Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dangerous suspension linkage - please read !!!!!!!!!

apriliaforum Member

Dangerous suspension linkage - please read !!!!!!!!!

I think that someone has already copied this thread somewhere here but not sure where. I thought it only right to post a link to it just in case anyone missed it

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...e-please-read-!!!!!!!!!

Those Soupy's things are trash and should be illegal. http://www.tiger1050.com/index.php/topic,28481.0.html
    2011 (gen2) T 1000R, white

Sorry to revive such an old sticky thread - but I've read both links and I'm not seeing anything about the frequency of failure on the stock part - any insight, gentlemen?

They look stupidly weak on their own and compared to the previous design. Some have broken causing injury. What else do you need to know.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU

Sorry for the confusion, kzmille.

I was wanting to know about the frequency of failure & if there's any outside influences apart from design, not necessarily what happened. (in reference to the OEM part)
    Thanks for the reply!

I don't think you will find the kind of qualitative data you are looking for. I think it is safe to say failure is rare. A handful of failures reported. I wouldn't ride with them.

Thanks partner!

Stopsharing,
    You were asking if the stock Aprilia suspension linkage part had lot's of failures, NOT Soupy's crappy replacement - right?

I believe I read here somewhere a couple of years ago about ONE guy having a failure with the OEM one based on no lubrication on the moving joint, adding tons of stress to it, so very unusual and the exception. Don't worry, no upgrade needed!

On the Englandshire side of the Welsh Border
    Quote Originally Posted by cruppelt View Post
    Stopsharing,
    You were asking if the stock Aprilia suspension linkage part had lot's of failures, NOT Soupy's crappy replacement - right?

I believe I read here somewhere a couple of years ago about ONE guy having a failure with the OEM one based on no lubrication on the moving joint, adding tons of stress to it, so very unusual and the exception. Don't worry, no upgrade needed!

Bikes were leaving the factory with little or no grease in the suspension linkages.
    A failure was inevitable given the amount of them seizing up.
    A rear end that has been correctly serviced is highly unlikely to fail.

Okay, there have been a handful of failures reported that had absolutely nothing to do with lack of maintenance. These were sudden catastrophic failures of the plates that caused immediate crashes. These crashes cause injury and possibly worse. You are fooling yourselves if you think "it can't happen to me". This has been hashed over a number of times and I don't want to flame it all up again but anyone riding on the gen 2 oem plates has a right to know about it.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything more.

Maybe there have been a few more OEM breakages than I am aware off from before I bought my Aprilia and joined this forum, if so I missed that part so far. I know the Soupy part failure is very dangerous since it always reportedly fails at higher speeds.

For the OEM I had only found this at the very beginning of the quoted post (at the top of this one): "The standard Aprilia suspension links normally break on you, if they break that is, when you are going reasonably slow."

Sounds like I need to search a bit more on here since I was under the impression that I was reasonably safe if I keep my linkage lubed...

For $60 and 30 minutes of my own labor I decided to install the AF1 solid plates for peace of mind. There's plenty of information or cases out there with the statement that the "rear suspension linkage" failed, which can mean any number of the components or mounts. It does seem rare that it is documented as tied specifically to the plates. Again, IMO it's cheap enough to warrant and I wanted to not have to worry about it either way. I'll bring the bike up and re-grease and check everything in another 2500 miles.

Rvee - are these what you got? http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...idProduct=5467

That does sound like cheap peace of mind, once you confirm I'll get a set.

Quote Originally Posted by Rvee View Post
    ...It does seem rare that it is documented as tied specifically to the plates...
    It's actually much more rare that anything but the plates has failed. One or two dog bone failures but these were clearly caused by heavy corrosion. More than just a few documented cases of the plates failing.

Quote Originally Posted by cruppelt View Post
    Rvee - are these what you got? http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...idProduct=5467

That does sound like cheap peace of mind, once you confirm I'll get a set.
    Yep, those are the ones, as many forum members have purchased them and installed I did as well after reading many of the threads surrounding this. Great write up on the process here if you DIY:

http://www.joe250.com/motorcycles/tu...inkplates.html

Definitely recommend something slightly under 1/2" for the rod to get weight off the rear if you go that way. Since my rolled steel was slightly warped there were some concerning moments using a very long screwdriver and blunt force to get it out.

And yeah kz I think those cases of heavy corrosion have stuck in my mind more that show dog bone failures, but there's a reason the solid plates exist... I'm in agreement and all for the swap out after reading into some calculations folks much more well versed than I have done in the physics and forces applied on the parts.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast