Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decomposing decals

apriliaforum prov-nov rustyrobot's Avatar

Decomposing decals

Alas the ol' Grey Wolf is starting to show it's age (ain't we all!) and some of the decal is peeling/flaking on the front fairing. I had a look through the forums here regarding removing decals, but it seems very much hit and miss (recommended: everything from hot soapy water to WD40 to razor blade to heat-gun to hair-dryer. Not recommended: everything from hot soapy water to WD40 to razor blade to heat-gun to hair-dryer). Some folks have even messed up their paint or fairing in the process.

I'd like to tidy up the bike over the year, there are a few other little bits and pieces that need freshening up, but not sure what's the best way to progress on this one which is the most visible. Really open to hearing was has/hasn't worked for you all. I don't actually have a heatgun or hairdryer (thank you male pattern baldness - talking of age showing).

Not too excited about having to buy an entire decal kit just for this one piece. Anyone got a spare to sell? Or maybe want to split a decal kit? Has anyone used a third-party to replicate decals?

Name:  dd.JPG
Views: 233
Size:  66.8 KB

Actually, the only decal you can remove on a 2003 Tuono is the one on the tail section. The tank and front fairing decals are all under the clear coat, you'll pretty much have to sand it down and reshoot it. You can still get the decals from Aprilia (at least in North America), but god only knows what kind of shape they're in after a decade in a warehouse.
    2003 Magnet Gray Tuono - Arrow 2-2 Race System - Gabro "F255" Chip - Ohlins Axial Front Forks - Ohlins Rear Shock/Hyperco Spring - RSV-R OZ Forged Wheels - 16/42 525 Chain/Sprocket - AF1 Keychain

apriliaforum Junkie
    I need one of those decals as well .

apriliaforum expert cggunnersmate's Avatar
    Might as well pull the pin and get all the plastics painted with that paint scheme you've always wanted.

Clear coat on the Aprilia logos on the tank are peeling on mine as well.
    Brent
    Chief Gunnersmate
    U.S. Coast Guard
    Cape Cod
    '03 Tuono
    '01 Speed Triple (RIP) 8/26/11

Sigh. Not the prognosis I was hoping for, although - maybe you are right cggunnersmate - that paint scheme has been lurking in my mind (but how did you know?! ).

Any suggestions for a short-term solution? I have a feeling it's going to take a while to convince my partner that painting the bike is a high priority. Maybe I'll just get something made to cover the basic shape - that shouldn't be too tricky (read: expensive).

Short of a repaint, you could go to a shop that specializes in automotive vinyl decals and have something slightly wider/longer made up to put on top as an applique. Should be fairly cheap, durable, and reasonably attractive. The fairing assembly is so small and easy to disassemble you could simply remove it from the bike, remove the headlamp housing, and carry it to a shop.

Would be a doddle to do yourself, actually, and fairly cheap for the material. Remove the windscreen and headlamp, clean the fairing as much as possible, get a rectangle of the adhesive vinyl in a color you like that's wide and tall enough to cover the entire area (a bit wider than the current decal), line up the edges left and right for a clean sharp line, and trim out a "U" for the windscreen (with a bit extra to wrap inside and hide any irregular edges), do the same sort of trimming around the headlamp area, punch clean holes for the windscreen retainers, reassemble, and Bob's your uncle. It'd be more angular instead of gently curved on the sides, and you'd be missing the "Aprilia" section, of course, but that's not the end of the world.

For variations on the theme, instead of trying to find a close color match for the bronze/gold, you could go with 3M Dynoc Carbon Fauxber, gloss black or matte black, etc.
    2003 Magnet Gray Tuono - Arrow 2-2 Race System - Gabro "F255" Chip - Ohlins Axial Front Forks - Ohlins Rear Shock/Hyperco Spring - RSV-R OZ Forged Wheels - 16/42 525 Chain/Sprocket - AF1 Keychain

I agree with the above. It should be relatively easy to make a pattern and then take it to a vinyl sticker shop. It's cheap and the finish is pretty good. It'll also prevent a few stone chips.
    I designed vinyl cut stickers for mine and the finish is pretty good.
    (the scull thingy)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a017cc9a-5d0a-4913-94b4-a011a04cab22_zpscc1e4f8a.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	214284

Or you could try this mob. Looks like they do a nice job.
    http://www.bike-stickers.com/homepage.htm

apriliaforum Junkie
    Madart , how was the Yandina pub the other week ?

Quote Originally Posted by tasi View Post
    Madart , how was the Yandina pub the other week ?
    Good Mate. I often stop there, it used to be my local. I thought that was you. Shoulda stopped for an ale!

I woudn't have thought that would be too much of a problem for a decent paint shop. Just a case of stripping the laquer, taking the decal off and spraying the damaged section.

If you lose the Aprilia lettering, it would be even easier.

I had this issue on a Blade years ago, the finished job was fantastic, cost me about £100 IIRC.
    Some people will tell you that slow is good Ė but Iím here to tell you that fast is better. Iíve always believed this, in spite of the trouble itís caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.
    Do Not Be Offended By Anything I Post. I Generally Talk Out Of My Arse.

apriliaforum Junkie
    I had to get home .Next time .

Hey, thanks for the great ideas. I'm thinking that a custom respray would probably be the best shot - but what colour? I've done a terrible mock up of bronze, grey and black respray - and I know the picture angle isn't great for comparisons, but keen to hear what you all think. I guess the grey would really be uniform across the whole front fairing, so this pic not so helpful. All other decals/colouring as per standard magnet grey bike.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dd_three.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	214431

I'd stick with the standard colour.

If you manage to get the decal off without damaging the base colour and you're not too bothered about having the decal there, it might just be a case of two layers of clear coat and you're good to go.
    Some people will tell you that slow is good Ė but Iím here to tell you that fast is better. Iíve always believed this, in spite of the trouble itís caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.
    Do Not Be Offended By Anything I Post. I Generally Talk Out Of My Arse.

apriliaforum expert cggunnersmate's Avatar
    Or, and I'm probably going to be flamed for this, go for some faux carbon fiber vinyls.

Just an idea, get that CF look without the CF price. maybe even with aprilia in bronze or something on the front.
    Brent
    Chief Gunnersmate
    U.S. Coast Guard
    Cape Cod
    '03 Tuono
    '01 Speed Triple (RIP) 8/26/11

Here's what mined looked like after a repaint.

CURRENT BIKE
    2011 RSV4R APRC
    RIP to my 2003 Tuono. May she live on within other's RSV's.

"Stand up, you know what it means
    Wake up, time to live your dreams"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast