Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally!! My Stelvio is as it should be :-)

Quote Originally Posted by windy View Post
    What's up? don't you like jogging in the rain...

:-(
    To jog would be an amazing achievement, in fact, just to fucking walk would be fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Quote Originally Posted by ARAIHEAD View Post
    To jog would be an amazing achievement, in fact, just to fucking walk would be fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!
    I could have done with your sticks to stop me falling over when I got the fucking bill for my bike :-)
    Budding Authors, check this out. A friends venture.

http://www.stickybooks.co.uk/index.html

It's luverly darn sarf, don't you know.

Little bit of rain in the late evenings to keep our beautiful lawns nice and lush and that's about it.

Honestly, you Northerners never stop moaning
    Honda Crosstourer, Moto Guzzi Stelvio Sold, BMW 1200GS Sold, KTM 450 EXC, Yamaha TMAX 500 sold, Tuono 1000R Factory, Yamaha WR250F Stolen, Tuono 1000 Fighter Crashed, Aprilia Atlantic 500 Blown up, Yamaha Fazer 1000 Sold, Triumph Speed Tripple 955i Sold, Suzuki GSXR750 Sold, Montessa 305 Sold, Yamaha XJR1200 Sold, BMW K75 Sold after 1 week, Hardley 1200 Sold, Montessa 250 Stolen, Kawasaki GPX750R Sold, Yamaha XJ 600 Crashed, Yamaha RD350 Stolen, Suzuki TS250 Sold, Suzuki GS125 Sold, Suzuki AP50 Crashed Crashed Sold

I've finally bought a Honda

Quote Originally Posted by Harry H View Post
    Little bit of rain in the late evenings to keep our beautiful lawns nice and lush and that's about it.
    Much more of the wet stuff and it'll be fucking seaweed not lawn, mind you H, I bet you've got a gadget somewhere in your garage to cut seaweed... :-)

On the Englandshire side of the Welsh Border
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry H View Post
    Honestly, you Northerners never stop moaning
    yeah.....it's pretty good for this time of year....

apriliaforum newb
    44mpg isn't too bad, it was a spirited ride in the twisties and some around town riding and I'm told Guzzies improve the mpg with age/milleage.
    Wow. 44 is amazing: I'd love to see that. My 2008 Griso 8V generally does from mid 20s to low 30s (the dash reading, mpUSg?).

The guzzi ticks all the boxes for me I just got a bad one
    You too?
    There were definitely Grade C bikes that came out of the factory, for sure. That situation has been and is made worse by Piaggio UK having no dealerships; or useless, caveman, temporary dealers/service agents (we are now up to 7 different operations here in as many years); plus Piaggio UK simply don't understand Customer Service and continue to shoot themselves as well as their customers in the foot. Ouch.

However your bike is a newish one? I would have thought that they should be coming out of the factory in a sorted state by now?

Looking forward to a run this weekend with my Bro and his wife but looking at the weather it may be a non starter :-(
    Prophetic? I've just had a quick look around and was it you posted in another thread about aiming to go out with your brother and you did have a non-start incident, but not due to the weather, rather due to, erm, non-start?

I've had the intermittent non-start issue with the Griso from new. I'll post a reply in that thread in case it's helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by belfastguzzi View Post
    Wow. 44 is amazing: I'd love to see that. My 2008 Griso 8V generally does from mid 20s to low 30s (the dash reading, mpUSg?).

You too?
    There were definitely Grade C bikes that came out of the factory, for sure. That situation has been and is made worse by Piaggio UK having no dealerships; or useless, caveman, temporary dealers/service agents (we are now up to 7 different operations here in as many years); plus Piaggio UK simply don't understand Customer Service and continue to shoot themselves as well as their customers in the foot. Ouch.

However your bike is a newish one? I would have thought that they should be coming out of the factory in a sorted state by now?

Prophetic? I've just had a quick look around and was it you posted in another thread about aiming to go out with your brother and you did have a non-start incident, but not due to the weather, rather due to, erm, non-start?

I've had the intermittent non-start issue with the Griso from new. I'll post a reply in that thread in case it's helpful.
    Hi, and welcome to the forum.

For the moment my bike is starting and running just fine, there is a very good Guzzi dealer about 70 miles from me, Moto Strada, I've known Jason for some years and he looked after my aprilia. I'm pretty sure he was trained as a guzzi tech from his days with Cobb & Jagger. He's been a great help, he did say that with the maintenance relay removed there should be no need to do the starter relay mod, we'll see....

Very busy at work so no rides plannned but I would love to get a few 3/400 mile runs before winter sets in..

Good to have more input, keep posting.

windy

Quote Originally Posted by belfastguzzi View Post
    What map #68 or GRS8VO3? Guessing the Stelvio has a different map as well as 2 O2's vs 1? Just starting to read up on this mapping and 02 stuff Pete talks about, 44mpg is good.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdawg View Post
    What map #68 or GRS8VO3? Guessing the Stelvio has a different map as well as 2 O2's vs 1? Just starting to read up on this mapping and 02 stuff Pete talks about, 44mpg is good.
    It's the 68.
    As it happens, someone else has posted elsewhere about their Griso SE. More modern than my bike of course, but they're getting similar consumption to me. My tank range is around 110 miles, 120 at a push.

At legal-ish speeds I can get very close to 300 km from my tank on my bike which is the same model as Dave's The problems with Dave's stem from it having been butchered very early in the piece by an idiot. I actually sent him my Axone fromOz so he could try and get the setup right but a lot of stuff had been screwed with and it's never run right since.

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum newb
    It's definitely running much better since the resetting. The other factor that must affect fuelling and mileage is the open pipe – and I suppose it will never be quite right when running with that unrestricted pipe, however I've decided to live with it. I've a smaller outlet on it and I did put a narrower, longer baffle pipe in it (temporarily) when I had to take it for MOT. Of course the sacred screw was screwed early on and it will never be back the way it should be, but the Axone (and a balancer) allowed me to get a much better set-up all round. There have been lots and lots of problems, as Pete says, not caused by me. That's pretty maddening, particularly because I can never be sure just what state the internals are in: and there has been nasty rubbish coming out in the oil. However I'll be a lot happier if the non-start issue proves cured now by the re-wire mod. Unreliability out on the road is one of the worst things.

I'm out of touch with news and topics on various Forums over the past year or so. Having had a bit of a quick look around here, I see from Pete's posts that things have moved on and there have been a number of updates to the 1200 motor making it more sorted and possibly better performing now. My misfortune really stems from getting the very first iteration (pre-iteration?). In retrospect, that was unwise.

In a way, I could be envious of the later/better models, however... as long as the motor is not seriously damaged and as long as it runs reliably, I can fix, repair, modify the various items and issues and in reality, the performance differences are not important. There may be a smidgen of theoretical difference due to better fuelling or a few more horses, but out on the road I've never found any drastic real-life differences due to that sort of thing. The much bigger difference is due to the rider and the bigger fundamentals of the nature of the machine: ultimately if I wasn't happy with the performance, the really simple solution would be to get a sports bike, rather than fretting over a few horsepower here and there on a lardy Moto Guzzi.

Individuality in machines can be desirable. As long as they are not ultimately terminal, overcoming setbacks in a bike can develop the character of the thing... if you know what I mean?
    Last edited by belfastguzzi; 08-08-2012 at 07:16 PM.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by pete roper View Post
    At legal-ish speeds I can get very close to 300 km from my tank on my bike which is the same model as Dave's The problems with Dave's
    That's difficult to comprehend, Pete! 186 miles! Of course I believe you, but it must be due to the nature of your roads/traffic and the type of journeys you do. I don't know, but I imagine you are doing longer runs, possibly on longer and more straight road sections? Here, in my normal usage, there are a lot of short sections, a lot of junctions, stops, starts, gear changes, traffic lights and short trips.

For me, there is a big difference when I change to the 750 Aprilia. In the same situation, it's delightful and still a bit surprising to see 50mpg on the display, rather than, say, 30mpg on the Griso.

BTW, thanks again for the 'equipment'. It made a huge difference in various ways and got me (and especially the bike) out of a deep hole, for sure.

Thanks guys! Breaking in a bone stock black devil, seeing around 27 and figured it'd get better after the first service. Out of the box fueling is pretty good, a little flat spot around 3k but good enough to worry more about ergos.
    maybe the fatduck would work for Dave?

Windy, sorry for the hijack...carry on!
    Last edited by Tdawg; 08-08-2012 at 11:37 PM.

Fuel economy will improve as the bike breaks in but it will never be stellar.

As I keep saying, set-up is vital for full enjoyment of the machine. Top amongst this is correct TB balance and TPS value.

I'm sure I've posted up before the very simple but vital steps needing to be taken to achieve sweet running of the 8V.

There are many hop-ups spruiked for the 8V but I still maintain that you won't get a huge improvement, and even then *Huge* is relative, improvement to torque and HP figures without changing the cam profiles.

Set up correctly, with the stock air box and dB killer in the Termi pipe offered by Guzzi a run- in Griso will produce 104.8 RWHP on my local Dynojet Dyno. I can't find that graph but the one below is the 'Next Best' run from that day. At 850 meters altitude and nearly 30 degrees celcius and low humidity.

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

The only hop-up I want is a well sorted machine and a pleasant growl from the exhaust.
    #1 Forum Magic Missile Caster

"Maybe it's narcissistic but having a motorcycle that no one else is riding can make you feel like it was made especially for you"
    - Alexander George. Road & Track

2007 Moto Guzzi Griso
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65
    1988 Yamaha FZ750 rat bike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12