Page 164 of 164 FirstFirst ... 64114154162163164
Results 2,446 to 2,456 of 2456

Thread: What's in the AF1 Shop (Volume II)

apriliaforum expert uberchicken's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah / AF1 Racing View Post
    Just getting a little ecu access can be crazy complicated on modern machines. The look on my face on 25th attempt at connecting to Yamaha R1 when it finally happened.
    Good god you look like you have aged a lot since I seen you. I know that isn't the nicest thing to say but If I saw this picture somewhere else I'm not sure I would have recognized you.
    UBERCHICKEN

2007 Tuono Factory 1060- AF1 Built with all sorts of goodies!

Graph?

Just a little dyno room action from a test recently of the new 900cc Shiver/Dorso motor and a shakedown on an RS125 before it headed home to Mexico. By now you all know how much I love to take pics of Red Hot Pipes on the dyno, the glowing is not really from running lean, it is mainly from the air injection system filling the pipes with fresh air to burn off any unburned fuel from the combustion cycle and play nicely with the catalyzer on the bike. I'll toss in the dyno graph as there has been little talk on the actual power gains of the 900cc motor over the old 750cc motor, Aprilia really isn't advertising just how much more power it really makes, suffice it to say after one ride the ass dyno confirmed nicely. The graph is dead stock 750 vs dead stock 900cc demo bikes. Euro4 definitely is not killing power, for whatever reason they have Piaggio in general is not really making much to do about the gains on the new Guzzi V7III models nor the 900cc twins?
    I don't see the graph?

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uberchicken View Post
    Good god you look like you have aged a lot since I seen you. I know that isn't the nicest thing to say but If I saw this picture somewhere else I'm not sure I would have recognized you.

I probably have but this stupud face fur is not helping me keep youthful looks...nor is the longer hair. Humoring someone for a bit...but I can't stand it personally.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

Quote Originally Posted by ledwrist View Post
    I don't see the graph?
    Odd as it showed up yesterday...will post again?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

apriliaforum expert uberchicken's Avatar

What's in the AF1 Shop (Volume II)

May have been the mood you were in as well
    UBERCHICKEN

2007 Tuono Factory 1060- AF1 Built with all sorts of goodies!

apriliaforum Member
    Oh birthdays, special occasions to remind us either how much time we have spent or have left. My Benz decided to blow a third sidewall in last thousand miles to treat me to some unexpected walking and fresh air, at least it was a pretty day. The car got an alignment recently and I had them rotate tires...which apparently means they installed the rears with a supersized 3/4" drive impact. I have had the front wheels off since then and all those bolts broke free easily...but the rears, literally two tools destroyed now and not one loosened lugnut, car is parks off side of a dirt road 5 miles from house...I gotta get it moved home on spare...so I guess I will take a couple of air tanks and impact guns and sockets home tonight in what is hopefully not yet another vain attempt to remove the wheel bolts. This is frustrating beyond measure...its not like I did'nt have a spare, or tools, or the know-how to change a fucking tire...but these special assholes who put these bolts in...OMG...so pissed right now. Thinking I will meat wife for soul food and a Kool-Aide margarita on way home and then try in desperation yet again to remove the damn wheel and swap to my spare.

So Discount Tire question for you guys: This last round of tires 7k miles ago I was talked into getting their house brand, I have NEVER had a sidewall failure before much less three in a 1 month period. Obviously these tires do not work right with dirt roads despite having fairly generous sidewalls and such. Think there is any chance they would roadhazzard yet another tire without considering allowing me some credit to an upgraded stronger tire? I would obviously be willing to pay the difference and can go to 50-55 series from 45 series and am willing to use an small SUV type tire...I just need the damn thing to not blow out three sidewalls in a month...obviously if they do not allow such a change I just keep getting free tires under warranty, which would be sort of OK-ish if not for issues like this where it has cost me a lot of walking, time, suffering, strained muscles, broken tools and car left on side of road...thoughts?
    I know this is an oldish post, but it sounds like you need a quality portable impact. IMO, the Milwaukee fuel m18 is the best on the market at the moment. I've used mine to take off lug nuts a 3/4" snap on air impact couldn't take off. I don't recommend using it to install lug nuts on a light car or truck though.

apriliaforum expert 2nd Childhood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBandit View Post
    I know this is an oldish post, but it sounds like you need a quality portable impact. IMO, the Milwaukee fuel m18 is the best on the market at the moment. I've used mine to take off lug nuts a 3/4" snap on air impact couldn't take off. I don't recommend using it to install lug nuts on a light car or truck though.
    Back in the early 70's when I worked for Phillips 66, my manager (who worked previously at Firestone) told me to NEVER use an impact wrench when tightening lug nuts on a car with disc brakes, as if done unevenly it could cause problems. Fact or fiction? (I didn't argue with him as a) he was my boss and b) he was much bigger than me)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When I was younger I was afraid I'd die riding. Now that I'm old and falling apart, I'm afraid I won't.

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2nd Childhood View Post
    Back in the early 70's when I worked for Phillips 66, my manager (who worked previously at Firestone) told me to NEVER use an impact wrench when tightening lug nuts on a car with disc brakes, as if done unevenly it could cause problems. Fact or fiction? (I didn't argue with him as a) he was my boss and b) he was much bigger than me)
    It depends on the type of wheel, but mostly true. I only use an impact to snug them up, drop the vehicle on the ground, and then use a torque wrench. The biggest problem with hammering them on with an impact is that it stretches the threads on the lug nuts. They're usually a softer metal than the studs, and when the threads get stretched, you end up on the side of the road needing a 5 foot breaker bar and lots of elbow grease. Or you end up destroying a wheel because the nuts self loosened while driving.

So in short, don't put lug nuts on with an impact.

I am a big believer in the torque wrench method as are both the maker of the car and the wheels (OZ). I have since loosened and retorqued all the wheel fasteners touched by Discount Tire. I will confess that only that one wheel was THAT tight, I mean like special hateful tight. Impact guns are brilliant if the user knows how to use them but they are never a torque wrench.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

apriliaforum expert
    Aja - When all my dime dancin' is through
    I use a Ryobi battery impact wrench, with adjustable torque. Put them on at the lightest setting, then torque wrench to spec.

Makes for an easy dismount.

I have purpose-made specific impact sockets, after exploding a cheaper tool when I was young and callow
    "Frankly sburns, I think that if anybody could radicalize and weaponize stupid it would probably be you." Fendamonkey.
    "
    You're a simpleton that parrots whatever nonsense he reads on the internet." Cokoop

what a nice dyno room!! my compliments!

Micah, could you overlay a 3rd dyno graph from a DD1200?!?!
    ECU tuning and reflashes since 2004!
    www.gabroracingteam.it

Visit my FB page and like it!
    https://www.facebook.com/gabroracingteam

Page 164 of 164 FirstFirst ... 64114154162163164