Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Dangerous suspension linkage - please read !!!!!!!!!

You don't need to remove the seals to disassemble, clean, and inspect. Pretty straight forward job. Use a drop cloth under your work to prevent losing needles.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU

apriliaforum newb
    Hi Kz! Thank you for the info you provided. I always appreciate your advice as I know from reading your many posts that you clearly know of what you speak. I haven’t ever serviced a bearing before. I’m uncertain how to clean one. Do I simply wipe away the old grease or do I use a solvent of some sort on a rag? If a solvent, what’s the effect on the seal? Do I intentionally remove needles to clean? Or do I simply apply some water resistant grease to the bearing and be done with it? Any detailed direction you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks Kz!

Yes it is a good idea to disassemble, clean with solvent, and inspect before deciding what's next. If the needles and races are serviceable, reassemble with new grease. A simple solvent like mineral spirits will not harm the seals. There are a number of threads here where people have gone through the whole thing with details and pictures. If you have any basic mechanical experience you can handle it.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mcenthusiast View Post
    Hi Kz! Thank you for the info you provided. I always appreciate your advice as I know from reading your many posts that you clearly know of what you speak. I haven’t ever serviced a bearing before. I’m uncertain how to clean one. Do I simply wipe away the old grease or do I use a solvent of some sort on a rag? If a solvent, what’s the effect on the seal? Do I intentionally remove needles to clean? Or do I simply apply some water resistant grease to the bearing and be done with it? Any detailed direction you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks Kz!
    Just remember you have to support the bike someplace other that the swingarm. A rod through the swingarm bolt and a couple of tall jack stands will work. I did my swingarm bearing at the same time I upgraded the link plate.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Well that is what I ended up doing.Went on Ebay and got myself another set of plates and some longer high tensile bolts and doubled up .My dogbone had previously seized solid.I had to drill the head off the front bolt and managed to get a hacksaw blade between the inner bush and the frame lug on the other end.I bought a new dogbone and out of curiousity tried to extract the remains of the bolt and bearings from the old one.Placed it over a large socket and smashed the stub with a 3lb lumphammer, many ,many times.The result was circular gouges in the solid concrete floor ,and absolutely no movement of the seized bolt.

apriliaforum newb
    I Recently bought an 09 factory v2 which looked in good shape and (allegedly) well maintained but was lacking service history for past two years. So after reading through some of the issues with the dog bone bearings and potential failures decided to take a look. Engine side of dog bone was practically sized as was the Ohlin bottom link, so its thanks to all who provided the necessary info. Also watched some youtube video on bearing removal and all now working fine. If in doubt check it out.

Its common sense but its not common to everyone

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234