Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Coolant manifold recall - finally

Mine's going in next week... he said he's got his technique down to about 3 hours (after it cools down).

Max Lean Angle / Administrator Ed / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Brent at our Austin shop is well under an hour now, starting with a cold engine. I think he did 4 last week, and our NB shop has done about 5 of them this past week.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    So I found out that my bike is also included in the recall... unfortunately the nearest dealership is about 3 hours away. How bad is this problem? I did notice that my coolant level was low. Can I go the season, till October till I get it fixed... I also have a bit of the oil leak problem. I can get the bike towed and brought back under warranty...

So shoudl I wait or do it right away. I still have my Shiver so I can ride... but it's not the same.

yours can fail at any time....the bad part is most that fail, its sudden and violent.....instant loss of all coolant, and hot water spraying all over the bike and you.

Dont wait to get it done...we told one guy to bring it in next week due to his scheduling conflicts when he stopped in....his then broke on the way home. Getting it done now.

Quote Originally Posted by Narked View Post
    So I found out that my bike is also included in the recall... unfortunately the nearest dealership is about 3 hours away. How bad is this problem? I did notice that my coolant level was low. Can I go the season, till October till I get it fixed... I also have a bit of the oil leak problem. I can get the bike towed and brought back under warranty...

So shoudl I wait or do it right away. I still have my Shiver so I can ride... but it's not the same.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    roger dodger!

My second one failed today, although it's still holding coolant, just leaking down the side of the engine. The first one blew spectacularly at a track day. Getting the new part installed next week.

Annoyingly Aprilia won't cover anything, part of labor, if you go with the aluminum part. It has to be their new part or nothing. Here's hoping the new parts work better than the old one...

Hmmm did not want to hear that, I may have to get a spare...

The problem with using an aluminium part with rubber is that it will expand at a different rate than the rubber hose, so the rubber hose expands and is no longer tight to the aluminium, while the plastic part will heat at a similar rate to the rubber, so it should remain tight...
    Bikes i own -
    Aprilia tuono V4R APRC, Aprilia Tuono V2, Fazer 1000 tuned(Ivanised)
    Bikes of the past -
    Kawasaki 650 Versys, Triumph sprint st 1050, Aprilia Falco,Suzuki gsxr 1000 k6, Kawasaki Gpz 1100s, Suzuki 1000 v strom, Honda Vf 1000f, Kawasaki Gpz 750 turbo, Kawasaki z 750s,Suzuki Gsxr 750 g, kawasaki Z 750 l1,Suzuki 650 v strom , Suzuki sv 650, Kawasaki Z 650, Suzuki freewind, Bmw F 650, Yamaha xj 650,Kawasaki Zx636 b1h,Yamaha fazer 600, Kawasaki Zzr 600,Honda hornet 600, Suzuki Gs500, Yamaha Xs 400 ,yamaha fzr 600, Kawasaki Fx400r, Yamaha rd 250/350 lc, Honda Cb 250 n,Yamaha tdr 250, Suzuki gt 250 x7, Yamaha dtr 125, Suzuki A 100, Honda H 100, Suzuki zr 50... Think that's them all

apriliaforum expert kingvolcano's Avatar
    Emphatic No

Quote Originally Posted by nickodemon View Post
    The problem with using an aluminium part with rubber is that it will expand at a different rate than the rubber hose, so the rubber hose expands and is no longer tight to the aluminium, while the plastic part will heat at a similar rate to the rubber, so it should remain tight...

I see what you are saying, but isn't that why the clamps are there for? They should take care of the different expansion rates and pressure... I don't guess that the plastic would expand at a rate close enough to that of the rubber to really be better, the clamps are the key at the pressures we are talking about. Besides there are other metal to rubber connections in the system.

12' Tuono V4
    04' 636

Yeah, I got notified of this just before I went on holidays. I expect that Dave and I will have a few to replace. At least on the T-V4 its easy. I imagine you'll have to take all the plastic off on the RS.

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

Really ????? Is your radiator plastic ??? give us a break.
    '12 TuonoV4R
    '03 Tuono Racing 069
    '06 Honda Goldwing
    '93 Yamaha GTS (4)
    '94 Yamaha GTS (3)
    '06 SV1000S
    '04 R1
    '03 Yamaha FZ1(Bumble Bee)
    '03 R6 track bike
    '03 SV650 track bike

apriliaforum prov-nov
    So I had her towed off today... 4 days after getting he registered. The distance is vast so after the Aprilia roadside assistance ($300) it's still gonna cost me $170 and $50 to get her back... at least I can ride the Shiver till then... but it's not the same.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    My dealer says he cannot get all the parts to complete the replacement. There is some mushroom shaped rubber piece that is on backorder without any expected delivery date. Anyone else having this problem?

????? had he read the bulletin, you re-use those from the stock manifold....just tiny little rubber bumpers to keep it from rattling on the frame. Pull out and press in new manifold, there are qty 2

all he needs in the new manifold. If he has the correct tools for the clamps, they can all be reused.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast