Page 6 of 165 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: What's in the AF1 Shop (Volume II)

.djm is not a defined attachment file type, you can zip them up first

apriliaforum expert
    This is great!! will be so much help for the guys that have no decent dyno operator access.

Think we should share our maps as well? Or would that add in too much uncertainty and trust issues with the unknown dyno operators?

(for example I could share mine which was done on DynoJet 250i. Bike has 1060 pistons, smaltmoto full system, open airbox lid, and stock head porting)
    part weight comparisons - click here:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...bA&output=html

2000 Yamaha YZ125
    2002 aprilia Caponord
    2007 aprilia RSVR
    2008 KTM 690 SMC / Enduro R

Quote Originally Posted by Micah / AF1 Racing View Post
    I have been meaning to put up an Aprilia mapping list for some time for Dynojet's PCIIIusb and PCV. I am not able to really sort these maps by bike type so you will have to look through mapping "notes" after opening the map in the Control Center software, I am a total fag for writing decent notes with my maps however so finding one close to your bike should be easy enough. I will put all the 1060cc and 1102cc maps in here as well in case you have a big bore bike!
    I think the notes are a GREAT idea, for your own sanity even. Guessing what went where is usually always a bad idea.

Thanks much for the maps share! Looking over your 04 map and comparing to mine Im excited to try it. Similar to what i have but just different enough im hopeful it helps.

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    So are you guys able to see and download the maps, I cannot from home but I am 100% iOS now at home and do not have the Control Center software for my Mac stuff. If so I can add more. I think if I can work out the bugs as Ted Suggested we should probably create a separate thread for the mappings. I have hundreds in total for many brands and types of bikes so the "General Motorcycle Talk" forum makes sense for a location. If not for the loss of a few hard drives in the dyno room (very harsh life for laptops, six month lifespan for most) and if I backed up mappings more often than once a month I might have a thousand total mappings by now...but I don't. I will have to dig a few backup drives out of the fire safes and see what all I do have in total if you guys agree that this is a project idea worth more time invested?

I know I have been slacking on this thread for the last six months or so but I have been in flight school non stop, three times a week recently and not getting home till really late in addition to loosing one of my days off as well. Tonight was 11 unassisted landings in gusting 14-20kt winds as much as 40 degrees off the nose...major fun and a bit of terror really. Need to be über ready for Sunday, which weather willing and it looks like it is, will be my solo. I am over 20 hours of current flight time and past the written and stage checks so it gets quite a bit easier after Sunday, I also switch from rental 172's to my Cessna 150M in the next week...which saves huge money! I got to take Aiden, the ten year old mini terror on a flight with my instructor recently which was pretty awesome, turns out that after all his beggin to go on a "fun" flight with stalls and such he did not like stalls or turbulence or crosswind landings nearly as much as he thought he would! Little dude was a trooper though, never admitting he was airsick until well after we landed, I could tell with only a glance into the back seats but he kept his shit together and only cried out once in terror during a full throttle high angle stall, I though that was pretty awesome of him.

This flying stuff is more fun than almost anything I have done but the process of EARNING your lisence is demanding and not cheap. There are few things in life however more satisfying than putting a plane on the ground safely in challenging conditions, in smooth air it is pretty drama free however Texas heat (105F when I took off tonight) combined with Gulf winds and extreme thermals are a game changer. Good times, and you guys are the ones I have to thank for it all!
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Congrats on your accomplishments Micah. I'll be going down that path one day soon when I am done with school.

In the meantime, I have a sick Futura. I bought this bike for a decent price. It had stain tunes and a power commander 3 already installed. It has a bad stumble at around 6000 rpm but then cleans out and runs fairly strong. Other than that stumble, the bike is in very good shape. It is a shame for it to be buggered up.

I have now acquired a cable to link with the ECU to see what map is actually on the bike. We have only one dyno up here, it is in a Harley shop. I don't trust those guys too well. They don't know anything about Italian bikes. I am pretty much at your mercy.

If you have any updated Futura maps with those mods, they would be greatly appreciated.
    While alive, he lived!
    2001 Aprilia Futura (given to my eldest son)
    2002 Aprilia Caponord (gone to a great friend)
    2007 Aprilia SXV550- whoa nellie, gone but not forgotten, damn trouble maker

Current Bikes:
    2002 Aprilia Mille R
    2003 Aprilia Tuono Magnet Grey
    2017 KTM 250XC
    2017 KTM 250XCF
    2005 Yamaha FJR1300
    2001 Yamaha TTR125 modified.
    2003 Kawasaki KDX200
    1975 Yamaha TY80 Trials

Micah you should look at a service like Crash Plan or Carbonite that auto backsup data to the cloud. You set when you want it to back up, say 11PM every day, and it will. That way when your hard drive takes a crap, you still have all the data, even if you forgot to back up locally. There are free versions and ones that cost a few bucks a month.
    The Duke
    President
    Raoul Duke Media LLC
    www.rumblestripradio.com

Solo on Sunday? Nice accomplishment there!
    Bikes:
    2007.5 Tuono-Black, with 1102cc's of micah's badness!
    2012 Griso-Silver and black, Agostini pipe, some carbon bits.
    2006 Vespa GT200-bitubo suspension all around, Malossi big-bore, head and cam, Akrapovic pipe, all put together by Micah.

gone 2002 Caponord-Oyster gray (as faithful as a hound dog)
    gone Futura-Red (on the AF1 showroom floor. Get some.)

The more I learn about people, the more I appreciate rocks.

Take off at 18:30 with instructor, do a few practice runs, drop off instructor, switch my Com frequencies to allow talk directly back to instructor....take off again, if all goes well there will be a series of three full stop landings and takeoffs in a row and after that I move onto to the second and much more fun phase of flight training for cross country and short field work...very excited, headed to pool to chill out for a bit tonight and try to sleep well and late to be fully ready for tomorrow. Having finished ground school, written and solo only about 20 more hours are required, the rest in my plane, and then onto final with FAA check ride inspector and the final oral exam. This has been a long process and I am only half to two thirds the way through the process for the full license now but the pace should pick up once this section is passed. The next flights are longer, cross country types of 50-150 miles at a time, navigating to unfamiliar airports and conditions from coastal to 3k feet base elevation and additional night training. The cost goes way down from here as I am only paying the instructors time and my fuel and maintance costs instead of rental Cessan 172's plus instruction time at at $129/hour for the plane rental. My plane burns about 6 gallons per hour compared to 11-12 gph on the rental.

I am sure when I look over to the empty seat tomorrow for reassurance I will be freaked out to find it empty but I as of now and for the last couple of weeks I have been thrilled at the prospect. I thought I was a little behind getting to my solo at 18.6 hours of current flight time, but it turns out I am doing ok. I owe an additional debt of gratitude to both my woman and my crew at work for making possible the time to peruse my dream as well as to my instructor who has been excellent to work with and to Bob for convincing me that the Cessna 150 was the plane for me to buy at this juncture, 22 years removed from my previous flight training in a complex high performance 200mph Beechcraft. It took multiple weeks just to break habits I thought I had long forgotten from flying a fast plane, thankfully so much of the actual airmanship is the same as I apparently remember from growing up flying with my dad in that V35 with the big motor and clean aerodynamics.

Growing up in an aviation family this is one step closer to completion of a lifelong dream. I was three weeks away from getting my license back in the early 1990's when my dad sold the Beechcraft for a whopping $8600. The current owner of that plane is willing to sell it back to me for about $60k but I simply am not in that tax bracket nor do I need a plane that fast at this stage. He is in no rush to sell however and we have come to a sort of agreement about a process to get it back in the next five years if I choose to buy it. My going on 101 year old grandmother who at one time owned over five aircraft at once including a Stinson and a Beechcraft Staggerwing is beggin me to "hurry up and finish you license and get that plane up to Lubbock Texas so she can fly again, after all I am over a hundred years old, I don't want to die until I have flown with you"...what an awesome lady.

I have been waiting for this day for almost 23 years now, glad to have you guys along for the ride. Layla is coming with me to the airport tomorrow with camera in tow to document either a spectacular failure or success for me, here is to hoping for the best and fearing the worst not in the least. We all die one day, but only some of us are lucky enough to truly live!

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

It will be Great Success! It really will. Have a good solo.
    Bikes:
    2007.5 Tuono-Black, with 1102cc's of micah's badness!
    2012 Griso-Silver and black, Agostini pipe, some carbon bits.
    2006 Vespa GT200-bitubo suspension all around, Malossi big-bore, head and cam, Akrapovic pipe, all put together by Micah.

gone 2002 Caponord-Oyster gray (as faithful as a hound dog)
    gone Futura-Red (on the AF1 showroom floor. Get some.)

The more I learn about people, the more I appreciate rocks.

Sounds terrific, Micah. I wish nothing but success in attaining the license.
    '03 Black/Silver
    ARROW CF slip-ons & chip
    Genuine Aprilia Falco Luggage (panniers)
    Puig Dark Smoke touring screen (thanks Mfed)
    Ohlins shock....not installed (yet)

“An intelligent person can rationalize anything, a wise person doesn't try.”
    ― Jen Knox

Well the forecast is looking really unpromising now...pressure dropping, storms moving quickly into the area from the south...so etching very rare around here, most come from the north. We are already starting to feel the effect very mildly of the tropical storm about to hit the Yucitan. If there is rain or downdraft ing in the area the solo will have to wait....the wait is making me crazy!

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Especially crazy since two tropical systems in a row are headed this way...and I have to leave next Saturday night for four days in Arkansas. If all else fails I will skip out of work early a couple of days this coming week and get it done.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Weather could go either way...good news is temps have dropped A LOT in last few hours...bad news dew point and temp are about the same so carb heat will be required! I have used it on every landing so far but not once because it was needed!

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Good luck, Micah! If you can do it in your sleep, it'll be natural in reality.
    A mind is like a parachute: It doesn't work if it isn't open. FZ

When dictatorship is a fact, revolution becomes a right. Victor Hugo

So, the fear of death might be described as the fear of not being able to become whom one had planned to be. Pascal Mercier

Done and done, drama free. Weather cleared above minimums with thirty minutes to go before the assigned time. Layla came down to lend a hand or to watch and offer moral support. The instructor and I took the 172 around the pattern for five touch and go landings and on the fifth landing I hear as we roll down the runway and I reach over to firewall the throttle to get back into the air, "nope, enough, give me a ride back over the the school, I am done flying with you today, today is yours, have fun and call on the radio if you freak or have questions"...no need to tell me twice.

You always hear as a student pilot that there is this hellish moment just after liftoff on the solo where you freaking lose it, the moment comes shortly after the planes wheels leave earth and the nose is high to the sky, this is a fairly effortless section of the takeoff and if you are trimmed right you have plenty of time to think which apparently causes most folks to look over at the empty seat to their right, which has never been empty before, and they lose it or get very anxious. I did not have any such issue and was honestly far more nervous in the days leading up to the flight than on the actual flights. Around the landing pattern or airport three times and to a full stop on each landing. Each landing was within ten feet of the centerline of the runway (2 were dead on top of it) and only the slightest ground effect bounce on the first, all landings were within 20-50 feet of target on runway, all stops fully controlled and all returns to the air drama free even in what became a sky with quite a bit of traffic in it.

All landings were in a non gusting crosswind at 20-30 degrees off the nose but only at 8kts so control response was very predictable and I greased at least two of the three landings on both rear tires with ZERO perceptible crab angle on the runway, the first was a single wheel (rear of course) at a time landing which was not so pro looking or feeling, the final landing my best to date with actual touchdown so gentle that I was not 100% sure I was rolling instead of cruising out out the last few inches of ground effect....huge smile since I felt I was learning on my own at that point having used a technique I had only read about to bleed speed over the runway and not tried before, trying on solo may not have been best idea ever but it worked as advertised and made for the smoothest landing yet. Total time of training before the solo was 19.1 hours of dual instruction.

I even sounded almost like I knew what I was doing on the radio...and in communicating and ranging my traffic? Odd, who is this guy? I could have done touch and goes for the rest of the day but I only needed three landings and returns to being suspended on air and thrust so I met the requirement and parked the plane....only to get my shirt cut up, and my picture taken. I will have ti go through Layla's memory card on her camera to see what it all looks like, I was way to busy/excited to take pics. I get rated for my Cessna 150 now very soon and also for a new, like literally NEW glass cockpit Cessna in the weeks following that, the time builds quickly from here and scheduling gets much simplified since the coming flights are hours, or days long with multiple stops navigating across Texas. I was told to come up with a list of places I want to see from the air now, cross country time has arrived.

Paperwork, plenty of it followed with a full logbook endorsement for solo and a type rating for the Cessna 172 for VFR flight. Building hours from here to license is going to be much easier and more fun, adding certificates for different planes will come next as well and also for different avionics like the Garmin Glass Panel in the newer rental 172...eventually a high performance, retractable gear and constant speed propellor endorsement will follow before I am even really ready to test out with the FAA if I understand the process correctly and the planes that will soon be available to train in now that the solo is accomplished!

Left feeling like I was floating on air even with feet on the ground, the rear section of my shirt left behind on the walls of the Aviation School. If Layla heard the instructor Emily correctly I am her first student to take from zero to solo since she has been teaching, which has been a couple of years so she seemed very pleased and proud as well. Wanting to hear my the big V12 scream after dinner and the return to house leg of the four wheeled journey I let the throttles rip wide open to full military power getting on the highway at about 11pm....only to be greeted by the built in K40 radar screaming at me, got pulled over of course but the cop I think was so shocked to find a couple of sober folks in the car that even though he had me dead to rights at 17 over the limit he let me go after I told him that "I was sorry, yeah I saw and had advanced radar warning he was coming up but figured it was a night to celebrate speed after solo-ing the airplane finally". He seemed more amused than anything, sort of like me. After getting my performance citation warning I left the scene of the stop at redline, after all why not, I still wanted to hear the big mini Merlin scream!

Thanks to all of you for supporting me/us at AF1 over the years, without you guys I would still be glued to the ground. Thanks to my entire staff for shouldering additional burden while I hit the books and controls twice a week for months now! Thanks to Layla for enjoying the quiet nights when I get home at 10 or later and thanks to CFI Emily McMichael for teaching me so well that I literally felt not for one second over my head during the most intense half hour of my recent life.

Pics finally to follow, have some housework to do today then a lot of editing of both work and life related stuff, got some interesting pics and stories to share here shortly!

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Page 6 of 165 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast