Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Just bought new 2009 sportcity 250

apriliaforum expert
    With the Puig screen it should divert air over the shoulders of even a 6' 2" to 6' 4" rider. You also need to full faced helmet with the shield down and be sure to have the Puig set to divert the air and not be too verticle a half or open face helmet especially if it has a bill or visor will catch too much wind. With the 130/90-15 in the back I see 80+ regularly on level interstates and have in a moment of inattentiveness while keeping up with the insane traffic that we have around here buried it for an actual of 95 mph on the GPS.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by GREY.HOUND View Post
    I've been up to Bass lake a handful of times. Usually I take Friant Road to North Fork Road, or Hwy 41 to North Fork road. As for speed, are doing 75 by GPS or indicated on the speedo? I know since I put Michellin City Grip on the rear, in order to do a GPS 65mph, my speedo needs to read 75mph. After that speed, I don't have much left; though like you said, it can do that speed all day long.

As for your tires, no advice; my front had crack in it so I replaced it at the same time as the rear. While I like the tires, I do get the impression that the smaller than stock rear tire is causing a slight top speed loss.
    I reach 90mph on the speedo, easy, with more to reach, but again am only 140 lbs.

the best way to gain speed, longevity on tires and brakes. lose weight. no offense, most american are overweight. not only will you bike thank you but your health too.... so lose some weight, best modification to gain performance on you bike, saves money in health care in the future, and you bike tires will last longer.
    Last edited by mreric; 07-25-2014 at 04:50 PM.

apriliaforum Member
    While I don't take offense at the weight statement, it is quite bold, albeit a truism. As for speed, I don't know if I have ever tried to max it out. 70mph (gps verified) is plenty fast for me. If I get to the point where I regularly travel at high speeds for long distances I'll add another bike. I know what the SC is capable of but I feel there are better bikes designed for that type of travel. We have two cars for example, my Mazda 3 and my wife's Nissan Murano. Both can do a 600 mile round trip, but one is much better, IMO.

And Fresno, for your type of traveling, I'd suggest not going the city grip on the rear. I think klaviator (a member here and ADV) is using a Dunlop cruiser tire. Probably a better choice.
    2016 Ducati Sixty2
    2016 Piaggio BV350

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by GREY.HOUND View Post
    While I don't take offense at the weight statement, it is quite bold, albeit a truism. As for speed, I don't know if I have ever tried to max it out. 70mph (gps verified) is plenty fast for me. If I get to the point where I regularly travel at high speeds for long distances I'll add another bike. I know what the SC is capable of but I feel there are better bikes designed for that type of travel. We have two cars for example, my Mazda 3 and my wife's Nissan Murano. Both can do a 600 mile round trip, but one is much better, IMO.

And Fresno, for your type of traveling, I'd suggest not going the city grip on the rear. I think klaviator (a member here and ADV) is using a Dunlop cruiser tire. Probably a better choice.
    me too i dont past 70 mph most of the time, 250cc i very popular around the world for the same reason, most poeple dont need more then that. but america is a different story, most people here want more even when they dont needed it and cant use it

apriliaforum expert
    I use mine as my ride back after dropping off the motorhome on a campsite for the family. Sometimes that means carting my 250 lbs for 5 hours down the interstate at 80 mph. Glad the Sport City 250 is versatile enough to take on the task. Biggest things are to properly inflate the tires, use a good synthetic motorcyle oil and gear lube along with regularly cleaning the filter on the CVT so its gets as much cooling airflow as possible.

apriliaforum Member
    Hey all,

Spent the day up north cruising off road a bit in the sport city. Roads were dirt and a little bit rough for a city bike. Ride went perfect and I probably put about 300 miles on for the day.

2 Days later the engine starts to stall while cruising down the city streets. I went to cycle gear and had the battery tested and it tested a little low but fine overall. I asked the dealer to check the fuel pump when I bought it, they said it was replaced, but I'll need to call Aprilia and double check.

I took off the Kill switch part and disconnected the 3 wires, but I don't see any obvious damage. I assume I knocked a wire loose somewhere on the bumpy dirt roads.

It has been a year and its about time to strip the bike down and check the wires anyways. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20140710_15_47_40_Pro.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	516.3 KB 
ID:	257694Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20140710_016.jpg 
Size:	515.2 KB 
ID:	257695Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20140710_018.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	529.2 KB 
ID:	257696Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20140710_021.jpg 
Size:	527.2 KB 
ID:	257697

I'll drive the bike down to the gas station and it'll stall while riding down the road. I press the brake lever and start it back up while rolling and ride home.

I'll call about the pump, going to try and have a mechanic take a look at the electrical wires.

apriliaforum expert
    Check the cap on the spark plug wire and ensure it has not loosened up. Mine needed about 2 1/2 turns to snug it up the last time I checked it which was at the 12,500 mile service. Closing in on 25,000 miles now and have all the parts on hand to do it.

apriliaforum Member
    Very nice pics, wish we have nice rides like that up this way.
    Good luck, hope you find whats wrong with it and get it fixed soon.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by lmt6600 View Post
    Very nice pics, wish we have nice rides like that up this way.
    Good luck, hope you find whats wrong with it and get it fixed soon.
    There are the Chicago Botanical Gardens:

And I hear a ride around Starved Rock State Park, Waterfall Glen Forest Preserve and several other State Park/Nature Preserves around Chicago are very nice.

Also check out Motorcycle Roads which has a good number of routes for a weekend ride posted around Chicago:
    http://www.motorcycleroads.com/Routes/Illinois_89.html

apriliaforum Member
    I agree with the spark plug. I had the same issue last summer after some off road riding up above Huntington lake. I came to a stop sign and the bike stalled, we stopped for lunch and I could hardly get out of the parking lot; kept stalling. Got home, pulled the plug, cleaned it, re installed and no issues since.

Nice ride btw, where was that?
    2016 Ducati Sixty2
    2016 Piaggio BV350

apriliaforum Member
    Took a ride to Oakhurst, then south to Shaver Lake. From there I followed one of the many dirt roads that lead off the main road. At the end of the dirt road, it linked up with hwy 168 which led me back to Fresno.

Going to see about Big Basin, ca this week. I haven't tried camping yet, I don't know if my old bones can handle sleeping on the ground.

A 250cc dirt bike would be ideal. Something for trail riding.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresno View Post
    Took a ride to Oakhurst, then south to Shaver Lake. From there I followed one of the many dirt roads that lead off the main road. At the end of the dirt road, it linked up with hwy 168 which led me back to Fresno.

Going to see about Big Basin, ca this week. I haven't tried camping yet, I don't know if my old bones can handle sleeping on the ground.

A 250cc dirt bike would be ideal. Something for trail riding.
    Sport City 250 is a little stiffly sprung to deal with washboard dirt roads and not quite an adventure bike that's for sure. Those are the tradeoffs when they make a 326 lb bike capable of carrying 465 lbs. Under inflate the tires to soften things up and you will get head shake inducing tread wear on the front tire.

apriliaforum Member
    I'm down here in san Diego at the moment, I cruised down here some 300 miles. The bike is still stalling, but only just after starting the bike and leaving the parking lot..after it warms up, seems to be ok. I think its a loose exhaust sensor. Is that something I can do myself?

ducati of san Diego says they can take a look at it later today.

I checked spark plug, its fine. I hit the speed limiter on the freeway coming down to san Diego. Battery checked good.
    it has trouble holding a idle while cold, so a sensor, like oxygen sensor or throttle something. Don't know.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresno View Post
    I'm down here in san Diego at the moment, I cruised down here some 300 miles. The bike is still stalling, but only just after starting the bike and leaving the parking lot..after it warms up, seems to be ok. I think its a loose exhaust sensor. Is that something I can do myself?

ducati of san Diego says they can take a look at it later today.

I checked spark plug, its fine. I hit the speed limiter on the freeway coming down to san Diego. Battery checked good.
    it has trouble holding a idle while cold, so a sensor, like oxygen sensor or throttle something. Don't know.
    i say make sure the fuel pump was replaced with the correct one.

apriliaforum Member
    Hello everyone,

I was riding to work early one morning and the idle was rough. I pulled the dipstick and my oil was low to the bottom fill line. I was 5,500 miles towards my oil change. I check my oil
    every 3,000 miles. My bike uses oil over time. I put in oil at work and rode home.

Oil change time, I have an issue where I pull the filter off and barely any oil comes out and the dipstick reads a full tank of oil. I assume sludge is built up and blocking flow.

I put the oil filter back on and ran the engine for a minute , removed filter and more oil came out but mostly only the oil that was injected in the filter.

I assume this means I'm going to have to pass a few quarts of fresh oil through the system to free up the sludge. Also, I have been having issues with oil changes at 6,200 miles. So I will change at 5,000 miles from now on. Better safe then sorry.

Bike now has 19,000 trouble free miles. I replaced the belt at 17,500 miles which is 501 miles short of the AF1 record of 18k miles. I chickened out of breaking the record. I had my belt switched out at Ducati of Santa Barbara. He brought out the belt and bent the belt and showed where micro cracks were just beginning to show between the teeth. He assumed the belt was 95% new. He noticed that the belt had perma formed in a rectangle shape. This is due to chronic shape of sitting in a container for years before I stumbled across the bike in 2012 or so.

I notice some stutter when starting from a stop. I notice stutter when trying to cruise at 5-10 miles an hour. The rest of the band is smooth as butter. Though speed of 1-7 miles an hour , there is a stutter. Anyone know?

Otherwise smooth sailing.

Oil change is done. I forgot the drain bolt ...oil changes are so rare I forget the details.

I went to Ducati and asked how much to tune my valves and was told it was 550 to tune the valves , stating that they had to tilt the engine and essentially remove the engine to do the job. I called my local Honda dealer who did the job for 114.00

I've watched forum members do their valves and I know the Ducati shop was trying to buy a new car on my paycheck. Its too bad when that happens.
    Last edited by Fresno; 03-18-2016 at 10:00 PM.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast