Thread: SM450R- Yea or nay?

SM450R- Yea or nay?

So I have a line on a 2004 SM450R that a local guy is willing to sell pretty cheap. He says it's been rock solid, no mechanical issues and I have no reason to doubt him. Thing is, I've been looking for a dual-sport to get a little bit more into riding fire roads and trails, but this isn't exactly the same thing. On the other hand, I already race XR100s, so getting this thing out on a supermoto track would be a blast. Anyway, does anyone here have any experience with these beasts?
    With great power to weight ratio comes great responsibility.

Thinking of going the DRZ400 route instead. Stop me before I do something sensible!

I see no reason not to say yea if the bike is clean and is fairly priced. I had one back in 2005 that I raced supermoto with for a season and it was solid. Since that time I've also had several Husky motocross bikes and they've all proven to be reliable.

Choosing between the DRZ and the SMR really depends on the kind of riding you have access to though... Either would be a good bike, for different purposes.

-Ruben

Quote Originally Posted by Archilla View Post
    I see no reason not to say yea if the bike is clean and is fairly priced. I had one back in 2005 that I raced supermoto with for a season and it was solid. Since that time I've also had several Husky motocross bikes and they've all proven to be reliable.

Choosing between the DRZ and the SMR really depends on the kind of riding you have access to though... Either would be a good bike, for different purposes.

-Ruben
    That's pretty much the reason I'm leaning towards the DRZ. I really want to get into some dirt riding and the SMR doesn't seem like the right platform for that. Maybe if I had another season of minibike racing under my belt, I'd tempted to go full sumo, but as it is our club has some really fast riders and I'd probably just get slaughtered out there. Still tempting...

Quote Originally Posted by roma258 View Post
    I really want to get into some dirt riding and the SMR doesn't seem like the right platform for that..
    Correct. If you want to mainly do dirt riding, you'd be better off with the DRZ for sure. You could set the SMR up for offroad, but it's more work than it is worth when good dirtbikes like the DRZ are so easy to find. If you do get tempted to go out to a local SM track to give it a try, you could always throw a set of Gripsters (or equivalent) on the DRZ and run a sportsman class.

-Ruben

apriliaforum Member
    the DRX is sort of like the small block chevy of the SM world, lots of hop up goodies for it, solid like a rock, pretty good dual purpose bike. the SM is strictly for street and track use. you could always get a set of 17's for the zuk to do both. myself i have a husky 450rr factory yard and a street 450 husky. but i can see the benefits for a young person to go the suzuki route, lots of happy camper's with the suzuki.