Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Symptoms of having stator problems?

apriliaforum prov-nov

Symptoms of having stator problems?

As far as I can tell, the issue of the V2 Tuonos having a less than stellar stator are fairly well known. For those of you that definitely have had stator issues, can you share what symptoms you were experiencing?

Over the last few weeks I've had some escalation of (I'm guessing) electrical issues that I'm trying to sort out. It started out that I would notice some hesitation when starting the bike, but it would start. That progressed to the instrument cluster and ECU rebooting while trying to start the bike (in addition to the hesitation), however, the bike would still start up on the 2nd attempt. Then, it all finally culminated in that every time I press the started, the engine cranks over once or so, the ECU reboots, and the bike doesn't start up. Trying again doesn't help.

My battery is about a year old and was periodically trickle charged during the off season. I was rather careful in reconnecting the battery terminals when I got the bike back on the road in April. I'll be double checking the connections anyway to try and eliminate this from the equation.

Are the symptoms I am experiencing likely to be stator related?
    Bike: 2007 Aprilia Tuono 1000 R - Black
    Travellogue: www.mattandcess.com

Your problem is likely either a bad battery or an empty battery due to a bad stator.
    Since you keep the battery on a charger my guess would be the battery. If the battery is OK and you use a charger the bike should start fine and run fine for a while.

Load test the battery and check the stator.
    There is a sticky by the knurl in the 2004 RSV section that describes the stator test procedure.
    'Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticise them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.'

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Wrt the battery, I was only keeping it on the charger periodically during the off-season. During the riding season since I'm riding regularly I generally have never had a need to do so. You're right though, I should check that as well. Thanks for the pointers regarding the stator test procedure.

I had no indication at all ,had done 300 miles over a 7 hour period stopped to go through a toll and the bike would not restart as the battery was flat ,tested at the battery and it was not charging

I had the thing with the dash (instrument cluster) as well but had no hesitation with starting. Well, not until the battery died completely.
    Replaced the battery with AntiGravity one and it's been all well since.

I've had three stators replaced on my Factory. Bike was never properly diagnosed until a bloke from the Netherlands posted this little tidbit of information:If you have a engine no higher than #8176929 you should have the updated rotor (part number AP0296988)

Seems Aprilia likely recognized the problem mid-production and fixed it without going back over previous production. I would suggest checking your engine number and if it's below this, you probably have the 500w generator and you'll likely continue to have electrical problems!

My 2 cents - I'm a bit frustrated because my Smoky Mountains trip is in jeopardy because of a problem that Aprilia likely knew about!

G'day mate, I had a similar prob on my 06' tuono. My charging system was okay, battery okay, but it turned out to be dying starter solenoid.

Over time, the solenoid contacts do become burn't or worn out, reducing the amount of power to your starter motor. As the starter solenoid is sealed you can't see the condition of the contacts. Eventually, the solenoid begins to behave more like a load resistance in it it's own right and eventually fuse or burn out their contacts due to overheating usually from anxious or frustrated owners who are hitting the starter button constantly when things start to go hairy.

The increased load or resistance of the failing solenoid can draw quite a load on the battery which in turn reduces the power to other systems including the efi. Thats why I was getting the engine chuff out and the ecu rebooting each time I hit my starter. When I replaced my solenoid it was like a new bike again. I obviously can't guarrantee you'll get the same result as me, but there is always a process of elimination first with any mechanical/electrical machine.

Remember to always do your basics or the easy stuff first ie. charging system, battery condition etc... and then take a look at that solenoid. As I've read in other posts, you can simply bridge the two heavy terminals on your solenoid and see if the engine turns over a lot better.

Hope this helps and if this info is already somewhere else on this excellent blog site then my apologies for the rambling.

G'day,
    Your symptoms sound very similar to what happened to me.

Have you checked your starter solenoid? Over time the solenoid contacts will pit and burn (inductance arcing) and less power will gradually go to the starter motor. The (dying) solenoid is now behaving like a load resistor in it's own right and can start to get hot too. In turn, this can cause excess load on your battery. This excess load can cause voltage drops across other systems especially the ecu/efi.
    As it gets worse, the rider will normally begin to notice that something is wrong particularly on start up. Sometimes in panic or frustration, he/she will keep pressing the starter button until the bike fires up or until the solenoid's internal contacts completely burn out or melt, or even weld and stick on.
    In my case, I would hit the starter and it felt sluggish and it would try to start but then the engine would chuff out. The ecu would reset itself and on the second or third go it would fire up, but over time it was getting worse even with a brand new battery.
    So I decided to start checking the basics first ie. the charging system, lead connections, battery condition etc... and they checked out fine.

Now, even though my old solenoid was still working at the time, I decided to bridge the heavy terminal posts together to see if the starter was better and it was!!! Note:- ( I wasn't going to check the solenoid at all because in my mind it was engaging the starter motor and it wasn't clicking, therefore, it's obviously working and so it can't be that. It's gotta be something more sinister. Wrong!!! Boy, was I glad that I did bother to check out that deceptive little sucker in the end!!)

So I put a new one on and wow!!!! it was like a new bike again.

