Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Dorsoduro FatDuc install instructions (with lots of pictures)

2011 Dorsoduro FatDuc install instructions (with lots of pictures)

I'm not sure how many people are going to be installing these that aren't super familiar with the workings, but I figured one of these couldn't hurt. All I had to start with was this post http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...=1#post3227857 from Thousand Suns, which was helpful but apparently the wire routing's changed between his year (09 I believe) and mine.

So this is where you start. The O2 sensor cable feels braided, kinda slinky-like.

The bolt holding that little bracket in is an 8mm. Here's a wider shot for context.

Once you pull that bolt out (quite torqued in for me, took a good bit of arm), you'll have to wiggle the unit free. It's packed really tightly in there so it might take some effort. The bracket is just to hold the bottom of the clip, so no worries about being a little rough to get it out.

Once you pull it free from under the frame it'll look about like this:

At this point you just disconnect that connection and install the FatDuc inline. Simple.

Getting the bracket and connector back in is just as much a pain in the arse as getting it out was, but now you have about 2x the wire to stuff in. I put in the top of the connector, attached to the bracket, and got that lined up and bolted back in before I stuffed the rest of the wire in. The FatDuc cabling is more flexible than it seems, so this wasn't too bad. Here's a pic of just before I bolted the bracket back in.

So this is where I ended up after merely tucking the extra cabling into place. It's a snug fit and seems to be safely clear of engine components.

After the install I did about 20 miles of almost purely city driving. I intentionally drove like a total puss to check out the low RPM fueling, and it was all pro. I drove through a busy shopping center in first with no clutch and everything was dandy. I'm pretty sure I pissed people off by being such a slow pokey bastard, but it was in the name of science, so they can stuff it. I also had a quick rip down about a mile-ish long stretch of interstate to check out more open, but still not WOT, throttle feel and that was all gravy too. Much improved in smoothness.

After stopping from my riding around the city my FatDuc looked like this:

So it seems like just stuffing it in there will keep it safe. If not I'll have to devise a method of zip-tying it to something to keep it still. The available options for that route suck with the cable routing like it is, though.
    2011 Dorsoduro 750 - Black

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer gods than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. - Stephen F. Roberts

"The population of lonely people with eager willingness to be purposefully wrong is not to be underestimated." - Will Assaf

Quote Originally Posted by naimchase View Post
    Motorcycles are not just fun toys. They are a catalyst for the enjoyment of life. They enhance your own, and bring something out in those around you.
    Be open to the enthusiasm of riders and non-riders. You will be well rewarded.

Seat strap removal

I also pulled the seat strap off. I'm not sure how many other people thought it was annoying but didn't know exactly how to yank it...so I took pics of that too.

Pull the seat off and unscrew these three screws.

Then unscrew these hex heads on either side (number 4).

After you pull off the tail fairing it's just a couple of number 5 hex head bolts (with nuts on the back side so have some pliers handy) to pull and you're done.

After you pull it off you've got one hell of an asswhipping strap.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer gods than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. - Stephen F. Roberts

"The population of lonely people with eager willingness to be purposefully wrong is not to be underestimated." - Will Assaf

Motorcycles are not just fun toys. They are a catalyst for the enjoyment of life. They enhance your own, and bring something out in those around you.

Great post......+1 for a sticky
    BLOG = http://bitsar.blogspot.com.au

Life
    is Complex
    :: {It has an (i)maginary component && a (R)eal component}

Nice post. Just like the good old days

Cheers fellas.

Too many like this for sticky but it could go in the FAQ.

apriliaforum Junkie TruffleShuffle's Avatar
    Good stuff, you've convinced a luddite like me to have a go now!

apriliaforum Junkie
    So, this is a solution for throttle turning off the engine at low rpm or pulling the clutch level, isn't it?

Yes it is fella, if you haven't got one fitted, then you need one….Also your in luck….

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...hiver-Parts-UK

apriliaforum Junkie
    I've check my bike, is it the jack connection between exhaust and somewhere above the engine !?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsky View Post
    I've check my bike, is it the jack connection between exhaust and somewhere above the engine !?
    I believe you have a Shiver, yes? In which case I'm not positive where the cable runs. Check behind the frame spar that runs down below the shock/above the oil filler cap. That's just a guess though. Hopefully a Shiver owner will be by to give you a real answer.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardoch View Post
    I believe you have a Shiver, yes? In which case I'm not positive where the cable runs. Check behind the frame spar that runs down below the shock/above the oil filler cap. That's just a guess though. Hopefully a Shiver owner will be by to give you a real answer.
    Dear Mardoch, Thank you for your answer. You know, in Viet Nam there is no Aprilia dealer and the frist Owner even don't know how to switch the Speed mode. So i have to do it myself.

I'll show you a picture, can i get your email sothat we can easily keep in touch.

Thank you.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardoch View Post
    Dear Mardoch, Thank you for your answer. You know, in Viet Nam there is no Aprilia dealer and the frist Owner even don't know how to switch the Speed mode. So i have to do it myself.

I'll show you a picture, can i get your email sothat we can easily keep in touch.

Thank you.

apriliaforum Junkie
    I saw 1 wire has a fork: 1 connect with Speedo(as i understand), 1 connect with Exhaust, is this right place to set up Fat DucClick image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	246860

That is the correct plug. You'll be plugging the FatDuc inline with that connection.

If you send PM me your email address I'll email you so that I can help you out more if you need it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast