Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Coolant manifold recall - finally

I've removed, and installed hundreds of those clamps over the years, and almost never have had an issue with them loosing tension. Sometimes over extension of the clamp will cause deformation. Also, I have reused the same clamp many times without a problem. Volks/Audi clamps don't seem to open far enough to slide over the bulge in the fitting causing deformation, or loosing tension.

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    Different people have different results when it comes to re-using the clamps.
    I've re-used them without any problems, but have also had a couple that leaked after re-using.

I take a different approach depending on if the bike I'm working on is my own or a customer's.

With a customer's bike, I can't afford to have a comeback and the customer will not be too happy if I don't fix it right the first time. So I always install new clamps.

For my own bike, I will often re-use the clamps as long as they are not distorted.
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

Quote Originally Posted by amauri View Post
    Different people have different results when it comes to re-using the clamps.
    I've re-used them without any problems, but have also had a couple that leaked after re-using.

I take a different approach depending on if the bike I'm working on is my own or a customer's.

With a customer's bike, I can't afford to have a comeback and the customer will not be too happy if I don't fix it right the first time. So I always install new clamps.

For my own bike, I will often re-use the clamps as long as they are not distorted.
    I'd be the same in your shoes.....always nicer to kick your own ass than have a customer do it if you make a mistake and a customer won't always forgive you.

apriliaforum newb
    Hi. Does this recall affect the 2012 v4r in Australia? I just bought this bike last week.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Two weeks ago i traded my 2006 RSVR Factory on a 2012 registered 2014 ( In New Zealand rego starts from when its registered to go on the road when brought ) Tuono and i love it, Cause of the coolant manifold and demand sensor recall i got hold of the nearest Aprilia dearler and gave them my VIN # and after a few days he came back with NO recall on this bike, so i hope thats true, I,m loving this bike and much more comfortable than the RSV. It only had 3110kilometers on it when i brought it so not even run in.
    Get out and enjoy the riding while you still can.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by Zx9er View Post
    Hi. Does this recall affect the 2012 v4r in Australia? I just bought this bike last week.
    I'm curious of this too. Any Aussies have this issue fixed under recall? Mine's started leaking heavily over the winter.

Happy to spring for the Alu replacement, it's the cost of the tool for the clips and labor time that's more my concern.

Sorry to dig up an old thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2012 RSV4 R APRC
    1997 Ducati 748 SP
    2010 Ducati Hypermotard Evo

I had the same leak but turned out to be a loose hose clamp on the thermostat housing and anther leak at the upper rad hose clamp and a third at the hose to the back of the water pump. I ended up fixing it all with a Samco silicone hose and clamp kit and put in a $100 billet aluminum coolant manifold just because I was in there already. Make NO assumption where the leak is coming from. You have to KNOW to fix it. An Aprilia is not a bike for cheapskates trying to spend as little as possible. There is a bike made for people like that. It's called a Honda. Stone cold reliable and boring as fuck.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by VMCSC View Post
    I had the same leak but turned out to be a loose hose clamp on the thermostat housing and anther leak at the upper rad hose clamp and a third at the hose to the back of the water pump. I ended up fixing it all with a Samco silicone hose and clamp kit and put in a $100 billet aluminum coolant manifold just because I was in there already. Make NO assumption where the leak is coming from. You have to KNOW to fix it. An Aprilia is not a bike for cheapskates trying to spend as little as possible. There is a bike made for people like that. It's called a Honda. Stone cold reliable and boring as fuck.
    I was planning on replacing all of that at the same time, thanks.

While I could never be accused of cheaping out on my three cars and three bikes, my wife would attest to that, $300 AUD for pliers I'll barely use is a little silly I've seen that there's another solution instead of the pliers so I'll go that route and do it myself. Did you buy the pliers?
    2012 RSV4 R APRC
    1997 Ducati 748 SP

apriliaforum expert surfmonster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phunky_monkey View Post

While I could never be accused of cheaping out on my three cars and three bikes, my wife would attest to that, $300 AUD for pliers I'll barely use is a little silly I've seen that there's another solution instead of the pliers so I'll go that route and do it myself. Did you buy the pliers?
    Don't buy pliers. Just chuck OEM clamps and replace with proper automotive worm clamps, or with compatible screw down TB clamps. Done and done.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by surfmonster View Post
    Don't buy pliers. Just chuck OEM clamps and replace with proper automotive worm clamps. Done and done.
    Yeah that's the plan. Did some more research and saw there's another solution for the clamps from AF1 so I'll order those with the manifold.

Thanks mate.

2012 RSV4 R APRC
    1997 Ducati 748 SP

Nope. I removed all the spring clamps and replaced them with regular hose clamps made by Samco. I had originally tried to just reuse the hoses and replace only the clamps but that cheap, Chinese rubber is garbage and was the source of the leaks and standard clamps bit into the rubber shredding it. Af-1 also sells screw clamps for the intake boots on the throttle bodies. https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scri...dProduct=61940 $7- times four is not cheap but after you've spent two hours trying to reuse the pinch clamps without success you'll be glad you had them. The billet manifolds runs another $100 US which is a lot but like I said, I didn't buy the bike to skimp on parts and sooner or later they will stop making them so I grabbed one while I still could.

Good luck but make sure you hve found the leak and if you go the Samco route, get the correct kit that includes the two hoses up under the seat that you can't see.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Legend, thanks mate.

The RSV4 kit listed on AF1 doesn't include the two hoses that run by the TB's. Looks like the Tuono kit does though, so I've just emailed them for clarification. If it's all good then I'll grab that, an Alu. manifold and the screw clamps and then get stuck in. Pretty sure that's going to be a frustrating day, but a little less so without the OE pinch clips

Nope. I removed all the spring clamps and replaced them with regular hose clamps made by Samco. I had originally tried to just reuse the hoses and replace only the clamps but that cheap, Chinese rubber is garbage and was the source of the leaks and standard clamps bit into the rubber shredding it. Af-1 also sells screw clamps for the intake boots on the throttle bodies. https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scri...dProduct=61940 $7- times four is not cheap but after you've spent two hours trying to reuse the pinch clamps without success you'll be glad you had them. The billet manifolds runs another $100 US which is a lot but like I said, I didn't buy the bike to skimp on parts and sooner or later they will stop making them so I grabbed one while I still could.

Good luck but make sure you hve found the leak and if you go the Samco route, get the correct kit that includes the two hoses up under the seat that you can't see.

2012 RSV4 R APRC
    1997 Ducati 748 SP

Legend, thanks mate.

The RSV4 kit listed on AF1 doesn't include the two hoses that run by the TB's. Looks like the Tuono kit does though, so I've just emailed them for clarification. If it's all good then I'll grab that, an Alu. manifold and the screw clamps and then get stuck in. Pretty sure that's going to be a frustrating day, but a little less so without the OE pinch clips
    This is true. The RSV4 kit is an older design and doesn't not include the coolant manifold hoses. The Tuono kit also includes a Y pipe and does away with the aluminum tube running from the left radiator inlet to the water pump. You can see the pipe in this old pic. It is now all red silicone hose. I recommend the Samco clamp kit as well. The clamps are very high quality and don't cut into the hose. In the lower pic you can see the leak I was chasing is clearly running down the crank sensor wire from the thermostat and not from the manifold which is behind under the back of the tank.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Think I'll go ahead and pick up the Tuono kit instead then, thanks for the tip Fairly sure compatibility won't be an issue on the RSV4.

This is true. The RSV4 kit is an older design and doesn't not include the coolant manifold hoses. The Tuono kit also includes a Y pipe and does away with the aluminum tube running from the left radiator inlet to the water pump. You can see the pipe in this old pic. It is now all red silicone hose. I recommend the Samco clamp kit as well. The clamps are very high quality and don't cut into the hose. In the lower pic you can see the leak I was chasing is clearly running down the crank sensor wire from the thermostat and not from the manifold which is behind under the back of the tank.

2012 RSV4 R APRC
    1997 Ducati 748 SP

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hey VMCSC, quick question mate. I've replaced the manifold and have the new TB clamps, just wondering which way you oriented them and whether you went on the upper or lower groove on the rubber? Cheers!

2012 RSV4 R APRC
    1997 Ducati 748 SP

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314