Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pirelli Angel GT

Pirelli Angel GT

I just put on a pair today and wondering if there's anyone else running them yet? So far feel great! Slow turn at speed, but that the nature of the Futura. Takes a set in turns nicely. Definitely less squirmy than PR3! I got about 4K miles on the standard compound Angles (about the same as PR3) and hoping for more milage!

Interesting to see, I have a rear GT waiting to mount but thats a way off now. It'll replace a PR3 with 9k miles and I don't think there are many left, but those are noob miles. The front PR3 is still in good shape so it will stay for a while. Let's hear how it goes as you add miles.
    01 Blue #84, adopted 11/12 with: HeliBars, foam grips, 05 map, Devil cans/stock silencer, derestricted, metal QD, dash socket, R/R mod. Me: Ford relay +10g & grd, Fuel pump rewire/filter, FPR, vac hoses. CBR coils/harness+ Magnecor, clutch switch bypass. S.S. front line, RaceTech Gold valves, tapered head bearings. Lots of LED lighting mods/running lights- signals/brake LED bulbs. Flashing brake light. All lights but Hi/park/brake on dash switch. Hi beam mod, vest plug, wiring block, blue dash SMD's/Red V meter, Tune IFT. Stripped/polished rims, ESA dk tint vented screen, KB etc/axle/petal disc. FH008 soldered DC plug/added grd, soldered AC. L/R turn indicators on dash. 8/2/13 smushed. 9/22/13 back. Rehab complete 8/10/14.

Been wanting to try the new GT myself, but I installed a set of Q3's this week on mine.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    Semper Fi!
    WERA # 145
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out http://www.trading-paint.com

I ran Angel ST tires on my Mille for over 30,000 miles. I got about 5k on each rear and about 10k on each front. I installed Angel GTs on my bike this spring and I am loving them too! So far I have just over 2,200 miles on them and they are still in great shape. Turn-in, grip and feel are all excellent in my experience.

Not an aprilia, but I just replaced PR3 on my RT with Angel GT, about 1000 miles so far with a lot of technical stuff. I like them a lot. Better than PR3 in fact, especially break-in, and so far they feel as nimble and planted as PR2/PP2TC combo I like so much.

If I can get same treadlife as PR2/PP2TC combo delivers, I'll be converted.

And I will not be running PR3 again.
    No Matter Where You Are, There You Go!

Motech, this is a moot point now but did you see an odd wear pattern on the chicken strip section of the PR3, like the sipes were wearing sort of feathered? The trailing lip of the sipes higher than the leading edge? Hard to describe and that probably doesn't do it well, but the only way I can. As though the trailing side was "pulled" up a bit? I know you ride with more even wear across tread than I do but seeing that pattern on mine surprised me. An aside: After having washed out the front (due to operator error) I'm already a bit leery of the PR3 in front, lottsa tread left but certainly showing a bit flatter center @ 9K. Personal preference I know but I'm already thinking I may as well start the re-learning to ride process on new front too which would more than likely be a GT also, to me matched tires make more sense given the less aggressive (but trying) riding I do. I can say though I'd gotten actual wear to within 1/2" of tread side on F/R. My God next spring seems like forever away.
    Have you had occasion for wet riding on the GT?
    01 Blue #84, adopted 11/12 with: HeliBars, foam grips, 05 map, Devil cans/stock silencer, derestricted, metal QD, dash socket, R/R mod. Me: Ford relay +10g & grd, Fuel pump rewire/filter, FPR, vac hoses. CBR coils/harness+ Magnecor, clutch switch bypass. S.S. front line, RaceTech Gold valves, tapered head bearings. Lots of LED lighting mods/running lights- signals/brake LED bulbs. Flashing brake light. All lights but Hi/park/brake on dash switch. Hi beam mod, vest plug, wiring block, blue dash SMD's/Red V meter, Tune IFT. Stripped/polished rims, ESA dk tint vented screen, KB etc/axle/petal disc. FH008 soldered DC plug/added grd, soldered AC. L/R turn indicators on dash. 8/2/13 smushed. 9/22/13 back. Rehab complete 8/10/14.

Quote Originally Posted by Argh Oh View Post
    Motech, this is a moot point now but did you see an odd wear pattern on the chicken strip section of the PR3, like the sipes were wearing sort of feathered? The trailing lip of the sipes higher than the leading edge? Hard to describe and that probably doesn't do it well, but the only way I can. As though the trailing side was "pulled" up a bit? I know you ride with more even wear across tread than I do but seeing that pattern on mine surprised me. An aside: After having washed out the front (due to operator error) I'm already a bit leery of the PR3 in front, lottsa tread left but certainly showing a bit flatter center @ 9K. Personal preference I know but I'm already thinking I may as well start the re-learning to ride process on new front too which would more than likely be a GT also, to me matched tires make more sense given the less aggressive (but trying) riding I do. I can say though I'd gotten actual wear to within 1/2" of tread side on F/R. My God next spring seems like forever away.
    What you've described about the tread wear is something that's happened to every motorcycle tire I've ever removed. Sometimes it's referred to as cupping. Modern tires are far less prone to this than even 5 or 7 years ago. I've had front tires that were so badly cupped with still lots of rubber left, they would audibly sing. They would also not roll smoothly so they were tossed long before they were used up.

Don't think there's a way to totally prevent this. Running low air pressures can make it worse.

Chicken strips - not important or a good indicator of skill for that matter, imo.

Thanks RAS, I used the C S term as more of a descriptor. I was just wondering, and I clearly have no idea if it actually affected anything. I have a friend that had the same happen with some Metz on a BMW 800 ST with only 3K but he's much more aggressive than I am so I was curious and he was pretty surprised/disappointed it happened so quickly. In any case, being so noob it's painfully obvious how much I don't know. I also understand I'm going to wear the center out first as I have no desire and certainly not the skill to pretend to be a racer and I actually use it occasionally for regular transportation, I just sort of gauge my learning curve (no pun) on the amount of contact. I'm content to use my Fut as a beautiful GT conveyance as opposed to a track bike, I have no illusions in that regard. That said I don't think I can complain about the RP3 and 9K from the rear, it seemed just fine, I bought the GT based on my riding and the reviews I've read. I will admit to some aggressive straight line play.

Quote Originally Posted by Argh Oh View Post
    I did notice more side-tread cupping on rear PR3 in fact, definitely more than I am used to with PR2 rear. I attributed this to the unusually high amount of freeway droning I did on this set, around 2K or so in a lot of triple-digit ambient temps. It did not alarm me, but it did disappoint me. So did the mileage--4K and rear center was shot--and the slickness when tread-life neared its end.

The front did not feather much at all by comparison, looked like it could go another 4K easy. Not on my bike though; I do not like mixing brands either, and was anxious to try the Pirellis.

Speaking of, now that the Angels have acclimated themselves to me, I do feel the front is a little tamer than I'd prefer. It turns in nice, neutral and steady and all, but almost too neutral, no falling in per se. Not bad at all, and better than most, just not as lively as PP or Z6.

If Pretty Wife continues to stay off pillion, I might go with S20 next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Motech View Post
    If Pretty Wife continues to stay off pillion, I might go with S20 next time.

It's a completely different animal, but my buddy is as happy as can be with the S20 we put on the front of his Duke. Unless a tire is really bad, he's usually got nothing much to say about tires. The 023 we put on the back of that bike got a " I haven't really noticed it". So that means it's just fine.

Have to wonder how long a sport tire like that would last on a heavier (almost 200 lbs heavier) bike like the Fut or your R.

Quote Originally Posted by RAS View Post
    Have to wonder how long a sport tire like that would last on a heavier (almost 200 lbs heavier) bike like the Fut or your R.
    016 and PP would see about 2K on my Fut, front went first on the Bridgestone.

Quote Originally Posted by Motech View Post
    016 and PP would see about 2K on my Fut, front went first on the Bridgestone.
    If Bridgestone's claims are true, the S20 will be a better. 2500k? It's suppose to heat up quicker and have better traction thru-out. It's the Perfect front tire for the Duke. On the back of that bike, the S20 would just evaporate.

Quote Originally Posted by RAS View Post
    If Bridgestone's claims are true, the S20 will be a better. 2500k? It's suppose to heat up quicker and have better traction thru-out. It's the Perfect front tire for the Duke. On the back of that bike, the S20 would just evaporate.
    A couple of my friends run S20, one a GSXR 750, the other an S1000RR. They both get around 2500 now, front too, consistently got 1800 fr, 2000 rear before. They also both say wet grip much better than 016.

apriliaforum expert Honeybadger's Avatar
    I went with the roadsmart 2 over the angel GT/PR3 on my FZ1. only a couple hundred miles, so I can't speak for them yet, but already the steering is SO much lighter than those dying diablos I had on it. Before it was like riding on bowling balls, and the RS2 feels like it might be my new favorite over the PR3 (which is just a heavy tire)
    2000 Mille R
    FZ1 handlebars, profiled fairing, new engine, CRG levers, titanium exhaust, bipost subframe, just about everything jury-rigged

01 FZ-1
    Highway pegs, old-man windscreen, anal-retentive maintenance, bar risers

'79 CX500
    Eurosport bars, removed plastic radiator shroud, cut fork springs, 65k miles with the original toolkit and brass screws used for the license plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Honeybadger View Post
    I went with the roadsmart 2 over the angel GT/PR3 on my FZ1. only a couple hundred miles, so I can't speak for them yet, but already the steering is SO much lighter than those dying diablos I had on it. Before it was like riding on bowling balls, and the RS2 feels like it might be my new favorite over the PR3 (which is just a heavy tire)
    I'd try to discourage Roadsmart on your Fut. They almost made me cry, the ONLY reason it had BT016s when you took it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast