Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Belt change photo essay for Mana.

Tuscon is on the list. We'll probably be there early June. Always happy to meet new people.

My own feeling is people have a greater understanding of their vehicles they are less likely to stuff up but most importantly it means that they have a better idea what might be a problem if they bring it to me to fix and that makes my life a shitload easier. Of they can describe what the symptoms might indicate its a lot easier than having someone who just says. "My motorbike made a funny noise and stopped."

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Thank you Pete.

Oh, one other thing I meant to include but forgot was this comparison pic of the old and new belts.

I know its not the best quality but if you squint you can make out the difference in width of the belts. It really isn't very much! This is something that shows exactly how sensitive the wear potentiometer must be and how accurately the TCU must have to interpret its signal. That being the case it is obvious why re-calibrating the potentiometer is such a vital function when the whole sorry business has been apart for inspection and belt replacement.

Pete.

Well done, Pete. For those doing this service themselves, Pete also wrote up a nice piece about using the Navigator to retrain the TCU here: LINKY LINK
    "Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue..."

Current bike: 2012 BMW R1200RT
    Previous bikes: 2009 Aprilia Mana, 2009 Piaggio MP3

apriliaforum Member
    Just got back from freezing New York and catching up. What a great prize. Thanks Pete.

I know I often come across as a grumpy bastard and I'll happily admit that I can't stand fools who won't take responsibility for their own actions, especially if they try to lay the blame elsewhere, I do thoroughly enjoy doing stuff like this if it helps people have a better understanding of how their machines work. Its not like doing this is ever going to make me money but if it helps owners or other mechanics who are unfamiliar with what is in reality a rather rare and peculiar little bike? Yes, I freely admit I get a kick out of that.

I have the advantage of having the hardest years of my working life behind me. Financially I'm secure and my business, although a vital source of income for Jude and I still, is not one where I have to bust a gut to pay a bank or make ends meet. Yes, I'm extra-ordinarily lucky. If I can share some of that luck? Well? Who lives better than me?

I really like most of the Piaggio bikes but my lifelong love of Guzzis and unreserved admiration of particularly the Mana means that I get a lot of personal enjoyment from this sort of thing. My motives are entirely selfish .

Pete

Wow! Thank you Pete!

By the way, "dirty great fuck-off tool of awesomeness that costs a lot of money" is the greatest name for a tool ever! I enjoy your writing style!

apriliaforum newb
    Pete, this all looks pretty vital to keep things right but how much is a Bike Shop going to skip by if doing a belt replacement ? Is this all part of
    mandatory procedure for proper service or have you done more than we might expect if paying them ?

Sorry? I don't understand the question?

I believe that inspecting/replacing the sliding blocks is recommended. I don't think there is an 'Early' specified interval for going into the pins in the clutch hub? I just did because my bike is now up to 50,000km and since nobody else has posted about what the condition of them might be I decided 'In for a Penny? In for a pound'. Now we know that, providing they are all done as well as mine at the factory you don't need to go in there at every belt change.

As I said. Look at the sliding blocks from outside the hub. It'll be obvious if they a close to going tits-up.

As for what would a 'Bike Shop' would do? Well? I'm a 'Bike Shop' and I'd do whatever I thought was necessary. Why assume that your shop would cut corners or not do the right thing? If you do it right you get return custom. If you don't you go broke and your reputation is in tatters.

If you think your shop might need a bit of help? Point them towards my photo essay. All they can do is ignore it.

Pete

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Strick View Post
    Wow! Thank you Pete!

By the way, "dirty great fuck-off tool of awesomeness that costs a lot of money" is the greatest name for a tool ever! I enjoy your writing style!
    Yes I think the official name should be changed for this tool!!!! Awesomeness Pete!

After seeing all that work, I feel as though I was dealt with fairly by local Aprilia dealer for a belt change. I think he charged me for less than 6 hours. And he said the Aprilia tool doesnt work anyway.
    Dan
    Noli nothis permittere te terere
    1964 Vespa VBB, 2009 Vespa GTV 250, 2009 Stella 2T, 2009 Aprilia Mana 850, 1975 BMW R75/6, 1984 Moto Guzzi LeMans 3

Well, it does. If you leave the bolts through the spreader bridge in it won't spread the pulley. I think that they are mainly there to hold the tool together when its not being used so you don't loose any of it . It does work though.

As I've said I'm sure you can work around it and change the belt without the tool or make up your own tool to do the job. Its just that if you want to pull the whole wretched clutch hub apart and change the belt the tool makes it easy.

Certainly the belt change and transmission 'overhaul' if you want to call it that is one of the major 'Maintenance' tasks on the Mana but doing the valve lash is actually a bigger pain in the arse as you have to take half the bike to bloody bits to get at the rear pot and I hate that but its only every 30,000 Km and when I did mine at the same time as my first belt change they were all spot on which enraged me even further! Apart from those two items though in terms of the motive unit it is virtually maintenance free! Oil and filter changes, coolant once in a blue moon and that's it! Compare it to many modern bikes and its an absolute snip. Also because it is a simple SOHC engine design with forked rockers and screw and locknut valve lash adjusters there are no special tools required for changing the valve clearances as there are with most DOHC motors like the Shiver or RSV-4/Tuono. It really is a sweet, gentle little thing with comparatively low running costs IMHO.

Pete

apriliaforum Junkie
    Hey Pete,

If I want to feel somewhat 'comfortable' the the dealer has the BFT that's necessary, what do I ask him? I'm not sure that referring to it as the BFT will get me too far in the belt replacement arena of the dealer's shop.
    2006 Honda Big Ruckus
    2006 Beo 500 GT ABS #150
    2009 Aprilia Mana 850

As I said, a competent mechanic will be able to work around the spreading the pulley issue without the tool. In fact you can probably do everything without it if you're willing to experiment and use your imagination but the tool makes it easy.

What is necessary is Navigator/Axone/PADS and the ability to use it to retrain the TCU and potentiometer.

Pete

apriliaforum Member
    I was flipping through the Honda manual and they also sell a special tool to spread that rear pulley and I've gotten by without that just working the belt in so I will employ the same tactics on the Mana.
    Thanks again for taking the time to do the photo essay Pete, it really helped clear up alot of things for me.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast