Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Belt change photo essay for Mana.

Quote Originally Posted by acworthpatrick View Post
    I was flipping through the Honda manual and they also sell a special tool to spread that rear pulley and I've gotten by without that just working the belt in so I will employ the same tactics on the Mana.
    Thanks again for taking the time to do the photo essay Pete, it really helped clear up alot of things for me.
    Let us know how the job goes without using the TOOL.

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650 ABS (current)
    1987 Harley Davidson Lowrider Sport (current)
    2009 Aprilia Mana
    2006 Suzuki SV 650
    1984 Yamaha Virago
    1975 Yamaha YZ80 - 1972 Honda Z50 - 1971 Honda QA50

apriliaforum Member
    Will do man - I will try to do a short video on how I work the belt back into the pulley to share.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    fuckin' tits, this was amazingly useful just from a LET'S LOOK AT THE GUTS OF THE BIKE I OWN perspective. thanks tremendously, pete!
    --
    2014 aprilia tuono v4r
    2014 triumph tiger 800xc

apriliaforum newb
    Hello; new Mana owner, 2010 850 gt. Just got the gear, rain mode and red light as noted here earlier. Shut down and restarted and no further problem. Bike is new to me, 2900 miles and has probably sat for a while. Is there any more feedback around on greasing the variator threads?
    Thanks for listening, love this bike.
    airheadbruce

Next time I have one in for a belt change I'll cover it but that may be a while coming. Sorry

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum newb
    Hey, Thank you for replying. I did searches here and appreciate your answering my newby question. I guess I am unsure as to whether the variator needs to be disassembled or just taken off the shaft. Disassembly will require that "special" tool to compress the spring
    Again, thanks..

Also before the front variator hub is re-installed it is important to grease the threads between the 'Driven' part of the hub.

And the inner hub containing the 'Sliding Blocks'

Failure to do so will result in eventual galling and possible seizure. This is the usual cause of 'Gear' errors on the dash.

Pete
    Last edited by pete roper; 12-10-2013 at 02:05 AM.

apriliaforum Member
    Pete

Just to add an observation to your last comment I had a number of the "Gear" in the first 11,000 mile of using the Mana (I didn't even get to 12,000 before I got locked into Rain mode). Since the belt change I have not had any repeats of the "Gear" (unless I have caught the gear lever unintentionally), which makes me think when the bike was built it probably lacked the lubrication or the torque setting was wrong (I think this was mentioned in another thread).

2008/9 models seemed to be particularly prone to this issue of un-greased threads. Later models seem to be better on the whole but I'm sure that if you ride a lot in cooler, damper conditions or I areas where the roads are salted a lot it may exacerbate the issue. The whole belt cavity is air cooled after all and the filtration of incoming air is, errr? 'Rudimentary'. Any wet or muck will degrade what little grease there is in that area as it isn't 'Sealed' per-se. Lubricating it though is one of those 'Goldilocks' things, not too little, not too much. I use zinc based anti-seize applied with a brush and don't stuff the threads full, just cover them in a thin film plus a bit extra. Then before re-installing the hub I'll wind it all the way in and remove it again to make sure any excess isn't going to squeeze out and risk getting flung about.

Because of the location of the threads its unlikely than any that does get flung off will end up on the belt and its not like its spinning around at a zillion miles per hour but common sense dictates you don't want to risk anti-seize getting on belts or pulleys.

Pete

apriliaforum Member
    Pete

You talk about damper conditions. I ride all the year round and every ride this winter was wet. I also ride through chalk downs with sandy top soil. The two combine to make a cement. It plays havoc with the pads and callipers. I think this has caused problems with the swing arm and the foot operated gear selector.

My bike was registered in March 2010 so may well have been produced in 2009 with respect to the greasing of the threads.

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Pete, I would just like to personally thank you, I didn't finish the job today thanks to that recalcitrant pile of feces that is PADS but your write up is infinitely better than the last two that I did by the book. Btw, no special tool required to spread rear pulley and install new belt, only channeling hate and anger, a pair of rags and a Red Bull slammed moments before the aneurism causing force required of your hands to extent to work against the contra spring. I radically misquoted this job and included valve adjust in the five hours of labor...I know what my future holds tomorrow! I think a five hour quote is fair for belt alone since the PADS part alone has taken 6 unsuccessful attempts thus far and 99% of PADS time is sitting and waiting in the hottest corner of the shop for a supposedly fast device to do a very simple job.

