After nearly 2 months of down time and over $1,000 in parts & tools, the bike is on the road again. Here's what I ended up doing.
- new tires (Dunlop Roadsmart)
- replace warped front rotors & pads (EBC)
- rear wheel bearings
- replace rear drive needle bearings and inner race
- inspect & grease drive shaft & u-joints
- service cush drive
- replace friction disk on cush drive (old one cracked)
- replace lousy cush drive bolts with better ones
- replace reaction rod (used part)
- engine oil/filter, transmission & rear drive fluids
- valve adjustment
Majority of expense was the rotors and tires. Holy cow are rotors expensive! They are a huge improvement though. A deer jumped out in front of me tonight and the stopping power is way better than before. These rotors are supposed to have square drive buttons so the parts don't get out of alignment like always happened with the original Brembos. Time will tell.
The difference in ride quality is very noticeable. Much less drive lash and smoother shifts with the new needle bearings and reaction rod. Needle bearings were a mother fooker to get out, even after I bought a puller. They ended up coming out in pieces. I've lubricated the new ones with Bel-Ray waterproof grease in hopes they will not rust in place like the last set did.
I've put a little over 1,000 miles on the bike in the past week and a half. Heading around the lake to Chicago on Friday.