Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Backfire through air box

I've had 3 map updates (according to the dealer) in 3 and a half years of owning a 2011 Dorso 1200; made no difference, I get the same backfiring/misfiring issue.

The last time they had the bike (FOR TWO MONTHS!) they gave it back saying they'd found the problem: - it was missing some O-rings between the manifold and the cylinder head. (wut?)

It *is* running better, it doesn't stall - as much. It still occasionally stalls and it still occasionally burps at traffic lights, quite often just as they go green and I'm alongside someone who's been yelling at me for lane splitting..

:-(

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Ok
    Some new info with this issue
    I changed whole throttle body with all sensors and throttles with it, new injectors etc. Old engine and old ECU - results ..? - no change at all !!!! ..problem was still there.
    After that i changed engine and ECU - working like a charm ! (probably with old software ver.)

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike06 View Post
    Hi, I also have backfiring into the airbox.

My bike has 2500kms now and the backfiring was there since it was brand new.
    It happens when I slightly accelerate from the iddle and the bike almost stalls.
    I took down the tank and airbox yesterday to check something and I found a little gas in the airbox around the entrance of the back cylinder admission pipe.
    The backfirings also broke in pieces the two brackets around the frame where we have to screw the bolts through the front of the tank...
    I think the valve clearance is bad but maybe it's another issue ?

Did it happens to someone else ?

PS : sorry for my bad english, I'm french and I try to remind me my school years but they are far away in my memory...
    Hey Mike. Your English is certainly better than most of our French. Thanks for making the effort.
    A lot of the backfiring is probably due to lean running in the 0 to 5000 rpm range. This was horrible with the initial map due to trying to get the bike through emissions testing, and only slightly improved on the subsequent version, which many of us have had installed. A Fatduc can take care of most of this usually. Mine came with this set up dialed in by the previous owner and it does not backfire. I believe he said that he settled on the mid setting of 13.5 after some playing. I would highly recommend this to anyone having trouble with low speed backfiring and general rough running at lower rpm. The Dorso 1200 can make a lot of low end torque and run very nice in this range, allowing you to run in a taller gear when cruising, which is much easier on the bike and helps out the fuel mileage tremendously.
    Spark plugs, air temp sensor and valve clearances can of course have an effect, but these are tough well made engines that usually do not require much that way unless the bike spends most of it's life at the redline. My guess is that almost all of the problems with low speed running and backfiring can be sorted out with emc tuning and a Fatduc...... T

Thanks for your answer but I have a DNA airfilter and a fatduc... I will certainly send my ECU to Gabro and I think it's the only solution ! But I have to wait my waranty ends...
    2016 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 RR Portimao grey

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabro View Post
    i already have a test bike running, and it looks to run fine till... just searching for new guinea pigs

PS i just had an idea, don't know if it works, but why don't try? remove the clutch micro-switch from the clutch master, use the tape to keep it always pushed, like it would be when the clutch lever is relased. go for a test ride and report

I must say that it feels like it reduces the backfire.
    Yesterday before I taped the clutch micro-switch then it died at a red light where I had passed a lots of cars. Not so much fun I must say.
    So I decieded to try the tape it on my way home and it did feel like it was less backfire. I got one small one. And on my way to work today it
    also felt like the backfire was reduced.
    Maybe Mike06 you can try to tape the clutch micro-switch also and see if you notice any differance.
    But it also feels like the idle i a bit higher, but compared to the backfire that is not an issue.

I will some day send you my other ECU to you Gabro. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Chriz75 View Post
    I must say that it feels like it reduces the backfire.
    Yesterday before I taped the clutch micro-switch then it died at a red light where I had passed a lots of cars. Not so much fun I must say.
    So I decieded to try the tape it on my way home and it did feel like it was less backfire. I got one small one. And on my way to work today it
    also felt like the backfire was reduced.
    Maybe Mike06 you can try to tape the clutch micro-switch also and see if you notice any differance.
    But it also feels like the idle i a bit higher, but compared to the backfire that is not an issue.

I will some day send you my other ECU to you Gabro. :-)
    I tried to tape the clutch micro-switch but no change for me...

Currently my bike has less backfires, more in winter or in cold weather. It seems to almost disappear when the wheater is getting hotter or when I drive it in the mountains (up to 2000m).
    More the air density is bigger, more there are backfires. So I think the Air Fuel Ratio around idle until 5000rpm is bad.

Gabro is our messiah !

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike06 View Post
    I tried to tape the clutch micro-switch but no change for me...

Currently my bike has less backfires, more in winter or in cold weather. It seems to almost disappear when the wheater is getting hotter or when I drive it in the mountains (up to 2000m).
    More the air density is bigger, more there are backfires. So I think the Air Fuel Ratio around idle until 5000rpm is bad.

Gabro is our messiah !
    Hi Mike. Maybe a dumb question, but have you tried adjusting the Fatduc a bit towards the leaner side and see if this helps? T

Quote Originally Posted by RATMOUL View Post
    Hi Mike. Maybe a dumb question, but have you tried adjusting the Fatduc a bit towards the leaner side and see if this helps? T
    I tried all adjustments with the fatduc, from full clockwise to full counter flockwise...
    Last edited by Mike06; 06-10-2016 at 01:33 AM.

apriliaforum newb
    Has anyone ever sorted this problem out with the backfiring through the airbox..? I was going through the forum and decided to post to this thread as it seems there is sufficient build-up of information that someone may have found the solution..? My 2012 Dorsoduro 1200 has been intermittently doing the same since new..? It now has 22,000kms on the clock. Ive had it at Aprilia and they have run their P.A.D.S Diagnostics a number of times and still nothing..?�� The Diag. seems to correct or adjust something and then will run ok for a little while before going back to its old habits again. What I have noticed is that it seems to have something to do with the idle sensor.. or information or telemetry going to the throttle position at idle? As soon as the bike comes to a stop and the idling sometimes tends to be off target and seems to hunt for the right setting. The revs drop and it runs too low. Then, what I can only think is that it over supplies fuel to fix the problem - only to try afterwards and correct the 'too much' fuel by cutting the motor (or one cylinder) and then realises that 'nobody told it to completely cut the motor', and it resumes ignition and that causes the excess fuel now entering into the injector to ignite prematurely.. which finds its exit via the air-box?��

It would be good to know if anyone has been able to beat this problem..

apriliaforum Member
    I am not having this problem and my 2011 DD1200 is running very sweetly with the later program, a Fatduc, DNA filtre and GPR pipes.
    It would seem that anyone having an ongoing problem with this might consider sending their ECU to Gabro for a custom reflash...... Tom

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hey guys. yet another DD owner with the same problem. just came across this thread and it is a slight comfort that I'm not the only one. But insanely frustrating that it is such a widely reported issue yet no one at Aprilia or polaris or whoever actually owns them care enough to fix the problem! what about AF1 racing guys? Haven't seen a single post about it from the people running the forum. Are you not allowed to comment on such issues due to contract reasons? Surely you have had customers bring their DD in for the same issue we are getting over quickly?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    do we have confirmation or proof that gabro's reflash works?

apriliaforum newb
    Generally, backfiring into the airbox is a sign of an overly lean mixture. The fuel in the cylinder is still burning when the intake valve opens and it fires off the new charge. Check for air leaks anywhere in the intake system. The problem gets worse in winter due to the fact that cold air is more dense making the lean condition worse.

Mad

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345