Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chain adjustment

apriliaforum Junkie
    Excellent! Look forward to it.

apriliaforum expert
    On my ZX12R I managed 28K miles on the OEM chain, 30K miles on a DID chain, and sold it at 80K miles. On my ZZR14 I managed 35K miles on the OEM chain and sold it at 40K miles. I put the longevity down to a Scott Oiler and regular monthly cleaning with diesel fuel.

Diesel is recommend over paraffin - left overnight the volatile component of the diesel evaporates leaving the waxy residue on the chain, I then apply Scott-oil liberally with a brush

apriliaforum newb fraserterry54's Avatar
    The manual assumes all owners are idiots. Very frustrating. Basic maintenance information missing.

Quote Originally Posted by ACTCapo View Post
    Should I take the measurements for chain slack while bike is on centre stand, or side stand or neither? Manual says "rest vehicle on its stand"....

I do mine on it's center stand. 2015 Capo TP. I don't think you have one on the Rally. Adjust to 25mm slack and works fine. Next time I'm going to swap the Axle around so the nut is on the LH side instead of RH side to hopefully make it easier to work around the exhaust.

Good luck!
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

Current: 2015 Caponord, 2015 Moto Guzzi V7 Special
    Gone: 2009 Aprilia Mana 850,
    2001 Aprilia Scarabeo 50,
    2002 Futura

The stock chain is a piece of crap.. Like other have said, it was ruined by 12,000 miles. My Futura's chain, in contrast, was good up until changed at 24,000 miles. I tossed an X-Ring on when I moved up 2 teeth in back. Front stock sprocket is still looking perfect.
    Last edited by rdbandkab; 09-06-2017 at 07:01 AM.
    02 aprilia Futura
    15 aprilia Caponord 1200

apriliaforum newb
    I checked the chain tension unloaded on the side stand (per Aprilia handbook) and then on the centre stand and couldn't get any difference so it's on the centre stand from now on. I would expect more than 15K miles out of the chain. My Multistrada with more bhp was pristine at 15K. We'll see.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by VIEWDVB View Post
    I checked the chain tension unloaded on the side stand (per Aprilia handbook) and then on the centre stand and couldn't get any difference so it's on the centre stand from now on. I would expect more than 15K miles out of the chain. My Multistrada with more bhp was pristine at 15K. We'll see.
    My chain is at 16K miles and has required very little adjustment. There has been a tight spot for ages and it doesn't seem to be getting worse. The gearbox sprocket though is showing some wear. I had a MS1200 and the C&S were scrap at 18K miles, when I bought it.

FWIW I'm not prepared to disclose how I maintain the chain as it seems to provoke ridicule from some.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I read some place that the chain isn't stretching, but the inside of the chain is wearing out which makes it seem like it's stretching out..I oil it every three hundred miles..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12