Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coolant recall gone very bad - Newport Italian Responsible - won't admit - Warning

Coolant recall gone bad - Newport Italian Responsible - won't admit - Warning

WARNING!!!

I took my '12 RSV4 Factory to Newport Italian for install of a full race Ti Akra system with race ECU reflash, and some Aprilia Racing Rearsets.

The mechanic who worked on the bike, Niall, began by installing the exhaust. As I had ridden the bike down intending to spend part of the day in Newport, I witnessed the mechanic working on my bike numerous times. During the install of the exhaust I walked up to the garage area and witnessed Niall loosing his cool. He was banging the titanium exhaust with grease covered hands cursing at the bike. Later while he was doing the coolant manifold recall, I witnessed him loose his cool again cursing and banging against the bike. His anger was obviously an issue. As the day progressed, it was becoming increasingly clear that Niall wasn't going to complete the work by the end of the day. I was told at 5 pm after waiting in house all day, what was to take a day will now take two days. The next day at about 4pm I picked up the bike and rode it home. I prepped it for the track, loaded it into the truck, and headed to Buttonwillow. About 3 hours into my two day track weekend, I had an incident occur which made zero sense. Entering from pit lane for a sighting lap I had a sudden lowside. I wasn't braking, wasn't on the throttle, nor was I engaging in any aggressive maneuver. The rear wheel quickly lost traction and I hit the ground. I returned to the pit and began assessing the damage.

Upon removing the carbon fiber tank (bought from a member here) I discovered the following:

Crankcase breather Hose not attached with oil all around it:

Plastic bracket discovered sitting unmounted between the frame and the engine:

Oil draining to underside of the bike- the yellow rubber seal was wiped as it was dripping oil:

Screw driver marks where the mechanic had separated the air box:

The mechanic, Niall, clearly missed a few important steps in the process of putting the bike back together. The hose was never re-connected, slowly causing dripping overflow of oil down the side of the engine and interior of the frame until it had accumulated enough to begin dripping behind the swing arm and in front of the rear wheel.

I had a rear wheel low side crash on my RSV4 Factory riding out on a sighting lap. When I called the dealer they agreed after an hour of discussion to come pick up the bike. Three days later I went to discuss the liability aspects of their clear and obvious transgression in servicing the bike. The owner and the mechanic both denied any responsibility whatsoever and basically told me to take a hike! All mechanics make mistakes but denying responsibility shows not only bad ownership but little regard for safety. These images prove they didn't reassemble the bike properly.

I am a huge fan of Aprilia Motorcycles, but highly recommend not dealing with this dealership. There are great people that work there, but the mechanic Niall and shop owner Paul aren't willing to back their work nor take responsibility for it. Newport Italian is, in my opinion, not a safe and responsible dealer to trust.
    Last edited by lukeeye; 08-09-2013 at 03:30 AM.

apriliaforum newb
    We would like to formally respond to the accusations at hand in regards to a recent service customer. We would like to provide our side of the story and the facts that we have been working with through this situation.

The disgruntled customer at hand, brought his bike into our shop on a Thursday for modifications prior to a weekend of riding at the track (Button Willow). Upon arriving at our shop we discovered that his bike was also in need of a recall. The additional work of the recall which was agreed to be conducted required the bike to stay over night. Coming all the way from Santa Monica, we offered the customer a loaner bike to go home on. The following day (Friday) the service was completed, the customer thanked us, and then he rode the bike back to his home in Santa Monica, where he would be trailering the bike to Button Willow Raceway.

On Saturday, the following day, we received a call from the customer informing us that he had low sided at the track and the bike was damaged. The customer blamed the crash on a disconnected crankcase breather hose found after he disassembled the bike. Concerned for the well-being of the customer and his bike, we sent two techs in a truck to Button Willow to retrieve the damaged bike and assess the damage.

On Monday, the Technical Service Representative, the Marketing Fleet Manager, and the Technical Services Manager from the Piaggio (Aprilia) Technical Center came to our shop to inspect the damaged bike and determine the cause of the crash. Upon close inspection they unanimously concluded that the crankcase breather hose, even if left disconnected, could not have caused the condition described. Furthermore, there was no evidence of any oil traveling from the breather hose down the side of the engine. However, they did find that there was oil seepage from the oil pan gasket which had no relevance to the service provided by Newport Italian.

From the time the bike left our shop on Friday to the time that the bike was crashed, over 120 miles were put on the bike. Over 50 miles on the freeway ride home and over 60 miles done at the track. The customerís bike also passed a thorough technical inspection before entering the track.

At the time of the crash the customer says he was going about 65 M.P.H. into a turn shortly after entering the track for his third session of the day. With all the facts presented to us by Aprilia technical experts and through our own thorough inspection, we are not able to justify taking responsibility for this track incident. There are a variety of factors such as operator error, misjudgment, or tire issues that may well have been responsible for the crash.

We sent our technicians to Button Willow to pick up the bike, consulted outside Aprilia technical experts, and seriously considered all possible causes of this incident. We went through this effort because we have the full intention of taking full responsibility when at fault but based on the facts and the evidence available we were unable to reach that conclusion.

Sincerely
    The entire Team at Newport Italian

Newport Italian,

Can you address these facts:

1. Your mechanic Niall forgot to reconnect the crank case breather hose to the air box after disassembling the bike for a recall- which in turn can allow oil to freely overflow onto the engine.
    2. Your mechanic left a plastic harness/ bracket unattached and stuck between the frame and the engine.
    3. Your mechanic unnecessarily damaged parts of the motorcycle working in haste to finish a job which was incomplete in the end.
    4. Your mechanic has temper/ self control issues while servicing motorcycles which puts your customers at risk.
    5. Your sales associate miscalculated the time and expectations of his mechanic and the work being done.
    6. Your owner, Paul, spent time and energy focusing on how to avoid liability for the poor quality of work done, rather than making it right with a customer.

The photos don't lie. Just admit you fucked up. Learn from my experience, and give the next customer a safe and competent service.
    Last edited by lukeeye; 08-09-2013 at 03:32 AM.

The oil on those parts looks like its been there alot longer than 160 miles. Just sayin..
    2012.5 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC Race bike
    Maintained and Tuned by Dave @ motoitalia.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by dastrix View Post
    The oil on those parts looks like its been there alot longer than 160 miles. Just sayin..

SBRacing: Family Operated team out of Australia.
    Click the image and Like us on Facebook to show your support!!!

Geez lol....
    Last edited by caillinsb; 08-08-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lukeeye View Post
    This is taken out of context, and distorts completely the intentions behind it. I was referring to level of riding, the speed at which I was traveling, and the possibility of how much worse the consequences of dripping oil behind my wheel could have caused.
    Okay. i shall accept that. context cannot be conveyed through text easily.

for what its worth The last race meet my Clutch cover started spewing out oil no fault of anyone but my own.

Lost 300ml in a race.... 95% of it caught in my belly pan, and didn't end up on the wheel. and still consistently running 62's long track.

If you are riding track try not to focus on the What if's, thats a sure way to remove the enjoyment out of it

hmmm, yep a true flat rater... did ALL the gravy then hurryed thru the 'warranty' work...hehehehehe

still here?? lol
    rulz, we donn neeeed no steeenkin rulz....

inside rulz!!

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    Southern California between Los Angeles and OC
    Quote Originally Posted by lukeeye View Post
    First of, why are all the comments gone?!
    I blocked all the comments posted before Newport responded with their side of the story.

As with any dispute, both parties should have a chance to tell their story before judgment is handed down.

Obviously this is not a formal court proceeding, but most who posted were quick to judge without at least hearing both sides.
    That's just not right, especially when everyone judging Newport is hiding behind a fictitious name. Newport can’t hide.

I know the mechanic at Newport, but we are not best friends and I am in no way taking his or anyone else's side here.
    Last edited by amauri; 08-08-2013 at 09:42 PM.
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

apriliaforum newb
    Not to be an a-hole, but if I owned that shop and you told me you crashed on the track,,,,,,,,,,,,,, end of discussion.. Sorry....There are just too many variables for a business to take the blame for that, especially after the bike seemed to be working fine for quite some time before the crash..

Oh dear!
    2010 RSV4R track bike
    -----------------------
    K+N Race Filter | Racers Edge Fairings | Apex riser adjustable clipons | AR GP2 Slip-On | Bazzaz Z-Fi TC QS | ASV Shorty Levers| Puig Wind Screen | TechSpec Tank Grips | Gilles Tooling Gear Shifter Support | GB Racing Clutch and engine Covers | Woodcraft rearsets | Starlane DaVinci S Dash | STM Flyhammer Switchgear |

The engine breather is not the hardest thing to forget when re-installing the lower part of the airbox, the airbox is such an awkward part to refit especially with all the variable inlets etc that the breather could be easily missed, saying that there is no excuse really.

I also feel that the breather would not chuck out anywhere near enough oil to cause an accident, after all it doesn't fill the airbox with oil in normal operation unless you have a knackered engine

Quote Originally Posted by mikef4uk View Post
    I also feel that the breather would not chuck out anywhere near enough oil to cause an accident...
    Yes, but after 130 miles, at track speeds over 140 mph, in 103 degree temperatures, and with a bit too much oil in the engine, over a period of 2-3 hours, it could create seepage- seepage that slowly makes it's way towards gravity's pull. We traced the oil from the breather hose to the underside of the bike.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by mikef4uk View Post

I also feel that the breather would not chuck out anywhere near enough oil to cause an accident, after all it doesn't fill the airbox with oil in normal operation unless you have a knackered engine
    Well...if the seal is broke in the alternator cover, it will soak the airbox badly.
    Mine has done it 2-3 times now, and I allways have extra seals in my toolbox.

If the breather hose is not connected, it will be very visiable...oil all over the right side and smell like burned oil.

For the same reason, I have moved my breather hose through a oil-catch-thingy....don't want oil in my airbox, and I want to know when I have a problem.
    R7 (ex RSV4F aPRC) on track, Shiver GT on road.

Quote Originally Posted by aarfeldt View Post
    Well...if the seal is broke in the alternator cover, it will soak the airbox badly.
    Mine has done it 2-3 times now, and I allways have extra seals in my toolbox.

If the breather hose is not connected, it will be very visiable...oil all over the right side and smell like burned oil.

For the same reason, I have moved my breather hose through a oil-catch-thingy....don't want oil in my airbox, and I want to know when I have a problem.

Its not the seal its the Diameter of the hose, creates a venturi effect drawing the oil up, Replace with a larger diameter hose and no more oil

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast