Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Belt change photo essay for Mana.

You're welcome.
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum newb
    Part numbers for the Mana you can find here:

http://aprilia-mana-850.bplaced.net/ or regarding the Belt-steering: http://aprilia-mana-850.bplaced.net/46.htm

Best regards

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks, Pete.
    same-same with all the above sentiments for putting your blood and guts on display :-)

Thought you might like this link, too:
    http://scootercommunity.com.au/forums/t/17091.aspx

Fantastic to know all that just as info. I've had my 2008 Mana since 2011 - picked it up cheap as a demo, cos no-one would look at an 'automatic' in the Aprilia dealership. Needs replacing the belt in a couple thousand more k's, if I stick to the schedule, and knowledge is a powerful thing Was thinking of selling it recently, but I love the machine so much I don't really want to. I want to be full bottle on what I'm up for, if I keep it, as I'm way past wanting to do my own work, apart from an aircleaner! (Electrical/electronics... yes... )

An Aprilia import agent told me last year to just run the belt until it starts to slip!! He hadn't heard of any breaking, but I don't think the onboard computer will let me run it past its due date, so I think his experience was just scooters.

I haven't been active on any forums, but I think I must be one of only a dozen or so owners in Australia. The Mana never took off here, because of a v. anal retentive attitude to anything oddball - i.e. the 'automatic' tag.
    BTW - I had no idea that 'cunning dunny rats' were heard of outside Aus... ;-)

The only issues I've had with my machine were a sticky ignition cutoff switch, and more seriously, a shredded cooling-pump nylon take-off gear that needed the case opening to replace. Took ages for the whole operation because of, first, waiting for the $2000(aud) case tool that got shared around all the Aprilia shops in our town, and then getting the parts sent from Italy once we knew all we had to order. Of course the Italians went into a 2mth holiday break at that time.... Happened early on - around the 2000km mark, so I've guessed it was a freak 'infant-mortality' breakage and got over it. I'd replace it with an electric pump if it happened again.

Thanks, again
    Dave

I'm a bit of a way from you. I'm just outside Canberra but if you want to ride over I can fling a new belt on for you easily enough. Make a holiday of it

pete

apriliaforum Member Patrick Morin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pete roper View Post
    I'm a bit of a way from you. I'm just outside Canberra but if you want to ride over I can fling a new belt on for you easily enough. Make a holiday of it

pete
    Like across the street !

Благодаря вашему форуму понял почему так туго снимается крышка вариатора. Приехал на сервис (я официальный механик в Украине) мотоцикл Mana 850, заклинил двигатель. Как оказалось проблема в вариаторе. Завтра сниму полностью, могу поделиться фотографиями в чем проблема.

apriliaforum Member Patrick Morin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mechanic View Post
    Благодаря вашему форуму понял почему так туго снимается крышка вариатора. Приехал на сервис (я официальный механик в Украине) мотоцикл Mana 850, заклинил двигатель. Как оказалось проблема в вариаторе. Завтра сниму полностью, могу поделиться фотографиями в чем проблема.
    That guy sure knows what he is talking about! lol....
    Last edited by Patrick Morin; 04-11-2016 at 05:37 PM.

I couldn't agree more........

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue..."

Current bike: 2012 BMW R1200RT
    Previous bikes: 2009 Aprilia Mana, 2009 Piaggio MP3

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Which according to Google Translate means something along the lines of:
    "Thanks to your forum I understand how to remove the tight variator cover. I took my Mana 850 motorbike to an official mechanic in Ukraine. The motor was jammed. As it turned out the problem is the variator. Tomorrow, will take it off completely. I can share the photos in the problem."

Фотографии были бы полезны. Спасибо.

Well that's a lot more lucid than most things from Google Translate!

apriliaforum Member
    This guy is saying that he is an official mechanic in Ukraine and some one brought Mana with a jammed motor for repair. the rest is kinda right.

It is good that all of you are such clever.))) In words.)) Really I the mechanic on Aprilia in Kiev. Now the factory program doesn't work and to look at servis manual there is no opportunity. Didn't start up rubber rings on a pulley, and I wanted to make big efforts having opportunities to glance in the instruction. The problem of the jammed engine has appeared in the untwisted variator pulley nuts. Run of 6000 km. I can precisely tell that haven't qualitatively twirled at plant. If photos are interesting, then I can show as have twirled, and has filmed the dangling nut. Bad quality of assembly at plant. Also there were on other motorcycles factory problems because of defects of plant. Is remarks at me on constructive defects of plant much. Only they to very few people are interesting. The problem for example was on Aprilia RSV 1000, an air suction by the filter and strong wear of valves and the rubbing details at an admission for 3000 km!!!

apriliaforum newb
    Hello Pete, is there also a tutorial on the reprogramming / calibrating the potentiometer part once the belt has been replaced? Can I just find and download Guzzidiag on a window tablet and then get the cable and connect to the bike? I am confused about what type of cable I would need and connection, can you advise? I am fairly clear on the mechanical steps and totally agree on the sliders, if they aint broke don't touch them, just blow the dust out and good for another 20K. Thank you very much. Also, what about PADS?

PADS is the factory tool, only available to dealers and generally it's crap. The only thing I use it for is Manas and 7SM Guzzis.

You can just download Guzzidiag and DONATE, a lot of work has gone in to it. The Lonelec cables are the most reliable and download the W5AM drivers from the site, don't use the ones supplied with the cables.

There is one diagnostic plug for both ECU and TCU, a cable for any bike that uses the same two pin plug will work I believe.

Links to both Guzzidiag and cable suppliers are on the Guzzidiag threads on both Wildguzzi and Griso ghetto.

apriliaforum newb

Thank you.

Mr. Roper,
    I can not thank you enough for the "Belt Change Photo Essay for Mana". Even though I'm a fair mechanic I did not feel good about trying this belt change blind, your pictures and instructions make all the difference. I'll still need to take the bike to a semi-local shop the have the computer relearn the new belt but this will save lots of money by doing most of the work myself.
    The "Mr." was meant as a term of respect, you deserve it. Thank you again.
    Sincerely,
    Doug

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast