Thread: Which AGIP oil - 5W or 10W? for my SC250

Which AGIP oil - 5W or 10W? for my SC250

Which oil are you guys running in your scoots? I am looking at buy the stuff I need now for the 500 mile oil change on my SC250 and the local shop where I bought mine told me to use AGIP 5W-40, but when I read the owners manual it says 10W-40. I know that just stands for the weight and I'm thinking of using the 5W-40, just thought I would get some ideas of what you are all running. The manual says 10W-40 and everyone in the motorcycle shops telling me to run the 5W-40. Either way I will be using AGIP synthetic.
    2009 Aprilia Sportcity cube 250, 1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2011 Toyota Yaris

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeper5usa View Post
    Which oil are you guys running in your scoots? I am looking at buy the stuff I need now for the 500 mile oil change on my SC250 and the local shop where I bought mine told me to use AGIP 5W-40, but when I read the owners manual it says 10W-40. I know that just stands for the weight and I'm thinking of using the 5W-40, just thought I would get some ideas of what you are all running. The manual says 10W-40 and everyone in the motorcycle shops telling me to run the 5W-40. Either way I will be using AGIP synthetic.
    I use Rotella T6 5w-40 full synthetic. 20 bucks a gal at meijer.

apriliaforum expert
    According to the customer support folks at Piaggio more critical would be that it is a motorcycle rated oil for its anti-foaming properties and better resistance to hot spots than an automotive or truck motor oil. That is what they told me when I first got my Sport City 250 and spoke with their support folks at their main US office on the telephone.

In New Jersey you could have some cold mornings where you would benefit from the 5W instead of a 10W and as long as the number at running temperature is no thinner than a 40 you should be fine. Going to a 0W would probably be pushing things a bit too far.

apriliaforum Member
    Thats interesting. I sure like to hear from owners who uses non motorcycle oil that have high mileage scoots just to see if there is a long term affect.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by lmt6600 View Post
    Thats interesting. I sure like to hear from owners who uses non motorcycle oil that have high mileage scoots just to see if there is a long term affect.
    More critical to know who ran it and did have problems. Just because some got away with it does not assure that all automotive oils will be sufficient.

It's been my understanding that you DON'T use automotive oil in motorcycles. Why would you chance it anyways?

apriliaforum Member
    I've read many forums and many uses the T6 and so far haven't not found anyone had problems with it. I bought my SC used and the previous owner was using T6 and suggested it to me so I will continue using it... I'll be the guinea pig and i will report if I notice something wrong or any issues. I still see bunch of 2009 SC's and would be good reason to get a new one if something happens. LOL. So far been great.

apriliaforum expert
    While my 4 year warranty is still in effect I would not chance it. If the manufacturer of the engine says it is not worth taking a chance and that it would void the warrenty if other than the specified grade of oil was used then it most likely is not worth taking a chance even if some have found potentially a few automotive oils that might be close enough to work in a cooler climate.

Rocky, which weight do you use?

apriliaforum expert
    50 K on S5 Never an engine issue only Mobil 15W 50 used Red label Car oil 6-10K change intervals First was 700 miles by dealer in Ky.. 150 Rotax No oil related Issues ever Rotella T Diesel oil 5W-40 SYN... or Castrol Syntec Red label 5W-50 5K intervals all car oils or piston engine w no additives for motorcycle transmissions etc no need on a scoot..

apriliaforum expert
    Rocky, which weight do you use?
    Amsoil 10W40 full synthetic motorcycle oil is what I use based on the recomendations of several factory trained Aprilia mechanics due to where I live being semi-tropical with roadway temperatures reaching 110+ degrees a good part of the year.

The cost is relative since you change it every 6,250 miles and the bike takes less than a quart. For many riders the 6,250 mile oil change shedule means that they will be changing their oil once per year so over a 10 year period of time what are they really saving by cheating on the oil? We are only talking about a $2 to $5 difference per year in the cost between the required Synthetic Motorcycle oil and the automotive ones so bottom line over ten years for many will be a $20 maybe $50 savings by cheating or skimping on the oil. Cost benefit over the term of ownership is simply not there.

apriliaforum expert
    bout every 45-60 days for me Tuf oiled at 12K Slick 50'd at 22K yea I know snake oils but free to me .. rotax had no recommendations for theyre 150 that piaggio/aprilia used. their ultra lt air engines use same oil wide range syn no bike additives needed .. I wish for a simple oil related failure Nah I gotta be missn obscure cupped washers that make belts break in days soundin like a WWII Airship W gattlin guns He He

Rocky, but I am in NJ and weather not as hot. Maunal says 10W-40 so will probaly use that, but local shops telling me to go with 5W up here. Also, what is hub oil? Is that the gear oil? I have to change that at same time oil? I didn't think you needed to change that as much?

apriliaforum expert
    Rocky, but I am in NJ and weather not as hot. Maunal says 10W-40 so will probaly use that, but local shops telling me to go with 5W up here. Also, what is hub oil? Is that the gear oil? I have to change that at same time oil? I didn't think you needed to change that as much?
    The 5W would be for easier starting in extremely cold weather. Hub oil/gear oil its the same. Page 185 of the owners manuel lists it to be changed at the same 6,300 mile interval as the engine oil. Some would be inclined to change the engine oil twice as often and then follow the 6,300 mile sched for the hub/gear lube and other maintenance however those little oil filters are a bit pricey.