The bike dealer I went to buy the new solenoid from had said he has sold heaps of them over the years to all sorts of bikes. The starter solenoid is a wear and tear item, but I believe you can lengthen the life of the solenoid by putting a (snubber) across the contacts, but that maybe a new thread?.
    Now, nobody can guarantee that it will be your solenoid as it was for my bike, but it's worth a good look at if all the other basic checks turn out okay. Cheers.
    "I'll be back...... to do another wheelie"

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by tuononator View Post
    G'day,
    Your symptoms sound very similar to what happened to me.

Have you checked your starter solenoid? Over time the solenoid contacts will pit and burn (inductance arcing) and less power will gradually go to the starter motor. The (dying) solenoid is now behaving like a load resistor in it's own right and can start to get hot too. In turn, this can cause excess load on your battery. This excess load can cause voltage drops across other systems especially the ecu/efi.
    As it gets worse, the rider will normally begin to notice that something is wrong particularly on start up. Sometimes in panic or frustration, he/she will keep pressing the starter button until the bike fires up or until the solenoid's internal contacts completely burn out or melt, or even weld and stick on.
    In my case, I would hit the starter and it felt sluggish and it would try to start but then the engine would chuff out. The ecu would reset itself and on the second or third go it would fire up, but over time it was getting worse even with a brand new battery.
    So I decided to start checking the basics first ie. the charging system, lead connections, battery condition etc... and they checked out fine.

Now, even though my old solenoid was still working at the time, I decided to bridge the heavy terminal posts together to see if the starter was better and it was!!! Note:- ( I wasn't going to check the solenoid at all because in my mind it was engaging the starter motor and it wasn't clicking, therefore, it's obviously working and so it can't be that. It's gotta be something more sinister. Wrong!!! Boy, was I glad that I did bother to check out that deceptive little sucker in the end!!)

So I put a new one on and wow!!!! it was like a new bike again.

The bike dealer I went to buy the new solenoid from had said he has sold heaps of them over the years to all sorts of bikes. The starter solenoid is a wear and tear item, but I believe you can lengthen the life of the solenoid by putting a (snubber) across the contacts, but that maybe a new thread?.
    Now, nobody can guarantee that it will be your solenoid as it was for my bike, but it's worth a good look at if all the other basic checks turn out okay. Cheers.
    Thanks for that advice, I hadn't considered that. I did an initial check of the electrical system, even with a freshly charged battery (grabbed battery from my 2nd bike) the bike barely started up (batt voltage was 12.7V+!!). Once it was going, the voltages coming into the battery seemed sufficient (13.5V+). Your experience sounds essentially like mine and seems very plausible.

Is this what you're referring to as the starter solenoid (http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...?idproduct=746), on AF1 I think they refer to it as the starter relay.

On the Englandshire side of the Welsh Border
    What year is your bike please?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    What year is your bike please?
    It's a 2007

Quote Originally Posted by qualdoth View Post
    Thanks for that advice, I hadn't considered that. I did an initial check of the electrical system, even with a freshly charged battery (grabbed battery from my 2nd bike) the bike barely started up (batt voltage was 12.7V+!!). Once it was going, the voltages coming into the battery seemed sufficient (13.5V+). Your experience sounds essentially like mine and seems very plausible.

Is this what you're referring to as the starter solenoid (http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...?idproduct=746), on AF1 I think they refer to it as the starter relay.
    No worries mate.

The pic at af1 is definitely the little sucker. I simply bought my solenoid at my local bike shop. The solenoid I bought is an aftermarket one and not a genuine yamaha one that a number of aprilia pilots have put on their bikes. The theory is that the yamaha part can handle higher amp draw and that may well be true. However, upon investigation, the bike shop bloke said he had seen plenty of genuine factory fitted solenoids fail too and so with customers' consent, had simply replaced them with the aftermarket variety and they seemed to do the job just as well as the genuine counterparts. So, I decided to just buy the aftermarket one as it was ready to go.
    Now, I know I could of bought one from yamaha parts online or such for around $38US if I rememeber, but then I'd have freight charges and have to wait for it to arrive etc.... here to Aussie. . The decision was easy. Once I put the new solenoid in and hit the starter button and ..... shazzam!!!!.

I think the important thing to remember is that the solenoid is one of those 'out of site out of mind' parts, yet it obviously plays a vital role in the operation of your motorcycle. Its' mechanical contacts have to engage time and time again while handling some pretty serious electrical load inductance to fire your beast into life!!! It's life expectancy and performance is very dependant on a good and fully recharging electrical system and a well maintained engine and fuel system. Good maintenance of your machine should see most solenoids last a reasonable length of time. However, poor maintenance could see that poor little solenoid die a premature death. My observations however, tell me that nearly all of you fine pilots out there are fastidious in the care of these beautiful motorcycles.

So, it leads me to the same conclusion like alot of others here that the charging system on these Italian stallions is or most probably the 'achilles heel' in providing an otherwise reliable motorcycle. This 'achilles heel' is in no way restricted to Aprilia only. There are plenty of other different bike brands out there who are in the same boat.
    Cheers.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    In case anyone is wondering how this turned out... It definitely seems to have been the starter relay. I ordered up a replacement from AF1 and replaced it using some instructions I'd found on here:
    http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...-starter-relay

The bike is back to starting normally, without any hesitation, no weird EFI/ECU resets, etc.

Thanks qualdoth good to know .glad your up and running

Good result mate!! Glad we could help ya out. It's always feels good to have a win.
    cheers.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast