Thread: Can bad front wheel bearings cause warping brake rotors?

Can bad front wheel bearings cause warping brake rotors?

It's a dumb question, but I'm a little stumped.
    My red Futura's front brakes started pulsing around the same time I got some weird grinding/knocking type vibration in the handle bars. At the time I assumed it was all related to warping rotors.

Got new EBC rotors, the weird feedback didn't go away and now I've got warping rotors again with only a few hundred miles on them. I took the bike back to the shop and they measured the warp and said that they didn't think they could RMA the rotors since it was so slight. They confirmed the "feedback" and said that there was no safety issue.

It seems odd that I'd get 2 sets of warped rotors in such a short time (especially for regular road riding, no hard breaking, no racing, no stoppies, etc)

Any suggestions where to start?

The obvious place to start is checking your wheel bearings. Take the front wheel off and check for play and roughness. They should turn smoothly, without a trace of roughness.

Thanks! Kinda where I thought to start, but I didn't want to pull off the front wheel without a little outside input.

When you replaced the rotors, did you also replace the pads? If not, it would take longer for the old pads to bed-in to the new rotors. The pads may also have some contamination that's resulting in the pulsing. Did you check the old rotors with a dial gauge to see how far out they really are?

Not saying you shouldn't check the bearings. Definitely worth your time (and butt) to pull that wheel. But if the new rotors have the same "feel" as the old ones and they measure within spec, I'd also have a look at the pads. You'll have to pull the calipers anyway to remove the wheel. Pop out the pads and make sure the friction material is still bonded securely to back plates and maybe give them a light sanding on a flat surface (thick pice of glass works).

Brake pads were replaced too.
    Thanks for the info. Looks like I have a new weekend project!