Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tank fuel pump hoses - Regular maintenance item !

I found this kit at a BMW aftermarket shop called BEEMER Boneyard thanks to suggestions from this forum.
    http://www.beemerboneyard.com/subhosekit.html
    2003 Tuono: Leo Vince slip-on, Factory Pro Chip, custom mapped Power Commander III, HiFlo AFE air filter, '00 snorkle, Forged Alum-Marchesini Wheels, Ohlins Shock, GP Suspension internal Showas, EVO Fuel Pres Modifyer, 525-16/43 final drive (after I wore out the 520), TCM low rear sets, Scorpion Lithium Battery, Pirelli Angel GT's.

TRexRacing...great to see you still doing what you do too my friend, sorry to read about your engine while I was catching up on the goss. But you got a great run outta her Going to PM's from here mate.(after a coffee & food

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......

OK, back to this fix, ........... this is exactly what I was trying to get across to the younger next generations of motorcycle people.............

Go to the second picture, you will focus on the coils of braid & what looks like race wired clamping on the two coils of braided hose. No biggy right ! .......... Yeah, but it sets the stage for you to take a step back & stop focusing on the tube.
    Look down in this photo to what I now have to assume is a race wired filter to fuel pump POWER plug & logic tells me that wire is already under spring like tension as we look at that photo. Those of you that know will also understand that chances are the red wire is a serious game changer for this once you get vibration involved.

How long do you think it will take for that "possible" race wire to cut though the plastic & contact the metal terminal inside. You now have a fuse wire instead with power coming in one end(fuel pump) & at the other a NOW earthed metal filter because of the braided hose directly in contact with the base plate & filter by the look of it, those of you that work on bikes will remember the earth wire on the outside of the base plates.

Taking this to it's worst case ! ...........Anyone here seen a fuse wire over load in front of you ;(.........you now have a red hot wire inside a fuel tank at some point who knows when, or at what speed of travel the bike is doing at the time, because you can't bl&&dy see in there to check things regularly

End of my input now,............Those of you that understand & live this life for real need to be loud on this thread so others learn to see all possibilities
    We old farts(speaking 4 myself anyway) can make a difference with our experience, use it to help other younger motor-heads coming up through the ranks when ever you get the chance.

All the best all, things to do here

Well, you have come up with completely different problems that you did not mention at all in your first post. I have to agree that the safety wire going around the filter and connector looks suspect and if the wiring is near enough to contact the braid then it is a problem. Otherwise I think the job of covering the hose looks reasonable.

And dissimilar metal worries? Does that ever include stainless steel?
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kzmille View Post
    There are reputable companies that make kits that do essentially the same thing as seen on the Ducati forum. You all may get a kick out of mocking it but if you look at the pictures I think anyone would have to agree that what was done was sound and well implemented. Would I do the same? I think I would have tried to find some purpose made SS covered fuel line but what I see in those pictures looks better to me than what was offered by aprilia to fix a serious design and manufacturing flaw.
    Jokes aside, I agree, the entire setup is a bit morphodite (it's also clear that the cloth braided short hose Aprilia originally chose was incorrect for the application). I also agree that reinforcing the hose by some means seems entirely reasonable. On the other hand, hoses blowing off, and clamps repeatedly cutting though the rubber seems highly unlikely unless the installer is doing something wrong. I have a piece of short hose (the updated version from Aprilia) removed after 5 years, the hose was still tight, and only minor indentations from the oetiker clamps, no cuts or damage of any sort. The plastic accordion hose was also perfectly serviceable.

I suppose it just seems an unnecessary introduction of variables--assuming correct installation, the hoses will degrade at the same rate regardless of the braid, and you avoid rolling the dice with safety wire and whatever the Chinese/Home Depot terms "stainless". Might as well service the whole system at regular intervals along with the filter, and keep the tank empty when the bike isn't in use.

apriliaforum expert
    The corrugated hose from the boneyard is in my Falco. For the short hose I used to Cohline 2190. Can be found everywhere. I installed them in 2014 and haven't had any issues.

apriliaforum expert
    Aaaaand full circled. Now they're talking about using RSV replacement hoses.

KZ ........are you blaming me for your poor eye sight ?
    I think you missed my point & I know you can answer your own questions.

.................................................. ..........

Guess I'm not explaining myself clearly enough..........so braided coils to filter mounting point, braid touching METAL filter, short braided hose below filter clamped to base plate which is earthed by a wire from the loom on the outside of the plate, on the bikes I've changed filters in at least ....braid is also clearly touching the base plate.
    Humans are creatures of habit so very good chance the short braided hose is also in contact with the metal filter where it clamps out of sight on the bottom,.....This means the wire & the filter are already earthed all the way back to the negitive terminal on the battery by the wiring loom right NOW. Or at least as soon at it is installed
    All that wire has to do is vibrate/cut through 2mm of power plug plastic casing to touch a metal power in terminal & the power will take the easiest out down the wire to earth, in doing so it will get "very" hot.

Piece of race wire held in pliers between the terminals of a battery will show you what happens...........not your bl%%dy fingers please, unless you want a brand.

PS......maybe if anyone is a member of the other forum they could link them across, if like myself you think this is important enough We are all motorcyclists no matter what 2 wheeled machine we ride !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wrongway4.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	331248  

Attached Images Attached Images  

If you're too cheap to spend $30 on a foot of 30R10 fuel line find another hobby or pay someone else to work on the damn thing. But don't forget to spend $1200 US on that exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by Scary View Post
    KZ ........are you blaming me for your poor eye sight ?
    I think you missed my point & I know you can answer your own questions.
    I guess you didn't read what I posted. I agreed with you on many points you made.

Go drill out some banjo bolts and you will feel much better.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU

Quote Originally Posted by kzmille View Post
    Well, you have come up with completely different problems that you did not mention at all in your first post. I have to agree that the safety wire going around the filter and connector looks suspect and if the wiring is near enough to contact the braid then it is a problem. Otherwise I think the job of covering the hose looks reasonable.

And dissimilar metal worries? Does that ever include stainless steel?

........ the wire doesn't have to touch the braid to be a problem.

Edit/ps....Wow you're a bit slow to bite this morning KZ , I thought you would have pointed out the word "wiring" by the end of my breakie, & yes I got that but thought I'd make sure I was clear

"Do unto others as they do unto you "
    Last edited by Scary; 04-21-2017 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TRexRacing View Post
    If you're too cheap to spend $30 on a foot of 30R10 fuel line find another hobby or pay someone else to work on the damn thing. But don't forget to spend $1200 US on that exhaust.
    2003 Tuono: Leo Vince slip-on, Factory Pro Chip, custom mapped Power Commander III, HiFlo AFE air filter, '00 snorkle, Forged Alum-Marchesini Wheels, Ohlins Shock, GP Suspension internal Showas, EVO Fuel Pres Modifyer, 525-16/43 final drive (after I wore out the 520), TCM low rear sets, Scorpion Lithium Battery, Pirelli Angel GT's.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by TRexRacing View Post
    he used r10 hose. in fact he used double the amount required. r10 hose seems to degrade faster than non submersed normal fuel hose.

That your experience? Not mine.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Great information, just took mine out and it had recently been done ��, gates fuel hose, new o ring and filter, loctite 518 and Aba clamps as not one single hydraulics store in Germany had them.....and I even thought the name was german. Started it up and the qr hose that someone had fitted started to leak, new one coming today, takes 2 days to make up 1 hose...bloody lazy germans!!

apriliaforum newb
    G'day, Australian 2002 Tuono RSV-R Limited #214 here. The bike started running very badly, flat spots, hiccuping, almost un-rideable. Turns out my short hose was cracked internally, replaced that and the filter - now runs perfectly.

Thank you MCL! Nice work.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345