Id id like to add a hint for the cheapos in our midst. It is rather easy with the right picks to pry open the rubber seal without damaging it and re grease the large main bearing...the things back orders can teach us, it went back together perfectly, oh and yes, despite not tearing the o-rings they were as lose as a a ten dollar knock shop cougar.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Without saying too much PADS is a bit of a disappointment isn't it? For shit like Mana reprogramming I still find myself reaching for Navi which is in it self a fairly shitty tool, (Likewise for Cali 1400's!) for anything else Guzzi apart from the New single TB V7's I simply go to Guzzidiag. Its much simpler, much quicker, it always works and it can even 'Un-Brick' lots of Bricked ECU's! What's not to like?

Glad it was helpful Micah.

Pete

apriliaforum newb
    Dear Pete, Happy holidays.... I really appreciate your tutorial.

Has Aprilia change the 13,000 miles belt-maintenance-schedule for 2013 Manas Gt ABS? This is what I was told recently. Does this means that if the belt looks nice I should leave it and wait until say another 13000 miles or so?
    I heard from an Aprilia service tech that the new Mana GT does not have slider blocks and that the maintenance schedule for the belt has been changed. Is this true? That he would open to see the belt and if the belt does not show considerable signs of wear that he would not change it, that he would only change the parts that need change like a broken sliding block. However, I called another store and they told me that only the belt needed to be changed because the maintenance guide is for the older models and scooters not the electronic transmission. That electronic transmission does not have sliding blocks.

My user manual calls for SBlocks them to be replaced. This is very confusing, the last thing I want is to have someone telling me that there are no sliding blocks because the new Mana transmission has an electrical actuator; and then have another person at an aprilia store telling me otherwise. If I am going to spend a considerable amount of money to change the belt I want to make sure the Aprilia mechanic knows what he is doing. It seems that not many Aprilia stores have certified Aprilia mechanics, at least not certified in Mana Gt's.

One last thing, would you please enumerate what exactly are the parts to be changed in a 2013 model. From you tutorial I understand that the Sliding Blocks are to be changed only if they are broken, what about O-rings or anything other than the belt?

May you and your loved ones have a happy new year!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Caribano View Post
    Dear Pete, Happy holidays.... I really appreciate your tutorial.

Has Aprilia change the 13,000 miles belt-maintenance-schedule for 2013 Manas Gt ABS? This is what I was told recently. Does this means that if the belt looks nice I should leave it and wait until say another 13000 miles or so?
    I heard from an Aprilia service tech that the new Mana GT does not have slider blocks and that the maintenance schedule for the belt has been changed. Is this true? That he would open to see the belt and if the belt does not show considerable signs of wear that he would not change it, that he would only change the parts that need change like a broken sliding block. However, I called another store and they told me that only the belt needed to be changed because the maintenance guide is for the older models and scooters not the electronic transmission. That electronic transmission does not have sliding blocks.

My user manual calls for SBlocks them to be replaced. This is very confusing, the last thing I want is to have someone telling me that there are no sliding blocks because the new Mana transmission has an electrical actuator; and then have another person at an aprilia store telling me otherwise. If I am going to spend a considerable amount of money to change the belt I want to make sure the Aprilia mechanic knows what he is doing. It seems that not many Aprilia stores have certified Aprilia mechanics, at least not certified in Mana Gt's.

One last thing, would you please enumerate what exactly are the parts to be changed in a 2013 model. From you tutorial I understand that the Sliding Blocks are to be changed only if they are broken, what about O-rings or anything other than the belt?

May you and your loved ones have a happy new year!!!
    Mate, with the greatest respect why the fuck should l? I can't pull part numbers out of thin air. Do you want me to sit down and trawl through the incredibly slow and inefficient Piaggio parts site and list all the bits you might require? And if I did, would you buy them from me? After that if you got them fitted by some other numb-nuts and it all turned to shit? Would that be my fault?

Look. The tutorial is up there at the top of the page. If you or whoever you use to fix your bike can't figure it out from the Rest? Well, I'm sorry, but I can't serve it up with a cherry on top or fix your motorbike over the Internet. Get the blokes you want to do the job to do their research. Yes, you'll pay for it. But unless they really are cretins it should be within their ken.

Pete

apriliaforum newb
    Thank you.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast