Thread: New highly rated fork seals for the showa fork

New highly rated fork seals for the showa fork

SKF (world known bearing manufacturer (Svenska Kullager Fabriken)) has introduced a new fork seal which has received lots of praise especially from the cross and enduro guys. http://www.skf.com/portal/skf/home/p...ntentId=879358

Here are some videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4H_kiWl2jM
    http://blip.tv/slavens-racing/wp-skf...-stock-4943603

It seems that they are not so easy to find but here and here are at least two companies that stock them for the showa fork.

When I will find them for Öhlins and when It´s time to replace the fork seals I will for sure test them.
    Last edited by deefred; 10-28-2012 at 02:01 PM.
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch. EBC 320mm brake discs
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

apriliaforum prov-nov Motophile's Avatar
    Deefred,

So I take it our Futuras have a Showa 43 series fork? Or is that the diameter?
    2002 RST1000 Futura - Ash Gray/Black, FPR Mod, Airbox Mod, Factory Racing Billet Slave, SpeedBleeders, Bikemaster Heated Grips, FH020AA Mosfet Rectifier. H-Pipe. Yoshimura Exhaust.

43 is the diameter
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch. EBC 320mm brake discs
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

So if I go out and get Showa 43mm fork seals for a different bike they would work? I noticed the link you shared was for a different moto. I suspect the fork seal is universal as long as it's 43mm and for Showa? Sorry for all the questions. Mine are leaking and I want to make the right purchase and not spend a zillion dollars on OEM part numbers.
    2002 RST1000 Futura - Ash Gray/Black, FPR Mod, Airbox Mod, Factory Racing Billet Slave, SpeedBleeders, Bikemaster Heated Grips, FH020AA Mosfet Rectifier. H-Pipe. Yoshimura Exhaust.

apriliaforum expert Robert Borchert's Avatar
    The last links above include one eBay vendor that stocks the 43mm Showa version...and it mentions the aaprilia models.

Hey, it includes the dust seal as well.

Bob

The SKF ones are definitely nice looking! They make good stuff.

For the sake of peoples sanity and their wallets I have included below a cheaper alternative to SKF and the EXACT measurement of the Aprilia Showa Version Fork Seals and a link to Amazon for a fantastic price on them.

Fork Seal Dimensions for Showa Units: 43mm x 54mm x 11mm

Amazon purchase source Non-SKF:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...productDetails

My buddy with the KTM Duke is pretty hot to replace his (barely broken in) seals for those. The Duke has huge amount of stiction in front. The Fut's front end is far smoother. Maybe it's just the weight differential.

I just did my fork oil a month ago. Though our seals won't let the tubes slide quite that easily, with some miles, they will still slide on their own from gravity. Would definitely switch to those SKFs when/if mine leak.

holy hell, 40 bucks for a dust and oil seal? For all the seals I've replaced on all my bikes I've never had stiction as bad as what was shown in that youtube video. And I've never paid more than 45-50 bucks for oil and dust seals, for the set of 4. No way am I spending 80 bucks for seals. At least not for a street bike. If my race bike starts developing some noticeable stiction than maybe but otherwise I'll stick with oe for half the price.
    I'm on the app store! Check out Solitaire: Slide it's free!

Quote Originally Posted by soofle616 View Post
    holy hell, 40 bucks for a dust and oil seal? For all the seals I've replaced on all my bikes I've never had stiction as bad as what was shown in that youtube video. And I've never paid more than 45-50 bucks for oil and dust seals, for the set of 4. No way am I spending 80 bucks for seals. At least not for a street bike. If my race bike starts developing some noticeable stiction than maybe but otherwise I'll stick with oe for half the price.
    For whatever the reason, KTMs seem to be pretty dang tight and in need of this. It takes some serious force to move the front fork off the dime on my Friend's Duke. The Futura is smooth as silk in comparison. Could blame it on spring rate, but the Duke's fork really does feel sticky.

Being something resembling a motard maybe the forks are dirt spec and have tighter seals to prevent contamination?

Quote Originally Posted by soofle616 View Post
    Being something resembling a motard maybe the forks are dirt spec and have tighter seals to prevent contamination?
    Yeah, maybe so.

Except for the seat height (and maybe the seat) and a relative small tank, there's not much that resembles a dirt bike on that thing. All sorts of nice components and shiny machined alloy.

apriliaforum expert Robert Borchert's Avatar
    soofle616,

Man, fork seals have become crazy expensive over the years. AF1 has these OEMS available for $53.98 a pair, and that's just the oil seals. The dust seals are priced individually for another $36 each.

If I do a little math, that's $126 for a complete set of seals (4 pieces). These prices are close to ones I see elsewhere.

Ouch.

I can't see disassembling the forks, and leaving the old wipers in place.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Borchert View Post
    soofle616,

Man, fork seals have become crazy expensive over the years. AF1 has these OEMS available for $53.98 a pair, and that's just the oil seals. The dust seals are priced individually for another $36 each.

If I do a little math, that's $126 for a complete set of seals (4 pieces). These prices are close to ones I see elsewhere.

Ouch.

I can't see disassembling the forks, and leaving the old wipers in place.

Bob
    Gots to pay to play!

Wow, never actually looked at the seals for a fut. Done my RS250, mille, and cbr but that was always with racetech stuff so I guess I probably should have said racetech instead of OE. That's freaking crazy.

Of course now that I say THAT i just checked racetech's site and the seals for the futura are 22 and 35 for the pairs (oil and dust). So still not great but a helluva lot better than oe and cheaper than the new ones.