Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Just bought new 2009 sportcity 250

apriliaforum Member
    Yeah , we'll then let's trade bikes lol.

Hey I was reading that sportcity upgrades thread. He spoke about the common headshake thing above 50mph. I'm gonna monkey with it later.

I was a bit confused by the rear shocks, I wanted to lossen the rear shocks to give a softer ride and from what I can tell. I was only able to twist it one notch. The seat ride is comfy now but no further adjustment seems possible.

They sell small sheets of steel or aluminum at the hardware store. Been thinking of making 2 small front tire spoilers that use air to shove the front tire onto the road. I imagine it would bolt onto the front axle and help plant the front. Hopefully make my commute less epileptic ....

I also notice how annoyingly the bike gets pushed around by the air-wake of the vehicle in front of me. Semis of course being the most noticeable. I keep a fair distance to cancel that out.

Hey, what performance difference would that fatduc performance chip have on the bike? Would be nice to have more pull for passing slowboats on the freeway.

apriliaforum expert
    I wouldn't trade my bike for anything unless maybe you had a new BV350 you were willing to part with.

That common comment was not something that is that common unless you have the bike terribly out of balance with the rear set way to low. The rear shocks should be set at the middle to next highest setting for someone your weight. The lowest setting is for a 125 lb teenager or a petite woman. Even if we traded bikes if you set the rear shocks on mine to the lowest setting you would probably start having the same problem.

Fatduc would be for an off the line performance increase and not highway.

meta4
    I think I'd take the Puig screen off and try to get the head shake/shimmy figured out, then re-install the screen. The Puig screen has a complex shape and could easily push the front end around if mounted crooked - which is easy to do in my experience. I've got the "Aprilia" branded top case but have not installed the bar-end weights as I haven't experienced any noticeable head shake, just the usual shimmy on funny pavements.

WRT the rear tire pressure: I thought the manual listed 33 PSI for two-up riding, 29 PSI for one-up. Fully geared up I'm around 195 lbs with the rear shock notches one up from the lowest setting. I found 33 PSI in the rear tire was too harsh a ride and lowered it to 30 PSI which feels pretty good. Front is at 30 PSI as well. I haven't gotten around to measuring the shock pre-loads; probably should to get things dialled in.

@Rockynv: Curious about those "silent blocks" - where are those on the bike?

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by meta4 View Post
    I think I'd take the Puig screen off and try to get the head shake/shimmy figured out, then re-install the screen. The Puig screen has a complex shape and could easily push the front end around if mounted crooked - which is easy to do in my experience. I've got the "Aprilia" branded top case but have not installed the bar-end weights as I haven't experienced any noticeable head shake, just the usual shimmy on funny pavements.

WRT the rear tire pressure: I thought the manual listed 33 PSI for two-up riding, 29 PSI for one-up. Fully geared up I'm around 195 lbs with the rear shock notches one up from the lowest setting. I found 33 PSI in the rear tire was too harsh a ride and lowered it to 30 PSI which feels pretty good. Front is at 30 PSI as well. I haven't gotten around to measuring the shock pre-loads; probably should to get things dialled in.

@Rockynv: Curious about those "silent blocks" - where are those on the bike?
    They are the rubber isolation bushings the the engine as swingarm is isolated from the frame by and pivots on.

Check out item #4 on page 65 of the Engine Parts manual:
    http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...dCategory=1959

They do wear out and are about $4 each:
    http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...dProduct=17749

meta4
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockynv View Post
    They are the rubber isolation bushings the the engine as swingarm is isolated from the frame by and pivots on...
    Thanks; I think I remember a thread about attempts to stiffen these bushings using something like Shoe Goo...

apriliaforum expert
    Yes they are mentioned there. More likely the problem if not low tire pressure/feathering wear will be from bottoming out with the rear preload set to week/low, damage to the front geometry from potholes, bumping the vehicle in front of you, a curb or garage wall or maybe a loose steering head bearing adjustment and maybe from a poorly installed windshield. It is possible that some bikes had defective silent blocks when delivered however mine have not worn out to the point of becoming troublesome in 17,000 miles of pretty aggressive riding carrying my 245/255 lbs around and doubling for my van picking up mulch, topsoil, building materials and various pieces of equipment such as a Rug Doctor Machine and Well Pump from Home Depot.
    Last edited by Rockynv; 08-29-2013 at 04:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fresno View Post
    Hey guys. Is there a cruise control option for this bike? I bought a universal cruise control thing from cycle gear. Yet I don't think I'll be able to use it. It looks like the throttle grip goes into the housing. Nep brand universal. I may have to settle for that cramp buster.

Im terrible at maintaining a constant speed.
    Yeah any universal cruise controller is pretty easy to use thouhg. Even if it goes into the housing, you should figure it out.
    If you need cheap jacket and gear, not the top end stuff, I got all my starting gear at www.motorcyclehouse.com

apriliaforum expert
    Not bad but gear for Southern riding that does not have a lot of black starts at $169.95:
    http://www.motorcyclehouse.com/men-m...-9754-prd1.htm

Leather Up has similar for $69.95:
    http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Armo...ket/53267.html

apriliaforum Member
    Hey rocky, you were right about the suspension. I tightened the suspension up and the weave went away. I found a thread here of a guy who had exactly what i had. After the adjustment,night and day difference.

Everything seems to be running perfect at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockynv View Post
    Not bad but gear for Southern riding that does not have a lot of black starts at $169.95:
    http://www.motorcyclehouse.com/men-m...-9754-prd1.htm

Leather Up has similar for $69.95:
    http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Armo...ket/53267.html
    Hmmm looks like you're right. I dont like how the price discrepancy is that big. I only bought 1 jacket from motorcycle house, and it was during a 25% off period so I'm pretty sure it came out cheaper.
    i guess some companies don't know how to keep their prices competitive right? :p

apriliaforum Member
    Hello fellow apes...

My SC 250 has 4800 miles on it now.

A while back the dashboard started shaking down the freeway. Has anyone else experienced this? I stopped by the dealer and he said it could be the 2 forward screws underneath the dash. 1 of the screws is missing and the other one he thought is loose, but I can't seem to tighten or make a difference on the dash shake with this screw.

Also, I pulled the oil dipstick and the stick measures the oil at the minimum level. The maintenance book says to keep it at max level. The book mentions to top up but doesn't give info other than consult a dealer or obtain a separate manual which I don't have on hand.

Do I just give the bike an oil change? or top up? 95% of my riding is freeway.

I tried to upload pics with this website but I keep getting error messages. I hope these pic links work.

apriliaforum expert
    The owners manual says to check it at 3,000 miles and top it off at that time if found low the same as any other small or large engine.

Go by the book its all in the owners manual telling you when to check the oil levels via the maintenance charts along with what oil to use.

Now if you skipped the 600 mile break-in/run-in oil and filter change then thats another problem and yes you should change the oil immediately as you would be 4,200 miles overdue.

Shaking could be due to an underinflated front tire getting feathered wear from during hard braking. Usually upping the front tire pressure to 31 or 32 PSI will minimize this however you will need to replace any missing screws that rattled out from the shaking as it will most likely continue to buzz or rattle with only one screw. You do need to check for screws working loose on a regular basis on a motorbike especially if you ride a lot of rough roads.
    Last edited by Rockynv; 03-03-2014 at 05:34 AM.

apriliaforum Member
    Woke up this morning to take a 400 mile round trip out to Solvang ca. Check tires, front 25 and rear 30. So I cruise to the gas station to pump up the tires. It went from feeling like a cadillac to feeling like the tires were hard as rocks.

Anyways, I ran into rain and high crosswinds as well as not being able to see past my visor. Don't know how people ride in the rain. Instead of a day trip, all I got were these crummy pics.

Yeah I did my oil and gear oil both at 600 miles.

apriliaforum Member
    Nice! I love the ride out to Sequoia/Kings Canyon. Made did it once over that summer and once again in September. What route did you take to Solvang? Hwy 41 through Paso?
    GH
    2016 Ducati Sixty2
    2016 Piaggio BV350

apriliaforum Member
    Ya 41 south to paso robles and then left on hwy 101.

Hwy 41 has a cop sitting there pulling cars left and right, so consider hwy 41 a very expensive toll road.

I meant to cruise out to solvang to visit the antique motorcycle shop and spend the day sightseeing. I didn't check the weather and ran into rain and high winds pushing the bike around too much. Cycle gear has a disk brake lock for 10 bucks, I need to grab one tomorrow. I'll feel better parking in Los Angeles with 2 of these on. http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/A...98_59550_37483

This crappy weather really hampers travel.

I've been checking out this motorcycle V-logger on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/BaronVonGrumble An enjoyable watch.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast