems the vac lines aren't going to be an option on my Shiver. After talking to a mechanic in the know in short he says its not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMilk View Post
    Thanks I hadnt heard of the Tutoro before I will look into it more as it seems the vac lines aren't going to be an option on my Shiver. After talking to a mechanic in the know in short he says its not possible.
    I think its a decent option. There may be 1 or2 on this forum who have them. If its a daily driver I would try it. Search the forum.
    http://www.tutorochainoiler.com/
    I was skeptical at first...puddles of oil on garage floor/oil all over bike/rear brake NOT working...ect-ect. These Have not been an issue so far. Good luck.

I use the electronic scott oiler on my Shiv and a Tuturo on the Bimota. Tried a vac operated scott oiler on the Shiver but it sucked the guts out of it on a fast ride, it was an older one I had from another bike.
    The Tutoro works well you just have to remember to turn it off when you stop.
    My current situation is not my final destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkyboz View Post
    I use the electronic scott oiler on my Shiv and a Tuturo on the Bimota. Tried a vac operated scott oiler on the Shiver but it sucked the guts out of it on a fast ride, it was an older one I had from another bike.
    The Tutoro works well you just have to remember to turn it off when you stop.
    Have had NO issues with the "TUT" leaving oil on floor and I have Never turned it Off when done riding. But , I am using the Single tube and not the double. Probably has do with settings/ oil wt./ and area temps. Not a salesman, so get what fits YOUR needs.

apriliaforum newb
    has anyone fitted a scottoiler vacuum type with any success

apriliaforum expert
    I have seen the vacuum type fitted to a Dorso, so it is possible. He tapped into the TB balance point IIRC.

I am a Scotoiler addict, and have one on all my bikes, but due to the space limitations on the Dorso I use a Tutoro manual, no need for vacuum feed.

Both have problems with some oil on rear tyre, but a regular wipe with white spirit keeps it manageable - never had a slide due to it!

Immense low maintenance chain/sprocket mileage is possible with an oiler, so any hassle they generate is well worth it IMHO. I have well over 30k miles on my GSX750 chain and sprockets, still going strong and I rarely look at it, let alone adjust.

Having just bought a new chain and sprockets, I'd like to resurrect this thread. I still have a vacuum operated Scottoiler that ran very well on my Pegaso and 1000DS Multistrada, but have not fitted to my Shiver as Scott recommend the expensive electrical operated system.
    Has anyone fitted a vacuum operated (V system) Scottoiler to their Shiver or DD?

Somebody fitted a 1000cc Caponord with a Scottoiler using cylinder balancing vacuum tubes: https://www.caporider.com/ScottOiler.shtml
    That post included the following photo:

Name:  SO_Vac_takeoff.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  23.6 KB

That post stated: "According to the hose routing diagram, there are two lines capped off under the fuel tank, just in front of the top frame crossover. Both are vacuum, one from each cylinder (they're used to sync the cylinders). "

I have two similar tubes on the left hand side of the motor near the base of the front cylinder. They appear to be drain pipes from the airbox. Indeed one had a little water in it. It is possible that they are connected to evap cannister on US bikes.

Name:  IMG_4089.JPG
Views: 40
Size:  214.3 KB

So my questions are:
    - What are these tubes?
    - If they are from the airbox, is there enough vacuum in the airbox to operate the Scottoiler?

Thanks
    Frodo
    2015 Shiver
    New Zealand

Well, I answered the second question: there is very little if any vacuum in these tubes and certainly not enough to operate the Scottoiler.

So does anyone know of a good vacuum take-off point?

Thanks
    Frodo
    2015 Shiver
    New Zealand

apriliaforum prov-nov
    The fuel vapour recovery can is attached to the tap / fitting on the rear cylinder head's intake port. If that's not being used for anything on yours, it could work? The vacuum signal itself is likely to be strong and oscillatory.

Another option would be to fab up your own vacuum line from somewhere with enough accumulation / damping effect to smooth out the pulses and work across a broader range of throttle openings / engine speeds.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast